Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

To those without skid plates.......

Old 06-20-2008, 11:21 AM   #21
p38 is on a distinguished road
p38's Tacoma Gallery
do you remember the details of tests and the results?. I don't believe everything that myth-busters comes up with. A friend of mine told me that they tested to see you could shoot a arrow into another arrow (like Robenhood) and they said it's not possible. Well, I have done it multiple times at 23 yards and have pictures to prove it.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:05 PM   #22
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by p38 View Post
do you remember the details of tests and the results?. I don't believe everything that myth-busters comes up with. A friend of mine told me that they tested to see you could shoot a arrow into another arrow (like Robenhood) and they said it's not possible. Well, I have done it multiple times at 23 yards and have pictures to prove it.
No, that test was to split an arrow completely from end to end. They could hit it, and split part of it, but not slice the arrow in half like in Robinhood. Is that what you've been able to do?

However, I do agreed that sugar might do something. I mean, they didn't run the engine for 3 months to know what would happen down the road if you didn't know about it. On the other hand, there ARE several fuel filters to keep dirt and crap out of the engine so if those are fine enough to catch sugar then you'd be ok.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:13 PM   #23
Mingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMingy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mingy's Tacoma Gallery
Perhaps note

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner07 View Post
According to mythbusters, that doesn't do anything.
But I can think of a few things to put in a tank that will 100% for sure destroy an engine.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #24
p38's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my arrows. As you can see the arrow didn't make it down the shaft but did not exit, if would have made it a lot farther down the shaft if I were using broad heads and not field points. In order for the shaft to penetrate from tip, the arrow being hip would have to ba a larger diameter than the one being shot (saw this one on you tube), you'd have to be very close to the target or be using heavy arrows and a speed bow to generate very high kinetic energy.

Sorry for the tangent on irrelevant topic, I'm a bow hunter though.
Attached Thumbnails
To those without skid plates.......-dsc00572.jpg  
Old 06-20-2008, 02:13 PM   #25
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Here's my arrows. As you can see the arrow didn't make it down the shaft but did not exit, if would have made it a lot farther down the shaft if I were using broad heads and not field points. In order for the shaft to penetrate from tip, the arrow being hip would have to ba a larger diameter than the one being shot (saw this one on you tube), you'd have to be very close to the target or be using heavy arrows and a speed bow to generate very high kinetic energy.

Sorry for the tangent on irrelevant topic, I'm a bow hunter though.
That's nice, but I think their whole point was to split the arrow in 2 like that one shot in Robin Hood.

Either way, if you can do it on video send it in for them to revisit. Maybe they'd pay for you to go there and do it for them.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:55 PM   #26
p38's Tacoma Gallery
How bout splitting the arrow in four. This is not my shot but I have done this too but as you can see it doesn't make it all the way, these are carbon arrows though, wood splits a lot easer.
Attached Thumbnails
To those without skid plates.......-accuracy.jpg  
Old 06-20-2008, 04:55 PM   #27
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banchi94 View Post
Hey chris, while you're at it, you might as well start fabbing a bulldozer-type bumper that you can strap gas-stealing folks to.
One step ahead of ya! Im makeing a mount that will allow me to use a rail road tie as a bumper!
Old 06-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #28
p38's Tacoma Gallery
If you get into a accident with that bumper I wonder if it'll absorb enough of the energy or else it's going to get transfered to the frame of the truck and then you'll have some real problems.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:08 PM   #29
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
If you get into a accident with that bumper I wonder if it'll absorb enough of the energy or else it's going to get transfered to the frame of the truck and then you'll have some real problems.
Im going to use the factory bumper brackets, so, it shouldnt transmit any more damage to the frame than the factoy bumper.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:47 PM   #30
Western Alliance
bauermike is on a distinguished road

Army: 25th Inf Div STRYKER, 10th Mountain DIV
bauermike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Not sure if everybody has heard, but, there have been some cases of gasoline theft. Thieves are simply going under your truck and puncturing the fuel tank. Easy to do since its plastic. Anyway, Im working on fabbing up a steel cover for the bottom of the fuel tank. Looking to make it out of cold rolled steel, and it will protect the sides of the tank as well. It will be a bolt on, so it can be removed if you need to drop the tank for any reason. It will be made from 1/8 or less to keep weight down. This is still a couple of weeks off. Has anyone else done this, or know of someone who has, or am I going to be the first?

Hey Chris, Look at some specs of the M998 HMMV, you can usually find these on the internet in the Army Technical Manuals. I was actually looking into this myself. With a little cutting, it seems that the skid plate just might fit. I looked at my own gas tank and it is pretty close to the M998. I can look for a Military scrap yard and give you some info if you need.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:40 PM   #31
BlueTaco is on a distinguished road
Army: Military Police - Dog handler
BlueTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauermike View Post
Hey Chris, Look at some specs of the M998 HMMV, you can usually find these on the internet in the Army Technical Manuals. I was actually looking into this myself. With a little cutting, it seems that the skid plate just might fit. I looked at my own gas tank and it is pretty close to the M998. I can look for a Military scrap yard and give you some info if you need.
hmm...maybe I can acquire one from the motorpool...
Old 06-20-2008, 06:56 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauermike View Post
Thanks, man. I already made one. I sent you pics, and I started a thread on it.