Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

To those without skid plates.......

Old 05-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
To those without skid plates.......

Not sure if everybody has heard, but, there have been some cases of gasoline theft. Thieves are simply going under your truck and puncturing the fuel tank. Easy to do since its plastic. Anyway, Im working on fabbing up a steel cover for the bottom of the fuel tank. Looking to make it out of cold rolled steel, and it will protect the sides of the tank as well. It will be a bolt on, so it can be removed if you need to drop the tank for any reason. It will be made from 1/8 or less to keep weight down. This is still a couple of weeks off. Has anyone else done this, or know of someone who has, or am I going to be the first?
Old 05-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
I dont know if youll be the first, but i am goin to try that myself.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'll post pics to aid those that want to make their own.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I'll post pics to aid those that want to make their own.
post pics and prices if u wanna start an assembly line...lol
Old 05-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #5

I was thinking of that. For a price, Im going to target $200.00 or so. It depends on the labor and material cost. Painting not included, but I was thinking of a rubberized coating for durability and to match the underside of the truck.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like an awesome mod, Chris!! i'd probably be down for one if you end up producing some.

im also gonna fab up a skid type plate for my transmission, but its gonna be a little while yet(as i dont see anyone having a skid plate for the prerunner's transmission).
Old 05-23-2008, 06:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
sounds like an awesome mod, Chris!! i'd probably be down for one if you end up producing some.

im also gonna fab up a skid type plate for my transmission, but its gonna be a little while yet(as i dont see anyone having a skid plate for the prerunner's transmission).
The transmission is tucket up pretty good. The only thing I can see getting hit is the exhaust. Im planning on haveing a new exhaust made that tucks it up some. Im just working on size right now. I dont want to loose any h.p.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:32 PM   #8
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Wouldn't just be easier to drop a hose down the fill hole and siphon the gas out? Or is there something to stop that now?

Not that a skid plate is a bad thing, but do you have a locking gas cap too?
Old 05-25-2008, 07:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
Wouldn't just be easier to drop a hose down the fill hole and siphon the gas out? Or is there something to stop that now?

Not that a skid plate is a bad thing, but do you have a locking gas cap too?
No need for a locking gas cap. You cant siphone gas out because there is baffles and such in the way. This was started by the manufactures in the late 80's early 90's. Wouldnt matter anyway, as theives are poking a hole in the bottom of the tank and draining the fuel that way.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #10
Come on, Touch it......
ChrisDeSoup will become famous soon enough

ChrisDeSoup's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
No need for a locking gas cap. You cant siphone gas out because there is baffles and such in the way. This was started by the manufactures in the late 80's early 90's. Wouldnt matter anyway, as theives are poking a hole in the bottom of the tank and draining the fuel that way.
Here in Nor Cal they have been hitting fleet vans and trucks to poach gas! There was a bit on the news about gas theft at a food bank, they also went after some meals on wheels vans. Said some idiot just punctured the tanks w/ a screwdriver and must have used a oil change tub......

Guess at $4.15 some folks think it's worth it...... when a small spark causes the tank to become a flamethrower on that ass wonder if they will still think it's worth it?
Old 05-25-2008, 08:27 PM   #11
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Shoot at this stage of gas prices? A year from now it's gonna be like MAD MAXX around here!
Old 05-25-2008, 08:47 PM   #12

No kidding!
Old 05-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #13
Come on, Touch it......
ChrisDeSoup will become famous soon enough

ChrisDeSoup's Tacoma Gallery
Mel Gibson is awesome!
Old 05-25-2008, 09:11 PM   #14
McMantus is on a distinguished road
McMantus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
post pics and prices if u wanna start an assembly line...lol
X2: I'd be in for one - Even if it was just a set of dimensions or a template.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:17 PM   #15
sormi is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Radio Repair
sormi's Tacoma Gallery
We had some guy stealing copper from one of the power stations here in East Austin. He pulled out one to many grounds and KaPow... People heard the noise and came running to see what it was. They said the guy was completely on fire and his flesh was falling off. They rushed him to Brooks Burn center in San Antonio. He died a few days later. His family said he was feeding a crack habit. Anyway I work for one of the semiconductor factories in Austin, we got hit with a power glitch when he shorted out. Our facilities said that was the biggest glitch we ever had.

So you never know one day some bone head might make a spark and will be on the evening news..
Old 05-26-2008, 06:48 AM   #16

I guess the Darwin award would go to the first guy to steal gas by puncturing the bottom of the tank while lighting up a crack pipe.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:01 PM   #17
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sormi View Post
We had some guy stealing copper from one of the power stations here in East Austin. He pulled out one to many grounds and KaPow... People heard the noise and came running to see what it was. They said the guy was completely on fire and his flesh was falling off. They rushed him to Brooks Burn center in San Antonio. He died a few days later. His family said he was feeding a crack habit. Anyway I work for one of the semiconductor factories in Austin, we got hit with a power glitch when he shorted out. Our facilities said that was the biggest glitch we ever had.

So you never know one day some bone head might make a spark and will be on the evening news..
Becoming the path to ground is always a bad idea.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:21 AM   #18
p38 is on a distinguished road
p38's Tacoma Gallery
Unfortunately having our gas stolen isn't the only thing we have to worry about. All you need is some little punk ass putting salt or sugar in your tank and there goes your engine. I think having a locking cap is a good idea.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:40 AM   #19
Banchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud of

Name: Ron
Banchi94's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Shoot at this stage of gas prices? A year from now it's gonna be like MAD MAXX around here!
Hey chris, while you're at it, you might as well start fabbing a bulldozer-type bumper that you can strap gas-stealing folks to.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:42 AM   #20
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
sooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: A A Ron
sooner07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by p38 View Post
Unfortunately having our gas stolen isn't the only thing we have to worry about. All you need is some little punk ass putting salt or sugar in your tank and there goes your engine. I think having a locking cap is a good idea.
According to mythbusters, that doesn't do anything.