1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"rear End Wrap Up"

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by SongDog, May 24, 2008.

1. May 24, 2008 at 5:33 PM
    SongDog

SongDog [OP] Active Member

Member:
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    SR54x4 Sport
    Tint, Husky floor liners, UWS low profile toolbox, 2.5 lift, 265/70/17 BFG A/T, Moto Metal 951 17X9
    I took the truck to the dealer today for an oil change and asked them to checkout an annoying "bump" that I experience during braking. It seems to happen more while coming to a complete stop from a downhill grade. Once the truck has "stopped" I feel a "bump" in the brake pedal. The service advisor had it cheked out and found nothing out wrong and chaulked it up to "rear end wrap up". He said that many people with Toyota and Lexus Trucks/SUV's complain about this but nothing has ever been done about it (ie. no TSB). He claimed to have owned several Toyota vehicles himself with the same "problem". This is my first Toyota, so I don't have anything to compare it to. What do ya'll think. Does your truck do this?

2. May 24, 2008 at 6:26 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Hell my 2001 does it but its no big. Lots of guys have it here sure to answer up:)

3. May 24, 2008 at 6:45 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    I think you are talking about the "lunge" forward. Most new Taco's have it and it goes away as your mileage adds up. I've never experienced it since I hit about 6000 miles.

4. May 24, 2008 at 7:38 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    You are describing axel wrap. When you come to a stop, and you "relax" your foot on the brake (maybe-maybe not), the springs relive the tension they are under causing a "thump". No big deal. I have been in trucks in which it would feel like some one bumps you from behind.:)

5. May 25, 2008 at 4:16 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Sounds like it could be axle wrap.... which isn't a bad thing and normal. With a stiffer suspension, you don't get it as much. I have the leaf spring TSB performed and I don't get like I used to.

Do you have an Automatic? It could also be the auto lurch as most folks call it. After you come to a complete stop, a couple seconds (varies) after you stop, you feel a bump. That bump is the rpm's increasing and/or the transmission downshifting. Perfectly normal...

6. May 25, 2008 at 7:20 AM
    SongDog

SongDog [OP] Active Member

Member:
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    SR54x4 Sport
    Tint, Husky floor liners, UWS low profile toolbox, 2.5 lift, 265/70/17 BFG A/T, Moto Metal 951 17X9
    Thanks for the input. Good to know that nothing is wrong.

Products Discussed in

To Top