Notices

How To: Throttle body cleaning 2005+ V6

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #221
Rays08 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Flight engineer 191st CAM
Name: Ray
Rays08's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for your help, and for a great write up and photos. Now I am confident I can change the part myself, although it costs $900 from the dealer. I am going for used.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #222
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rays08 View Post
Thanks for your help, and for a great write up and photos. Now I am confident I can change the part myself, although it costs $900 from the dealer. I am going for used.
Good luck. And welcome to TW! Take pictures & do a write up on " How To: Replace a Throttle body".
Old 02-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #223
MrTacoma is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Firefighter
MrTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I just did mine yesterday...the back on the throttle body towards where it was conntected was as black as my iphone cleaned it out and pulled the MAF sensor sprayed it to..I was amazed with amount of power I got back and how much pick up it gained from doing this less than hour maintence..however when im driving and accelerating and slowing down seems to make a fizzing noise is that cause something wasnt connected properly or is loose or is it just me?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #224
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
Engine at high idle is normal. Sometimes it takes a few hours of driving before the idle returns to normal. By disconnecting the battery the computer is reset to a certain degree, so it takes some driving to allow the computer to reprogram.

I later found that if you don't like the way your truck is idling or shifting (which can change whenever you disconnect the battery) that removing and cleaning the MAS sensor is the remedy. It's really easy to do and the sensors are in a casing, so unless you stick something in the casing or drop the whole thing it's not going to break. REMEMBER TO DISCONNECT BATTERY FIRST before you remove the MAS sensor. Spray it clean, let it dry and then reinstall. You might get a high idle at first, but after a couple of short drives you should notice the truck idling and shifting a lot better than before at least it did for me.

I also noticed the TB butterfly had a slight gap when closed, I think it's normal for our trucks. If you look at the pictures in the beginning of this thread it also looks like the OP's butterfly does not completely close as well.
If you unhook the wire harnes at the MAF do you still have to unhook the battery and will it still afteck the idedling ? Also can you just take the MAF sesor out of the intake tub ? So that your not trying to spray it from inside the intake tub?
Old 03-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #225
TacosNBurritos is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
TacosNBurritos's Tacoma Gallery
Cleaned MAF and Throttle body today. It was my 30k maintenance. I noticed just a little carbon build up. The toothbrush I used was black so it did its job. The cleaner recommended doing this whenever you change your engine air filter. I swapped the OEM filter for a K&N. I did notice when I fired it up it idles at 1500. Will monitor to see it come down. Not difficult at all to do.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #226
MrTacoma is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Firefighter
MrTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I changed my spark plugs when I did my oil change / tire rotation/ air filter , I decided when doing spark plugs i said what the hell ill clean maf and throttle body again after about 1000 miles...the maf and throttle were barley dirty at all not suprised but I figured I'd clean it again since I was right there...the truck feel really good and hell of a lot strong idk it its plugs changing the oil or new air filter or cleaning the throttle and maf..idk if ill see result for a couple 100 miles cause I disconnected the battery so I think ecu has readjust but it feel really good I didn't have issues I had before...I'm starting question where u gotta disconnect battery since ur unplugging sensor and unplugging throttle they shouldn't have any electricity in them since the source is cut out, like sparkplugs don't need battery out wouldn't same follow for maf and throttle?
Old 03-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #227
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTacoma View Post
I changed my spark plugs when I did my oil change / tire rotation/ air filter , I decided when doing spark plugs i said what the hell ill clean maf and throttle body again after about 1000 miles...the maf and throttle were barley dirty at all not suprised but I figured I'd clean it again since I was right there...the truck feel really good and hell of a lot strong idk it its plugs changing the oil or new air filter or cleaning the throttle and maf..idk if ill see result for a couple 100 miles cause I disconnected the battery so I think ecu has readjust but it feel really good I didn't have issues I had before...I'm starting question where u gotta disconnect battery since ur unplugging sensor and unplugging throttle they shouldn't have any electricity in them since the source is cut out, like sparkplugs don't need battery out wouldn't same follow for maf and throttle?
Unplugging the maf doesn't effect the ECU. It is still drawing current from the battery. Disconnecting the battery is kinda like rebooting the ecu. It will help the vehicle get back to normal operating procedures faster, than if you didn't disconnect. Another words the high idle may take longer to settle in by not disconnecting the battery. This is what I took from my research when I was writing the "How to".

The illustration I found to show where the different ecu's are located. And the engine control module.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #228
boto is just really niceboto is just really niceboto is just really niceboto is just really niceboto is just really nice

Name: Philip
boto's Tacoma Gallery
wow,thanks ,il try this.mine got 150k and it has never been cleaned
Old 04-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #229
Thread killer
LBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLBtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LBtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Just did mine, took about an hour but I went slow and changed my wiper blades too

Thanks for the write up, it made it super easy (yes!! nice arrows too!!!)

I ended up not moving the valve and just cleaning around it, just in case it would mess something up.

Idle was a little high at first but after going around the block it seemed fine.
Throttle response was better and no hesitation.

116k miles and it was prbably never done.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #230
forealz is on a distinguished road
forealz's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for the write up. I did it on Sunday. So far so good.

I'm a little worried I overtorqued the 4 bolts on the throttle body though. I got it up to 70 on the highway and it seemed fine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 was the wrench I used.

I think I did closer to 15/20 supposedly the wrench is "calibrated to +/- 4%" so I might be okay?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #231
Hans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hans Moleman's Tacoma Gallery
So it's ok to move the butterfly manually? I know with some electronic throttles, moving the butterfly manually will damage the servo motor or the electronics.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #232
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Moleman View Post
So it's ok to move the butterfly manually? I know with some electronic throttles, moving the butterfly manually will damage the servo motor or the electronics.
Yes. It wont hurt anything. Dot go nuts, and sit there moving it back and forth until your finger hurts, but moving it to clean isnt bad.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #233
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
I did this at the same time I changed out my plugs. I pulled the MAF out to clean it, no problems (of course I treated it like a fragile computer sensor). Funny thing is, it looked spotlessly clean before I sprayed it. Now the TB, that was black as sin.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #234
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
great write up. gonna do this when my 08 reaches 50K miles.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #235
easystickerco is on a distinguished road
easystickerco's Tacoma Gallery
This is one of those threads that will go on forever. I just did it to my Tacoma, and WOW. Bogging went away completely. Thanks to the OP
Old 06-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #236
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by easystickerco View Post
This is one of those threads that will go on forever. I just did it to my Tacoma, and WOW. Bogging went away completely. Thanks to the OP
How many miles do you have with your Bogging ?
Old 06-02-2013, 03:46 AM   #237
easystickerco is on a distinguished road
easystickerco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by george3 View Post
How many miles do you have with your Bogging ?

I recently bought 05 4dr 4.0 used. B4 I paid for it, I took it to the dealer asked them to check it out. Told them about the bogging between 1k-1500 rpms

Came back clean, all service n maintenance records done at Toyota, Strange thing is I asked about the bogging, she said that's normal. All Tacomas do that.

Mine doesn't do it anymore! Thanks to this thread.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #238
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by easystickerco View Post

I recently bought 05 4dr 4.0 used. B4 I paid for it, I took it to the dealer asked them to check it out. Told them about the bogging between 1k-1500 rpms

Came back clean, all service n maintenance records done at Toyota, Strange thing is I asked about the bogging, she said that's normal. All Tacomas do that.

Mine doesn't do it anymore! Thanks to this thread.
Very interesting. Dealers - go figure. We know more then they do just by reading TW or maybe they just don't give a shite. Thank 4 the reply.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:33 AM   #239
JCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Over your paygrade
Name: Master Chief (E-9) USN (Ret)
JCruiser's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by george3 View Post
Very interesting. Dealers - go figure. We know more then they do just by reading TW or maybe they just don't give a shite. Thank 4 the reply.

"Most" service writers have never been mechanics much less part changers, especially at the "Stealerships". I have learned more from this website than most of the service writers even know.... and I appreciate those on here that do share the tips, tricks and ideas. Thank you all.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #240
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCruiser View Post
"Most" service writers have never been mechanics much less part changers, especially at the "Stealerships". I have learned more from this website than most of the service writers even know.... and I appreciate those on here that do share the tips, tricks and ideas. Thank you all.
X2

Products Discussed in this Thread