Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

How To: Throttle body cleaning 2005+ V6

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #262
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by george3 View Post
Is there a write up and or link to do this on a 2.7. Thanks for any reply. Curious George
Search is your friend

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/4-c...-cleaning.html
Old 03-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #264
Crazy Cracker
669sprink has much to be proud of669sprink has much to be proud of669sprink has much to be proud of669sprink has much to be proud of669sprink has much to be proud of669sprink has much to be proud of669sprink has much to be proud of669sprink has much to be proud of669sprink has much to be proud of669sprink has much to be proud of

Name: Bobby
669sprink's Tacoma Gallery
Dude great write up I was laughing so hard on the arrows you made
Old 03-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #265
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
I just did mine tonight. I completely took out the MAF and T-Body for it's douching.

I took it for a 10 minute ride and I can see a small improvement in power. My average MPG before cleaning is 19.8 to 20.1 on the UltraGauge.

I'm curious to see the improvement. BTW, the T-Body wasn't very diry.

Before and after pics.....

Attached Thumbnails
How To: Throttle body cleaning 2005+ V6-p3030106.jpg   How To: Throttle body cleaning 2005+ V6-p3030105.jpg   How To: Throttle body cleaning 2005+ V6-p3030108.jpg   How To: Throttle body cleaning 2005+ V6-p3030107.jpg  
Old 03-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #266
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by File IFR View Post
I just did mine tonight. I completely took out the MAF and T-Body for it's douching.

I took it for a 10 minute ride and I can see a small improvement in power. My average MPG before cleaning is 19.8 to 20.1 on the UltraGauge.

I'm curious to see the improvement. BTW, the T-Body wasn't very diry.

Before and after pics.....

How many miles on that TB ? Thanks.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #267
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Quote:
Thanks 4 the link. I didn't know how to word the search to get the results you posted. Thanks again 4 the help. Just went 2 the link - beautiful write up with pics.
I know... can be tough to find what you are looking for sometimes.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #269
Gone But Not Forgotten

Air Force:
Quote:
Thanks again Red
anytime
Old 03-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #270
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How many miles on that TB ? Thanks.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:34 PM   #271
Do. Or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
adio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shedadio is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 740TH Combat Support Company
adio's Tacoma Gallery
Did mine today, at 51.9K miles on the ODO. Thanks for this write up, made it easy.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #272
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by File IFR View Post
Good 4 U jumping on it early. Mine has 70+ and never been done. Guess I should do it when the weather breaks. Is it scheduled 2 B done on any Toyota paper work like the 30 - 60 - 90K maintenance list Thanks. Curious George
Old 04-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #273
MPM0006 is on a distinguished road
MPM0006's Tacoma Gallery
I had been waiting to try this write-up and did mine a few weeks ago at 114K. It took my RPMs down noticeably especially at the 60-70mph range. I drive an 06 4.0 6 speed and before I cleaned the TB and MAF, I would throw the truck into neutral on a down hill or to coast and while it would originally be in the 900-1000s, my RPM would jump up to 1500 and hover around 1200 before going back down. It has continued to do the same thing since the cleanup. Was my MAF sensor out of whack even before I attempted the cleanup or am I looking at a hole different issue? It took about 5-10 minutes of driving after the cleanup for the RPMs to function normally (i.e. not sit at 2000). I am a newbie and paranoid, but I am jealous of my GF's accord when I throw it into neutral and holds the line at 900.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:54 PM   #274
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
First let me start by saying this is a great write up and the pic's are very helpful. Thank you OP !! Oh and lets not forget the red arrows. I am getting ready to do mine. My question is, it wont hurt anything to just push the flap open on the throttle body? The reason I ask is I was reading some where that because these trucks are drive by wire ( electric ) not linkage like the older models that you have to turn the ignition on and depress the gas pedal or it will mess with the computer or even harm the throttle body. I did notice that you said that you had no issues so do's the turn the key on not apply to ower trucks? Did the cleaning on my 1st. Gen many times but this will be my first on the 2nd. Gen.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:35 PM   #275
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma guy View Post
First let me start by saying this is a great write up and the pic's are very helpful. Thank you OP !! Oh and lets not forget the red arrows. I am getting ready to do mine. My question is, it wont hurt anything to just push the flap open on the throttle body? The reason I ask is I was reading some where that because these trucks are drive by wire ( electric ) not linkage like the older models that you have to turn the ignition on and depress the gas pedal or it will mess with the computer or even harm the throttle body. I did notice that you said that you had no issues so do's the turn the key on not apply to ower trucks? Did the cleaning on my 1st. Gen many times but this will be my first on the 2nd. Gen.
I didn't do anything special to the TB, I opened the butterfly by hand and scrubbed away. No ill effects, except for a high idle for a few days until the computer relearned the air/fuel mixture of a clean MAF and TB.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:43 PM   #276
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
I didn't do anything special to the TB, I opened the butterfly by hand and scrubbed away. No ill effects, except for a high idle for a few days until the computer relearned the air/fuel mixture of a clean MAF and TB.
Good to know thank you for your reply. So it's save to say that that rule doesn't apply
to these trucks.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:04 AM   #277
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma guy View Post
Good to know thank you for your reply. So it's save to say that that rule doesn't apply
to these trucks.
I wouldn't go opening and closing the TB many times to test it, but a few times didn't hurt and I didn't have the key on. As a matter of fact, I had the battery disconnected while I worked on the truck. Did plugs and TB/MAF cleaning at the same time.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:39 AM   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
I wouldn't go opening and closing the TB many times to test it, but a few times didn't hurt and I didn't have the key on. As a matter of fact, I had the battery disconnected while I worked on the truck. Did plugs and TB/MAF cleaning at the same time.
Yeah I would open and close it to many times myself. LOL and again thanks for your reply. Much appreciated !!!
Old 04-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #279
newbie808taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
newbie808taco's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Wow, Thanks for a great write up. I just got an 08 Access cab with 162k miles. Will be doing this today.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:38 PM   #280
welterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant futurewelterbf123 has a brilliant future
Navy: HT1
welterbf123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trd7 View Post
Has anyone cleaned their throttle body in a 1st gen?
Yes. About every 30,000 miles...

Products Discussed in this Thread