Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

How To: Throttle body cleaning 2005+ V6

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-26-2014, 04:09 PM   #281
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by welterbf123 View Post
Yes. About every 30,000 miles...
Just curious - how does it look after only 30,000 - mine has 74,000 and I have not done it yet - I do use Techron B 4 every oil change - OCI 5,000. Thanks. Curious George
Old 04-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #282
newbie808taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
newbie808taco's Tacoma Gallery
A newbie taco owner so please pardon if I ask a stupid question. When I start up my taco, the idle stays high. It does come down after it warms up. Could cleaning TB & MAF help solve this problem?. Thanks for any advise.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #283
Gene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to all

Marines: 1982-1988 Okinawa, Japan & Southern California
Name: Eugene
Gene563's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie808taco View Post
A newbie taco owner so please pardon if I ask a stupid question. When I start up my taco, the idle stays high. It does come down after it warms up. Could cleaning TB & MAF help solve this problem?. Thanks for any advise.
Welcome to the forum.
The idle is typically higher when first started (around 1500 RPM) then gradually comes down as it warms up.
What people are speaking of in this thread, is abnormally high idle. Possibly from the cleaning process, but more likely from the battery disconnect, the ECU has to re-calibrate. When I did this, it only took a short drive to get things back to normal.
How many miles are on the truck?
Old 04-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #284
Thanks, Gene563. I have 163,xxx on it. I did engine oil & filetr, trans oil & filter also rear diff. Gonna do plugs this weekend and prob MAF & TB too. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #285
Gene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to all

Marines: 1982-1988 Okinawa, Japan & Southern California
Name: Eugene
Gene563's Tacoma Gallery
No problem Newbie,
Might I suggest an air filter replacement while you're accessing the TB.
If you hadn't already seen it, there's an excellent plug replacement how-to in here as well.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:35 PM   #286
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
Kind of random, but does anyone know how to tell if the MAF sensor is bad?
I just went to clean mine and it looks kind of black.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:53 PM   #287
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJALLDAY702 View Post
Kind of random, but does anyone know how to tell if the MAF sensor is bad?
I just went to clean mine and it looks kind of black.
Did you spray it with MAF cleaner? If you did, did it clean up or stay like that? It should be relatively shiny.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:55 PM   #288
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
Did you spray it with MAF cleaner? If you did, did it clean up or stay like that? It should be relatively shiny.

Yep. This was right after I sprayed it with cleaner.

Whellllpppp. Time for a new one! Lol
Old 05-01-2014, 06:55 AM   #289
Always outnumbered, never outgunned
Agent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent Smith is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Agent Smith's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yep. This was right after I sprayed it with cleaner.

Whellllpppp. Time for a new one! Lol
In the pic it's hard to see, but I meant is the sensor shiny? The bulb at the end is designed to be darker than the stem, black or dark brown. I guess I should have said was does it look dull like coated in dust or oily dirt? If it's shiny black bulb and shiny metal stem, you are ok. Unless you suddenly get shitty mileage or your truck sucks at acceleration or you throw a code, I wouldn't replace it.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:32 AM   #290
U MAD? OH U MAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
In the pic it's hard to see, but I meant is the sensor shiny? The bulb at the end is designed to be darker than the stem, black or dark brown. I guess I should have said was does it look dull like coated in dust or oily dirt? If it's shiny black bulb and shiny metal stem, you are ok. Unless you suddenly get shitty mileage or your truck sucks at acceleration or you throw a code, I wouldn't replace it.

I believe it's shot. It didn't seem to have any shine to any part of it. I do feel like my truck is extremely sluggish, and gets shit gas milage. But I also have 35's, 4.56 gears, long travel and fenders that are like parachutes.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:13 PM   #291
Just did my MAF sensor and TB. I figured that since I was doing plugs, I'm half way there so I did all three things today. My TB has put a new meaning in the word "black". Couldn't believe how black it was, so I took TB off to better clean the inside and the black plastic housing as well. Thanks all for the advise. It was easier than I thought.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:57 AM   #292
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I believe it's shot. It didn't seem to have any shine to any part of it. I do feel like my truck is extremely sluggish, and gets shit gas milage. But I also have 35's, 4.56 gears, long travel and fenders that are like parachutes.
MAF won't fix you mileage with that setup. Don't waste your money replacing it, if it isn't throwing a code then the maf should be fine. As long as you didn't break the thin wires inside it. Don't worry too much about how clean it is. The clean throttle body will make the most difference.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:00 AM   #293
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 669sprink View Post
Dude great write up I was laughing so hard on the arrows you made
Thanks. Red box lid is old school photoshop.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:13 PM   #295
dakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dakota
dakotasyota's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, just cleaned my MAF sensor and TB along with changing my sparkplugs. When I started it it idled very high (2100) then dropped down to 1700 like most people were saying. After reading this whole thread I'm not worried about that, I'm sure it will work itself out. However, I do have something weird going on that I didn't see mentioned. When I'm slowing down and then I push the clutch in, my rmps soar to 2100 then drop to like 1700 then back up to 2100 then they return to 1700... I also noticed that the manual's rev hang was more noticeable between shifts. Do you guys think that this will work it self out as well? I only drove it up and down the road last night.... maybe I just need to put some more miles on it...
I do have 155,000 miles and it appears that no maintenance was ever done! The sparkplugs were worn down to nothing (still had denso on one side and ngk on the other from the factory) and the MAF, TB, and filter were filthy. Naturally my truck feels like a rocket now but this idle situation when I push in the clutch worries me...
Old 06-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #296
Tovar28 is on a distinguished road

Name: David
Tovar28's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Thanks for the write up really helped!! Mine really needed a god cleaning
Old 08-19-2014, 05:52 AM   #297
Pikngrn is on a distinguished road
Name: Tami
Pikngrn's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you still for this write up. It helped my 07 power problems right away, but now over a month later, I am having the same problem with no codes, but my readiness codes are still there P0300...100..102, 125. Those never went away, even with the cleaning. I try to do as much myself, as I can but am limited by strength in getting some bolts off, but any advice in what to check next? I changed my spark plugs & air filter, but what would be the best things to do next? (It's at 125,000mi)
Thanks so much!
Old 08-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #298
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikngrn View Post
Thank you still for this write up. It helped my 07 power problems right away, but now over a month later, I am having the same problem with no codes, but my readiness codes are still there P0300...100..102, 125. Those never went away, even with the cleaning. I try to do as much myself, as I can but am limited by strength in getting some bolts off, but any advice in what to check next? I changed my spark plugs & air filter, but what would be the best things to do next? (It's at 125,000mi)
Thanks so much!
Did you clear the codes after the work was done ?
Old 08-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #299
Pikngrn is on a distinguished road
Name: Tami
Pikngrn's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, in doing that it always seems to put me back to the 20 readiness codes that I have to drive off and I end up back with the same ones. I am too short to see around the intake as well as I would like, but I am going to give it one more good search for a leak tonight. This time, I did remove the throttle body for an exceptionally good cleaning and there was zero improvement , unlike the last time. Is the throttle supposed to be completely closed? Because there is a slight gap on mine and it doesn't close all the way. the only other one I have seen is on my lawn tractor & it was completely closed. Thanks a bunch!

Products Discussed in this Thread