Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

How To: Throttle body cleaning 2005+ V6

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2011, 12:17 AM   #42
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullback View Post
HI Sean nice demo on the clean up very clear. now my question before i go to the Dealer
i have 2009 TACO 4x4 V6 48000 miles 90% TPK Hwy driving, 3 weeks ago i noticed as i am driving i hear a humming from the engine, not engine sound , but like some thing spining freely in the background , i noticed today That when i am cruising ,and i let off the gas pedal the Tachometer does not drop instantly, should it??? could this be dirt and GUM issue in the Air flow sensor, would a cleaning like you described here help at this point , also i use regular Gas from a no brand gas station in the Truck. any suggestion is helpful Thanx
The tach doesn't drop much when you are at highway speed, even if you let off the gas. I use regular gas from whatever station is cheapest. I have never had a fuel related problem except the 10% ethanol & getting less mpg.

Is the humming a ticking sound? Which is normal for our engines.

As for your other issue of a humming in the engine & spinning freely.
Best to ask that on the regular board under the correct thread. And get other opinions on this. I'm not sure. I know Chris4x4 is one that is helpful with diagnosis, along with many others.

Good luck,
Sean
Old 02-28-2011, 03:39 AM   #43
Jmont is on a distinguished road

Name: JMont
Jmont's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb

thanks for the detailed instructions. completed this on my 07 and my son's 05. However, now my son's truck has a throttle proplem. The throttle will go up between shifts. What gives? Was sure we didn't touch the MAF sensor and throttle body is clean? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:40 AM   #44
fullback is on a distinguished road
fullback's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
The tach doesn't drop much when you are at highway speed, even if you let off the gas. I use regular gas from whatever station is cheapest. I have never had a fuel related problem except the 10% ethanol & getting less mpg.

Is the humming a ticking sound? Which is normal for our engines.

As for your other issue of a humming in the engine & spinning freely.
Best to ask that on the regular board under the correct thread. And get other opinions on this. I'm not sure. I know Chris4x4 is one that is helpful with diagnosis, along with many others.

Good luck,
Sean
Thanx Sean I cleaned the Trout and the air yesterday seemed to work abid better i give it another day Thanx Again
Old 02-28-2011, 06:23 AM   #45
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmont View Post
thanks for the detailed instructions. completed this on my 07 and my son's 05. However, now my son's truck has a throttle proplem. The throttle will go up between shifts. What gives? Was sure we didn't touch the MAF sensor and throttle body is clean? Any help would be appreciated.
If its a manual tranny, thats just what they do.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:47 PM   #46
fullback is on a distinguished road
fullback's Tacoma Gallery
Engine Racing???

Hi , I Chris, let me know what ya think of this situation i have , i was refered to you by one of the other members here I hear somthing like engine Racing sound !!!! yesterday i cleaned the Thrit and MAF can seem to be a bit better not much gunk in there but today it seemed a bit more peppi, i have 2009 TACO 4x4 V6 48000 miles 90% TPK Hwy driving, 3 weeks ago i noticed as i am driving i hear a humming from the engine, not engine sound , but like some thing spining freely in the background , i noticed today That when i am cruising ,and i let off the gas pedal the Tachometer does not drop instantly, should it??? could this be dirt and GUM issue in the Air flow sensor, would a cleaning like you described here help at this point , also i use regular Gas from a no brand gas station in the Truck. any suggestion is helpful Thanx
Old 02-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #47
ignorance is bliss,
tacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st MLG, 7th ESB,Alpha Co.
Name: Josh
tacoman007's Tacoma Gallery
does the TB have a gasket or seal that connects it? or bolts right up to the black part? thanks
Old 03-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #48
When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan S.
CorrosiveTendency's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimDigg View Post
Anyone done this on a 1st gen?
Yes, I have cleaned the TB on my 99 a few times while i had it. I also used to clean the MAF quite often, and where they are delicate, I never broke it. I would remove it from the intake tube, and GENTLY swab it with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol, MAF cleaner will do the same thing, but if you don't have a can, alcohol works just the same. The truck idled and ran much smoother when both were clean.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:09 AM   #49
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman007 View Post
does the TB have a gasket or seal that connects it? or bolts right up to the black part? thanks
It has a rubber O ring.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:17 AM   #50
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm i may need to do this, im only at 56k but she is 6 years old. Im curious to see what the K&N oil has done to it in there.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:58 AM   #51
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody6047 View Post
Hmmm i may need to do this, im only at 56k but she is 6 years old. Im curious to see what the K&N oil has done to it in there.
The oil wouldn't get in there, unless you over oiled the filter.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #52
goodcanopy is on a distinguished road
Name: john
goodcanopy's Tacoma Gallery
THROTTLE BODY CLN

tHANK YOU SO MUCH...i THINK i WILL DO THIS ASAP
Old 03-09-2011, 09:55 AM   #53
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcanopy View Post
tHANK YOU SO MUCH...i THINK i WILL DO THIS ASAP
You are welcome. It is very easy, even a caveman can do it.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #54
Ive got tiger blood
0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
0BlackTaco6's Tacoma Gallery
nice write up. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #56
LGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shedLGE RAW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FC2(SW)
Name: Rob
LGE RAW's Tacoma Gallery
I pulled mine all the way apart. Since everything bolted on is the same size (10mm) and the only other tools needed are a pair of pliers for the two coolant hoses on the bottom of the TB and a small screw driver to disconnect the two wire harness tiedowns, it was really easy to do. The biggest thing I noticed during the post clean test drive was that the slight hesitation on take off was gone. Since that was so easy, I pulled apart my wifes Sequoia and did it too! Hers would hesitate really bad when pulling off from a stop. This solved it. Guess the TB was sticking closed some.

What I'd really like to see is how to change the secondary filter.

BTW, have something to plug the hoses to the TB if you remove it. Also, losen the radiator cap to relieve any pressure in the system else it has the potential to squirt antifreeze about 2 feet!

Old 03-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #57
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
I just cleaned mine, now the truck is reving high (about 1700). Did I do something wrong?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #58
MASTER CHIEF
STR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
STR8_BEAST's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-4_Yota View Post
I just cleaned mine, now the truck is reving high (about 1700). Did I do something wrong?
How dirty was your TB? It could just be the engine is getting more air than it is used to.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:07 AM   #59
Racerboy221 will become famous soon enoughRacerboy221 will become famous soon enough

Army: Counter Intelligence at NSA
Name: Bill
Racerboy221's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Racerboy221
My 98 1st Gen just started running like crap a week ago....no low end torque, low end sputtering until I am about 3000 RPM's then its running OK. Was going to schedule it for service but the stealership will most likely attempt to ass rape me in the process.

I think I will try this at home before going elsewhere and post the results when completed.

Great write up BTW!
Old 03-31-2011, 02:26 PM   #60
rrh_2 has much to be proud ofrrh_2 has much to be proud ofrrh_2 has much to be proud ofrrh_2 has much to be proud ofrrh_2 has much to be proud ofrrh_2 has much to be proud ofrrh_2 has much to be proud ofrrh_2 has much to be proud of

Marines:
Name: Richard
rrh_2's Tacoma Gallery
my is at like 1700 on idle now too what is it normaly i guess i should of looked at it before i cleaned mine, or maybe its just because my truck is running better

Products Discussed in this Thread