1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How To: Throttle body cleaning 2005+ V6

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by genxer36, May 23, 2010.

1. Sep 29, 2011 at 1:16 AM
    Cortland

Cortland THIS IS AMERICA!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Cortland
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Clifford aka Big Red
    Camburg 4" Spindles, 5100's All Around, All-Pro 1.5" Leaf Pack, All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit, Avid Sliders, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Wicked Flow 18" Muffler
    Will be doing this very soon. Thank you for the write-up.

2. Sep 29, 2011 at 1:18 AM
    genxer36

genxer36 [OP] Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    You are welcome. Easy to do once you get into it.

3. Sep 29, 2011 at 1:55 PM
    Nelz1

Nelz1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DC TRD - 20 Tacoma DC off road
    Bilstein 5100 leveled bed panels fabricated, bed d rings, fog light mod.
    Thanks bro seeing I only pump 87 octane It might time for some TLC

4. Oct 1, 2011 at 1:38 PM
    LifeIsGood169

LifeIsGood169 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 5spd
    Chime Mod Kenwood Headunit Greased all Zerks, locks, and bushings Reverse Flood Lights Extang Cover Weather stripped tailgate Burner Fog Lights Toggle Switches in Dash
    OMG. Great tutorial. I'm bookmarking this. I had a HUGE problem with my 4cyl 2.7L. It would sputter and vibrate so hard shifting into 4th below 45mph. I couldn't believe my truck had to run at 2k rpms in 4th just to avoid stuttering (engine idles at 700rpm). I changed the air filter, spark plugs, lubed up the throttle cables, tons of stuff - still had problems in the winter.

Eventually I bought that $7 mass air sensor cleaner. Wow... such an immediate difference. I can shift into 4th 30-35mph easy (even up hills). I bet in 120,000mi that sensor had never been cleaned. It was rust red before spraying and shiny silver after. Got a 3mpg increase too.

Can't wait to do the throttle body. Wish this was a 4cyl tutorial.

5. Oct 3, 2011 at 10:33 AM
    fatty ac1d

fatty ac1d Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    15 MGM DCSB SR5
    I've heard you shouldn't open the valve by hand in fly by wire systems. Something about messing up the computer?

Instead you should turn the ignition to ON (not running of course) and have someone depress the throttle while you clean the throttle body.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

:notsure:

6. Oct 3, 2011 at 11:56 AM
    genxer36

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Never heard of such a thing. Doing it my way didn't hurt the electronic control. I cleaned mine & put another 100,000 miles on, without any computer issues. The battery negative is diconnected at the time of the cleaning.

7. Oct 3, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    LifeIsGood169

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    Chime Mod Kenwood Headunit Greased all Zerks, locks, and bushings Reverse Flood Lights Extang Cover Weather stripped tailgate Burner Fog Lights Toggle Switches in Dash
    i don't have throttle by wire so I have no idea. All that by wire stuff isn't for me. It does make the controls wicked light and easy to use though.

I drove 2 different cars the other day with steering by wire. Omg what a difference. You can tell instantly. When you hit a bump the wheel doesn't shake. There's also like a .1 second delay turning the wheel. It gets bad through slaloms. It is very smooth on long highway travels thought (2+hr's of travel and you aren't nearly as tired because of all that steering wheel flinching). But idk if I could live with it. I'd probably have to get a manual rack if I ever bought a car like that.

8. Oct 4, 2011 at 7:03 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Ahh, another Motor Week watcher.... Don't know the answer but wondered the same thing after seeing it.

9. Oct 4, 2011 at 4:59 PM
    LifeIsGood169

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    Well we can assume that a cable pully system + spring does not open the throttle anymore because there is no direct link. A new possibility is the throttle is opened by a servo motor according to a voltage given by the gas petal + the ecu. If that is the case turning the servo while it is off is not only hard but could mess up it's "zero point" or position calibration as it opens. This would result in bad petal / engine response.

That makes the most sense in terms of requiring the car to be on and the petal to be depressed. This way the throttle body will open on it's own accord rather than being forced open and rotated by a flat head screw driver. You still want to keep the actual engine off.

10. Oct 25, 2011 at 5:14 PM
    genxer36

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Yikes! I think total cost was $10-$18 for the maf cleaner & throttle body cleaner.

11. Nov 4, 2011 at 7:13 PM
    2011tacotrd

2011tacotrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD offroad double cab
    Pioneer indash navigation unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch, HID heads and fogs. Black leatherette GT seat covers. toytec Ultimate lift. Now its time to mod exterior.
    Thanks for such a easy to understand write up.

12. Nov 4, 2011 at 7:32 PM
    NewMexiTaco

NewMexiTaco Abron Cabron

Member:
    First Name:
    Abraham
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 DC LB TRD Sport
    Weathertech mats; Wet Okole seat covers; Kobalt Lowpro truck box,(sitting in the shed) Snugtop Hi-liner camper shell; AFE Pro Dry air filter, Tailgate Hoseclamp mod; 5100s all around, Light Racing UCAs, OME 885 coils, OME Dakar Leafs, CB Drop, Driveline spacer. Epoxy Satoshi; Redline Hood Struts. 4x Mil Spec. bed D rings; Brute Force Fab custom DCLB Hybrid Sliders, ARB w/ Warn M8000 wench, Diff Breather mod, Alpine Deck w/ ipod cable. Iphone ziptie to rearview mirror 4wd-cam mod!
    This is awesome. I have been meaning to do this for a while. got MAF cleaner, didnt purchase the throttle body cleaner. yet.thanks for the write up. very clear explanation! ijit proof! i hope!!!!:rolleyes:

13. Nov 26, 2011 at 11:50 AM
    PBJ

PBJ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Access Cab
    Painted yellow fogs, 4 extra D-rings in bed, Toyota bed mat, Access roll up cover, 20 % tint all around, 3" OME lift kit w/ add a leaf's and spacer up front, Light racing control arms
    Great write up. Just got done doing this today. I only have 42K on my 06' but it was still pretty nasty. I went ahead and removed the secondary air filter while it was all taken apart. My truck idled high after coming to a stop at first, but it eventually went away. I am assuming the computer had to "re-learn" everything.

14. Dec 3, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    BrentS

BrentS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Bainbridge WA
    Vehicle:
    Silver TRD SR5
    I am a new owner of an 06 with 148K. Did the TB/MAF clean and changed the plugs in about 3 hours thanks to the write ups here. Thank you for creating such a well written procedure.

Brent

15. Dec 10, 2011 at 12:48 AM
    dalesrn

dalesrn Tacoma TSS

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Southeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma PreRunner DC with TSS Package
    Borla exhaust system, Sirius Satellite Radio, Chrome package, Trailer Hitch, Clazzio Leather seat covers, TSS badging, Anytime on fog lights mod, Daytime driving lights mod, Dual backseat DVD players w/monitors, 3rd Brake Light "TSS" mod, Bed pocket lights mod, Seat belt chime mod, Bed storage compartment auxillary outlet mod, Shorty antenna, Armor Lid Tonneau Cover, Line of Fire tailgate light
    My 2008 has 40,000 miles on it now. Should I do this now? It seems pretty easy to do, even for someone like me that is not mechanically inclined. As for the filter oil, how much is too much? When I spray it, it is not dripping, but I do coat the entire filter with the oil.

OP, thanks for the original post.

16. Dec 10, 2011 at 7:17 AM
    genxer36

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    You only use filter oil on the K&N filter(not on a paper filter). And use the cleaning kit they make for it. Follow the instructions on the kit.

17. Dec 10, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    LifeIsGood169

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    This is a great mod. I did it the other day. I bet my truck hasn't been touched in 120k miles. The throttle body looked like the underside of a lawn mower. I always thought it was the computer and fuel injection system not letting my engine de-rev on shifts. My 5spd standard shifts like a dream now. Best part to clean in my opinion.

Car turned over for almost 30 seconds before starting after though. XD. Starts easy now & accelerates really smoothly. Wonder if there will be any MPG increases. But honestly i don't care if there are, because the driving smoothness is worth it alone.

18. Dec 10, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    RbGar

RbGar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Little Rhody RI
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    Toytec ultimate kit w/Radflo option, UCA's, OME Dakar, 4x SpiderTrax 1.25", DuraTrac's, WickedFlow
    Just did mine at 96k, it deff needed it and runs great again. Super easy, huge thanks, love TW!

19. Dec 11, 2011 at 5:57 PM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Just did mine at 87000, man it was dirty! Cleaned the MAF too, idles better, feels better, accelerates better, thanks for the great write-up!

20. Dec 13, 2011 at 3:40 PM
    TACBOY

TACBOY Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Campbell ,Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma,prerunner,sr5
    none as of yet there is not much to offer here in germany ,but when i get back to the states next year it's a different ball game
    brother now this is a keeper,had poor exceleration from the light even after a few min of driving but this was excellent,i did it this morning and man exactly what you said happened it stuttered a few rev the all of a sudden,bam my baby ran like it just came off the lot,74,000+ miles and felt like a new horse was under the hood no hesitation or bad vibes at all,jumps off the light now...great write up,keep giving it up for us all you tech support,.....cudos to ya...i'm outa here to run my baby a little more..............2007 tacoma/prerunner sr5/4.0/auto no mods except the stereo,not really an off roader,but like the style....keep truckin peace

Products Discussed in

To Top