Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

How To: Throttle body cleaning 2005+ V6

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
How To: Throttle body cleaning 2005+ V6

This weekend I cleaned my throttle body.

Items you will need: 10mm socket/wrench, rags, flat-head screwdriver,wire,wire cutters, Throttle body cleaner, MAF cleaner,tooth brush.

First step: Remove the negative on your battery. I used the 10mm on this.

Next: Remove the engine cover. There are 2 10mm nuts to remove.

Next: Disconnect both clips on the air cleaner housing.

Remove the air filter. If it is a paper one, replace if needed. If it is the K&N filter like mine. Clean it with the cleaning kit as per directions on the kit.

I use wire to pull the air cleaner housing out of the way. Wrap wire around it & connect it to the base of my antenna. (The black cylinder thing on my antenna is my XM antenna)

Next: Remove 2 bolts holding the MAF box.10mm socket

Then loosen the screw -Either 10mm socket or phillips head screwdriver. I used the socket.

Once the screw is loose, you need to wiggle the housing back & forth, pulling to the left. To remove the housing from the throttle body.

Once removed. I use wire to pull it out of the way. Wrapped around the plastic neck, not the hose.

Then I wrap it around the antenna base.

Everything is out of the way without completely removing.

Cleaning the MAF: I put a spare rag at the backend of the MAF housing.

Then I spray the MAF cleaner into the housing onto the MAF sensor. It hangs down & has a circle on the end. Follow the directions on the can.DO NOT touch the sensor with the cleaner straw! DO NOT touch the MAF sensor with anything. Just spray it with MAF cleaner & only MAF cleaner. The MAF wires are very brittle & can break if touched. If you damage the MAF, it will be several hundred for a new one.

This is the throttle body to be cleaned, inside it.

On to cleaning the throttle body: I lay a rag on the engine below the throttle body to catch any drippings.

Use a flat-head screwdriver to open the butterfly.

Generously spray throttle body cleaner inside, the top & bottom

Using a toothbrush, scrub inside the throttle body as far as you can reach. Spray & scrub. Also use a rag with your fingers or wrapped around the brush to get the gunk out.

When finished, reverse the process to put everything back together.

When you start your truck it may sputter at first, just give it some gas. It is burning off any TB cleaner that may have entered the engine.

Good luck!
Sean

If you want to remove the throtlle body to clean it. I will have pics on the next screen below.

Dexdawg
found this for cleaning the MAF on an FJ, it looks identical to the Tacoma. Good find!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiEdey2IHcc
Old 05-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
teambcw is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
teambcw's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up....... I am loving the red arrow!!!
Old 05-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job, especially the arrow. I've seen a few write-ups where a specific bolt or clip gets described and I'm looking at it wondering "Where in the hell..."
Old 05-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Nice red arrows lol. COuldn't you have just unscrewed the sensor?
Old 05-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
newtaco2008 is on a distinguished road
newtaco2008's Tacoma Gallery
nice write up... how often should we clean these two things?
Old 05-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #6
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanV13 View Post
I much prefer to leave the sensor attached... IMO, less chance to screw it up or let it whack into something else.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Removing the throttle body: Remove 4 bolts

Then you have easy access to get to the backside of the throttle body. I didn't do this the 1st time I cleaned the throttle body.

Clean all around the butterfly with the TB cleaner & tooth brush, wipe with a rag.

Also spray TB cleaner in the black piece that the TB connects too. Wipe out with a rag. Mine didn't have much gunk in it. Most of the gunk was around the throttle body itself.

According to Chris4x4 the Throttle body bolts should be torqued to 9 ft-lbs.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #8
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by teambcw View Post
Great write up....... I am loving the red arrow!!!
Box lid cut out. LOL
Old 05-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
MASTER CHIEF
STR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTR8_BEAST is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
STR8_BEAST's Tacoma Gallery
nice write up, this should be stickied!
Old 05-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanV13 View Post
I am not a fan of removing the MAF. Since it can easily get broken. Best to leave it in place & spray the cleaner on it several times. Plus having it tilted, the liquid can drip off with the dirt onto the rag on the backside.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #11
Lord of Tomfoolery

Thanks everyone. Glad to help.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #12
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up! Can we make it mandatory for all write-ups to have red arrows.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #14
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
Thanks for taking the time to do this write up...very informative!
You are welcome. It needed to be written up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakoTruck View Post
Nice write up! Can we make it mandatory for all write-ups to have red arrows.
I agree, it is always difficult for me to understand when someone does a write up without showing the exact location of something.

I suck @ photoshop, so a box lid was easier.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #16
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Gotta love how you made it Krazie proof. That is much appreciated.

Repped!
Thanks
Old 08-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #17
Bartle Do Member
MXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMXscott14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith Stone
MXscott14's Tacoma Gallery
what does this improve sorry im just wondering
Old 08-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #18
Duff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to behold
Marines: Ammunition Technician, Marine Corps Security Force Regiment
Duff Man's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Duff Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXscott14 View Post
what does this improve sorry im just wondering

probably cleans up oil from the filter that is built up on the MAF sensor and in the throttle body. I've heard oil from the filter can really mess up your MAF sensor if you don't take care of it. Idk about if it makes your engine run any better though, haven't done it myself yet.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #19
Lord of Tomfoolery

While throttle-body cleaning is good preventative maintenance, it should also help engine drivability. In fact, if you've noticed a rough idle, stumbling initial acceleration or even stalling - all when the engine is fully warmed up - a dirty throttle body could be the culprit. Once you look inside a throttle body, you will probably be surprised at the dirt, gum and varnish that have accumulated there over time.

In severe cases, the throttle plate may start to open and close with difficulty and even get stuck. The first time I cleaned mine. I noticed the throttle plate was difficult to open.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #20
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff Man View Post
probably cleans up oil from the filter that is built up on the MAF sensor and in the throttle body. I've heard oil from the filter can really mess up your MAF sensor if you don't take care of it. Idk about if it makes your engine run any better though, haven't done it myself yet.
It makes a huge difference on how your engine runs. The first time I cleaned mine @ 80,000 miles. It was like driving a new truck. Performance improved greatly. Before the truck was sluggish on take off.

Products Discussed in this Thread