Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Valve adjustment 1GR-FE

Old 05-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Terminous is on a distinguished road
Navy: Engineman 3rd Class
Terminous's Tacoma Gallery
Valve adjustment 1GR-FE

I have a valve train ticking sound. I shimmed the PWM valve with rubber washers and still have the noise. I spoke with my local Toy service manager and he told me there is no valve adjustment listing for this engine. Mmmmm..... I found the adjustment specs in my owners manual! Has anyone done a valve adj. on this engine? Specificily, does the engine use shims, or is it a straight adjustment?
Old 05-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Its a shim under bucket design. Shouldnt need adjusting for 100k miles, or longer.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
Ya, I'm at 98,420 mi. I hear the injectors can make some noise also. Do you know if they also sound like a loose valve?
Old 05-29-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
is the injector lash adjustable also? I think I need a manual.......
Old 05-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminous View Post
is the injector lash adjustable also? I think I need a manual.......
Famous last words around here. lol
Old 05-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Injector lash adjustable?

You are probably hearing the noisy emissions valve.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminous View Post
Ya, I'm at 98,420 mi. I hear the injectors can make some noise also. Do you know if they also sound like a loose valve?
The tacoma engines are noisy by nature. Not alot (if any) sound supression is built into them like most other vehicle engines. Lots of things to make noise too. Timming chains (3 total in the 1 GR-FE), injectors, valves, VSV, etc. Its an all aluminum engine, so it transmits the noise very efficiently.