1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Issues with my brand new 07 Taco

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by austin-TX-Taco, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Mar 16, 2007 at 1:31 PM
    Golf77

Golf77 Active Member

Member:
    FWIW, the newer R134a refrigerant condenses at a significantly higher pressure than the older R12. In hot weather, this can cause a significant shudder as the compressor clutch cycles on and off. Frequently, there's a "head" of high-pressure, uncondensed refrigerant on the high side of the compressor. Because of the short cycle times in hot weather, this produces a very high starting load on the compressor.

2. Mar 19, 2007 at 8:06 AM
    texastaco

texastaco Member

Member:
    My truck had only the slightest vibration when I first bought it. But after the 6" lift it was extremely noticeable. The company that put the lift on changed out the carrier bearing and the vibration decreased significantly. The vibration is not gone, but you really have to be "looking for it" to notice it. In fact, noone else has ever said anything when riding in my truck, only the slightly OCD owner.....

3. Mar 31, 2007 at 12:12 PM
    Scott_of_FtWorth

Scott_of_FtWorth Member

Member:
    I to am experiencing a vibration between 18 mph and 28 mph . I too was very excited to buy my 3rd tacoma and didnt notice it on the test drive. But going to work in traffic noticed a annoying vibration coming from the drive train that kind of felt like going over a tight rumble strip, it is most pronounced at 20MPH , all rpms . I picked up the unit with 85 miles and now have 200 on it. I dropped it off at the dealer 2 days after the date of purchase to have a hitch put on and fix the vibration. I picked it up drove around the block and dropped it back off , vibration was still there . Man I hope its just bad tires , flat spots , and not a drive train issue as described above . The sales guy said he would redeliver it to me ?? I am wondering if I should take it now ? I wish I read this thread before test driving.
    The 5 speed auto tranie feels funny also , it down shifts when decelerating and feels like if you were shifting a standard down to slow up. I can deal with that
    Man ! I did not exspect this, my first 2 tacomas , 87 & 2000, were trouble free

4. Apr 1, 2007 at 9:02 PM
    Scott_of_FtWorth

Scott_of_FtWorth Member

Member:
    Austin-TX-Taco
    What issues were fixed permanently when the driveline was replaced ?
    The shutter and shfting problems ? or did they come back ?

Thanks a fellow Texan

5. Apr 4, 2007 at 1:52 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    I've mentioned the low speed shudder a few times. For now i think mine has subsided. Either it has quit or i have just become use to it and dont notice it anymore. Either way, i can live with it for now but if it is going to become worse or cause eventual damage i need to know before my warranty is up. Does anyone know if this can damage my truck/drive train?

6. Apr 4, 2007 at 5:39 PM
    Scott_of_FtWorth

Scott_of_FtWorth Member

Member:
    Thank God ! or the importance of that customer survey every one at my dealership talked of or thier genuine sinsarity to satisfiy. They came to the plate and gave me satisfaction !!! No yelling or screaming. They looked the truck over and verified my complaint . The Sales Manager and Salesman asked what options may they put on the truck to satisfy me . I said, none , and that what I wanted was one of three thinks, 1) My Tacoma fixed , 2) Another Tacoma outfitted equally or better or 3) My money back . They agreed to Find me or order another truck without the defect .

7. Apr 9, 2007 at 8:37 PM
    Scott_of_FtWorth

Scott_of_FtWorth Member

Member:
    Well the promises of them finding me another truck fell short. The extensive search to find a Vibration free truck outfitted as the one I purchased was limited to their own inventory, a count of 3. The vibration was worse in them.
    The service center acknowledged that there was a vibration but without a service bulletin or guidance from the mother ship they were afraid to even swap tires from another vehicle . They did rotate and balance them , I think ?? It seemed as if the repair manual didn’t address it they were lost . Technician’s ??? I think not . Or their hands were tied. I’m glad I’m able to do my own maintenance , breaks , oil and such .
    I just cant imagine Toyota engineers in their proto-type measuring noise and vibrations and dismissing this one at 20 mph. It has to be a assembly problem or a part out of specification.
    The sales guy said that the receptionists Father found that if puts 3 50lb bags of sand in the bed the vibration lessons ???? I dont know what he was suggesting with that info .
    The good thing was that their loaner, 07 TRD Tacoma Double Cab was vibration free with 1700 miles on it. I fell in love. I tried to buy it but it belongs to Toyota Retails and it didn’t have enough miles to be sold yet, So they said.
    Well after 7 trips to the dealer, a count of 2 days in my possession and 10 in theirs they decided to return my trade in, a 2000 Tacoma pre-runner and my cash .
    I guess Toyota has picked up some bad habits from the American Auto Manufactures

Scott_of_FtWorth

8. Apr 14, 2007 at 7:48 PM
    evile

evile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 DoubleCab TRD OffRoad PreRunner
    Bug shield vent visors Westin Chrome bull bar K&N Airfilter Pioneer CD/MP3/Ipod/DVD head unit KC Daylighters, LED map and dome lights, secondary airfilter removed. Black tube steps, 110v outlet in cab
    from a mechanics point of view one thing to keep in mind theres lots of moving parts on these things and they will vibrate and make some noise the dealerships arnt there to redesign things just to fix the broken things. In the end they are still trucks not BMWs. any thing with moving parts is going to vibrate nothing is perfect

My truck has a few things ive noticed engine tick exhuast leak(found a TSb on it need to take it in) and some minor stuff but unless some thing serious happens im not gonna worry to much about it

9. Apr 18, 2007 at 3:43 AM
    evile

evile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2006 DoubleCab TRD OffRoad PreRunner
    Bug shield vent visors Westin Chrome bull bar K&N Airfilter Pioneer CD/MP3/Ipod/DVD head unit KC Daylighters, LED map and dome lights, secondary airfilter removed. Black tube steps, 110v outlet in cab
    little update i recently had gotten access to alldata which alows meto view TSBs on the tacoma so far nothing on the vibration every one seems to feel on decel i need to check one more thing today also hopefully ill find some thing

but it does seem many people have this concern i dont cause my rotors are warped and the whole truck shakes when i stop lol. any way this vibration may just be a normal thing the truck does but expect them to come out with a fix for it

10. Apr 30, 2007 at 8:50 AM
    Steve762us

Steve762us Well-Known Member

Member:
    Flat-spotted tires don't feel like a "vibration"...more like a "whump-whump-whump!", related directly to speed. Flat-spotting will usually go away after a few miles (IMHO), as the tires flex themselves back into round.

There ya go. Find a safe, clear area to try this. As you decel to 25 MPH, observe your tach. The needle will blip up just after the shudder...it's downshifting.

That downshifting gives a slight shudder/wiggle in my Tacoma. It's a slightly aggressive programming for downshifting, for an AT...might be part of the "i" feature, learning your braking/decel rate habits.

Whether that is the ONLY thing going on with your vehicle, I can't say from here.

I wonder if an ECU/tranny ECU reset would affect this...it could help implicate it as a programmed/learned feature, and eliminate all the other driveline conjecture.

11. May 26, 2007 at 3:18 PM
    fanofpre

fanofpre Member

Member:
    As I predicted, my arbitration with Toyota ended up w/ the arbitration team stating that my request for a buyback/refund was DENIED because "The customer failed to prove manufacturer's defect."...I guess 5 Toyota technicians plus 2 others out of Toyota were imagining the vibration.

I figured this would happen due to the fact that TOYOTA pays the arbitrator...and, if I(or other complaintants) won, they'd have a heckuva recall/TSB that would be expensive.

I suggest EVERYONE go into arbitration, so that, at least Toyota will admit there's a real problem!

I plan on taking this to the next level......Virginia Lemon Law.

12. May 27, 2007 at 10:27 AM
    Scott_of_FtWorth

Scott_of_FtWorth Member

Member:
    That Stinks!!!! Fan-O-PreRunner, Shake that tree harder dude, Lets hope something comes of this and this issue is recognized by Toyota soon. I guess I was fortunate that I got out of my deal before they had made any title changes . Man those trucks do look sweet and run well, Except for that vibration issue. I WANT ONE !!! Man this whole situation has ruined me on buying a new truck for now, I am still driving my 2000 PreRunner. But “I’ll tell you what” Their will be allot more research on my part before I do buy. And were would we be without the internet???? Thanks Tacoma World for this venue.
    I did get a survey in the mail and made my position well known. I made copies and sent them to all sales mangers and the owner of the dealership. Let’s hope it doesn’t fall on deaf ears.

13. Jul 26, 2007 at 11:28 AM
    07TRDsport

07TRDsport Carolina Alliance

Member:
    hmm.. seems like alot of the DC tacos have issues.. i dont have any with my AC... and i hope it stays that way. best of luck with the issues anyones gotten.

14. Jul 26, 2007 at 12:28 PM
    fanofpre

fanofpre Member

Member:
    Hello All..
    After "losing" the arbitration, I convinced a local NTB to switch out the B.F. Goodrich tires for Michelins(B.F. Goodrich is still owned by Michelin, but they installed the top of the line tires).......I only had to pay installation......this was the last ditch attempt at solving the vibration.......result: STILL vibrates...time to pursue Lemon Law. I'd appreciate anyone else with the problem to e--mail me either via the forum or at kelseasdaddy@comcast.net with your "story", as complete as possible, all the attempted fixes, etc. what you were told.....that I may use it in my case....We'll all benefit in the long run. Toyota has to fess up!

Take care all!

15. Jul 26, 2007 at 11:52 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    I have an access cab and the only issue I have is the ever so slight lunge when I come to a stop and the AC compressor is on. This happens approx one out of five times and often it is barely noticeable. Other times I wonder if the person behind me has nudged me.

Hey, i'll live with it though. I love my truck.

Ted

16. Aug 20, 2007 at 10:42 AM
    datovits07

datovits07 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 BLACK TRD SPORT DOUBLE CAB 4X2
    Hey does anybody know if this is normal? I bought my truck a week ago didnt notice it cuz i was excited and i just noticed clicking noises coming from the engine when i went home. Its sounds like an old typewriter clicking, standing in front of the hood it seems like the noise is coming from the right side of the engine. Can anyone tell me if you hear this on your engine too. i have an 07 taco SR5 Prerunner trd sport double cab 2wd automatic with only 700 miles. went to the dealer to ask about it and they say its normal just fuel injectors doing their jobs, but i dont know sound like valves to me. Appreciate your help! Thanks

17. Sep 17, 2007 at 9:39 PM
    Kingdesgn

Kingdesgn Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner with Custom wheels
    TheMaster-

I'm experienceing the same thing as you were. The toyota dealership nearest me had just placed in a new driveshaft. Eversince then, my truck lunges forward at complete stops whe the AC flips.

In your last post in regards of this issue, you had stated that you were going to get the propeller shaft greased/lubed to decrease the lung or thrust.

Did it work for you? Please let meknow ASAP for I am going back to the dealership tomorrow.

Thanks a lot!!

18. Sep 18, 2007 at 9:45 AM
    bostonfj60

bostonfj60 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab SR5
    Hey all,

I'm a new owner of an 07 SR5 DoubleCab, and also experience all the vibrations listed.

I have the 20mph vibration. This seems to be a shift point problem. It seems the truck "lugs" the engine a bit. I can live with that.... I've also felt the "lunge" problem, which only happens when the ac compressor kicks on...I can live with this...I even hear the tick from the engine compartment and when I hit the throttle...I can also live wit this...

However, I notice vibrations when the truck is in park, no moving. This really drives me nuts. I notice this more when it's cold, and the idle is up higher, usually between 800-1100rpm's. Anyone else notice this? It feels like the engine is running rough, and shaking the truck a bit....Even when the truck is warm, I can rev the engine in park or neutral and get a pretty noticeable vibration...

This could be me being overly sensitive as my last truck was a v8 landcruiser...but it still seems like more vibration than any new truck should have.

I've been back to Toyota already, and they have of coarse told me it's all normal! I'm at a loss here...it kinda sux, I wish I never traded my 98 Landcruiser in...

Cheers,

JR

19. Oct 24, 2007 at 2:52 PM
    khfactor

khfactor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD Sport
    Pop N Lock + Hose Clamp. DTRL, AFE drop-In Dry filter, 6-1/2" Replacement Speakers, JVC HD Radio, Sam's club variety Floor mats (cheap but effective), Chrome Exhaust tip, Bed Mat from ol' Ford Ranger. As of 3/25/2020, the Odometer just turned 70K.
    BINGO !! This is exactly the problem. I had owned 2002 FORD RANGER FX4
    model with a similar "clunking" problem, and it definitely was a slip-yoke grease dried up causing the binding. Ford even had a "Technical Service Bulltin (TSB)" on this. Well, mine was purchased used, so I had to take it to a private service shop and, sure enough, when they re-packed it with a "special" grease, the clunking went away COMPLETELY.

I would take the 07 Tacos back to the dealer and request this be looked at. 99% of time this will take care of the clunking noise...

20. Mar 9, 2008 at 9:56 AM
    jrotts

jrotts Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Double cab 4X4 TRD Off Road
    Leveling kit, bug shield, spray-in bed liner
    It has been mentioned about a dry slip yolk. Has anyone tapped it and installed a grease fitting and grease the hell out of it?

Products Discussed in

To Top