LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Mix 'high mileage Mobil 1' with regular mobil 1, both fully synthetic

Old 06-04-2010, 05:03 AM   #1
STLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura about
STLTaco09's Tacoma Gallery
Mix 'high mileage Mobil 1' with regular mobil 1, both fully synthetic

As the title says, can I mix the fully synthetic high mileage mobil 1 with the regular fully synthetic mobil 1? The Walmart by me never has the regular 5W-30 fully synthetic mobil1 5 quart jug, but they have the stuff labeled "High Mileage" fully synthetic (says for cars with high mileage). My Tacoma only has 20,000 miles on it, but I've been using synthetic since 1200 miles.

Any Pros/Cons to use the stuff labeled "high mileage" in a low mileage vehicle?
Old 06-04-2010, 05:04 AM   #2
STLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura about
This is the stuff I'm talking about in this post:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1770665
Old 06-04-2010, 05:06 AM   #3
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think it's a big deal as long as there the same weight.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:11 AM   #4
Jimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud ofJimmyjohn has much to be proud of

Name: Jim
Jimmyjohn's Tacoma Gallery
I don't believe in mixing any oil.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:19 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Get on Mobile 1's website and send them an e-mail. They are pretty quick to respond.

Ask them....

"Is the high mileage / truck & SUV oil the same as the standard oil?"

"What's the difference between Mobile 1 5W-30 and the high mileage 5W-30?

I recently e-mailed them about their gear oil. I asked them if the Mobile 1 75W-90 LS (gear oil) was the same as the 75W-90 (without the LS). And YES - it is the same oil. It's marketing....

I'm halfway tempted to bet, it's the exact same oil.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:23 AM   #6
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
It won't hurt anything to mix the oils, one can even mix synthetic with non-synthetic.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:54 AM   #7
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Get on Mobile 1's website and send them an e-mail. They are pretty quick to respond.

Ask them....

I recently e-mailed them about their gear oil. I asked them if the Mobile 1 75W-90 LS (gear oil) was the same as the 75W-90 (without the LS). And YES - it is the same oil. It's marketing....

Sorry to jack your thread OP...so would you still need additive if you use the 75-90LS gear oil? The guy told me i didnt because its already in the oil for LSD gears.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:18 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

Ask them....

Good idea, I shot them an email. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:24 AM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meteoraman2514 View Post
Sorry to jack your thread OP...so would you still need additive if you use the 75-90LS gear oil? The guy told me i didnt because its already in the oil for LSD gears.
You might want to look at this thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-lsd-lube.html

The LSD's in these trucks tends to be 'picky' and there are lots of conflicting information of what works & what doesn't work in terms of oils/additives.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
So I got an email response asking to call their 1800 number. I called, they told me the high mileage stuff have extra additives to help cleaning the engine, and it is on the thicker side of the viscosity curve to help prevent burning extra oil. I asked if I could use it in a low mileage vehicle, he said as long as I am not under warranty, I could use it. I asked why that had any impact, he said that vehicles require a high efficient (I think thats what he said?) oil, and this oil did not meet those standards. So since I'm under warranty still, he said I should not use it.

Interesting...

They did say it could be mixed though with the regular 5w-30 stuff.