1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sinking box on my 05??

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Bryden05, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Jun 8, 2010 at 11:00 PM
    Bryden05

Bryden05 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Lethbridge, AB
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Access Cab
    Hey folks, Just bought my truck used a few months ago with around 100,000 on it. It is a 2005 access cab. When i bought it, it had a load of snow/ice in the box so i didnt notice it was loose until it melted. The bolts that are in the front corners of the box are as tight as they can go against the bushings underneath them, but the box is about 1/8th inch below the bolt head/washer(this is where the box shakes when driving) The only thing i can figure what is happening is that the bottom of the box is wearing against the metal mounts on the frame, causein it to sink. since the box is made of composite material, it would deteriorate before the metal. To "solve" this i just removed the bushings and replaced the bolts without them, however i assume they are there for some reason? Has anyone ever heard of a simliar problem on a 05 or newer? Sorry for the bad description, i will try to get some pics up to get a better understanding of what i am talking about.

2. Jun 8, 2010 at 11:03 PM
    McJosh

McJosh avidoffroad.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    2005 Reg. Cab 5 lug Tacoma
    Pioneer AVH-p2300DVD, 12" Memphis sub and Alpine MRP-M650 amp, 32" BFG AT tires and KMC wheels, tinted windows, satoshi grille w/ stainless steel mesh, Avid front & rear tube bumpers, Cobra wx75 CB with 3' firestik, GaragePro bucket seats, FlowMaster 40 series, aFe CAI, Black head lights, LoJack and Autopage alarm installed, Avid sliders.
    Welcome from AZ. Sorry to hear. :( maybe pics would help.

3. Jan 8, 2014 at 6:56 PM
    big j

big j Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Central WI
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco,TRD OFF ROAD 4x4, d-cab
    Ranch Hand Brush gaurd, Marathon sportsman seat covers, Toyota skid plate, 3"coilovers front , tsb W/aal back
    Find anything out on your sinking box? I have the same problem. Looks to me that the bushing is not supposed to be free but part of the box. What did u do to fix?

4. Jan 8, 2014 at 6:58 PM
    Evenflow

Evenflow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    Companies like energy suspension make aftermarket OE size urethane body mounts to cover this. The OE rubber bushings can wear out and crush over time. Was actually just looking at buying those myself.

Products Discussed in

To Top