Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Calibrating your speed.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
sormi is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Radio Repair
sormi's Tacoma Gallery
Calibrating your speed.

Is there any way to calibrate your speedometer? My new Taco is about 3mph slower on my speedometer. I've check it aginst my scan gauge and GPS.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed the same thing on a trip I took this weekend. Mine was probable closer to being 4mph off. I was going to see if others have had the same problem or should I just take it in to the dealer.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
Seems to be a 'normal' problem on the Tacos. Other than changing speedometer gears, I don't think there is a fix.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
BLG077 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ben
BLG077's Tacoma Gallery
Mine too, about 4 mph off. Can a dealer fix the issue?
Old 06-03-2008, 04:02 AM   #5
Zebra is on a distinguished road

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
maybe i'm just over-simplifying the issue or maybe i just have no idea what i'm talking about:

couldn't just reposition the needle on the speedometer to match the scangauge?

i know on chevy silverados if you changed out the dash gauge cluster that you'd have to mark where the needles were to obtain correct readings on the new gauges when you reinstalled them.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #6
Western Alliance-NorCal
victorye3 is on a distinguished road

victorye3's Tacoma Gallery
Found this for you it claims to recalibrate your speedometer:http://www.hypertech.com/
Old 06-03-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
There are places (usually ones who work on speedometers and auto-electrical) that can install an adapter on your speedo cable. IMO Toyota should pay for that install because 3MPH can get you a ticket, and your truck is brand new which is the time to bring up issues like this
Old 06-04-2008, 10:02 AM   #8
Johnpa is on a distinguished road
Johnpa's Tacoma Gallery
I see the same problem with my 07 Tacoma. The speedo reads approx. 3-4 mph faster than the actual speed shown on my GPS.

I noticed the same results on a Toyoyta Prius that I rented?

I took my truck in to the Dealer and they checked the speedo and told me it was reading accurately.

I also have used my GPS in a Nissan Pathfinder and a Infinity I30. The speedo and the GPS matched up perfectly.

I am not sure why this happens - but it might be a Toyota thing.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #9
Understand the Voice Within
91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold91r100gs is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
91r100gs's Tacoma Gallery
Same here, when I go 70 MPH people blow by me. Usually they just go by slowly.

On a recent long trip the odometer registered too many miles, according to the mile markers. It was like 2.5% too many miles. Sucks. Honda recently added warranty to many models due to a class action lawsuit over the same issue, and had to add mileage to leases.