1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cig lighter selectable (always on, only on with key)

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by cvillechopper, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Jun 5, 2008 at 8:13 AM
    cvillechopper

cvillechopper [OP] Jackass to the masses

Member:
    Charlottesville, VA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCSB TRD Off-Rd 4x4, Roof Rack, Tube Steps
    K&N drop-in air-filter, extra D-rings, Custom Console lock-box, Leather heated seats, Studly Driver
    So I've just finally read the "remove relay, jump terminal" solution to the cig lighter and think I have a way to keep the relay and provide the ability to have the lighter on or off with the ignition off. Anyone want to add some feedback?

Here's the basic idea.
    Hook wires to the switched terminal on the factory relay. You could just put a switch on these and flip it to on (connected) but you wouldn't want to have the power going through the relay and the jumper wire set at the same time so use another relay. Hook it up so when the ignition is on, the jumper wires are an open circuit no matter the position of the switch on the jumper wires. When the ignition is off, the jumper wires are a closed circuit through the second relay and the switch controls the circuit.

I'm thinking of going to pick up a relay this weekend and trying it out unless someone knows of some weird potential to blow the truck up with this.

Make sense?

James

2. Jun 5, 2008 at 8:18 AM
    BLOCKADE

BLOCKADE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Front Bed D-Rings...
    I like where you're going with this. I'll have to give this some thought and see if I can be any help to you. I have no idea what the potential is, but there are guys here that will be able to give you some direction on electrical wiring.

3. Jun 5, 2008 at 5:25 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Sounds like a good plan. I'd like the outlet on sometimes with the key off, but not all the time incase I forget something and don't drive all weekend. Already killed the battery twice tweaking the pin switch on my engine bay light. Looking forward to someone figuring it out. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top