Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Cig lighter selectable (always on, only on with key)

Old 06-05-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cvillechopper's Tacoma Gallery
Cig lighter selectable (always on, only on with key)

So I've just finally read the "remove relay, jump terminal" solution to the cig lighter and think I have a way to keep the relay and provide the ability to have the lighter on or off with the ignition off. Anyone want to add some feedback?

Here's the basic idea.
Hook wires to the switched terminal on the factory relay. You could just put a switch on these and flip it to on (connected) but you wouldn't want to have the power going through the relay and the jumper wire set at the same time so use another relay. Hook it up so when the ignition is on, the jumper wires are an open circuit no matter the position of the switch on the jumper wires. When the ignition is off, the jumper wires are a closed circuit through the second relay and the switch controls the circuit.

I'm thinking of going to pick up a relay this weekend and trying it out unless someone knows of some weird potential to blow the truck up with this.

Make sense?

James
Old 06-05-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
BLOCKADE will become famous soon enoughBLOCKADE will become famous soon enough
BLOCKADE's Tacoma Gallery
I like where you're going with this. I'll have to give this some thought and see if I can be any help to you. I have no idea what the potential is, but there are guys here that will be able to give you some direction on electrical wiring.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:25 PM   #3
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Sounds like a good plan. I'd like the outlet on sometimes with the key off, but not all the time incase I forget something and don't drive all weekend. Already killed the battery twice tweaking the pin switch on my engine bay light. Looking forward to someone figuring it out.