Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Re-Gearing questions involving front end

Old 06-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
PWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Prescott
PWhite13's Tacoma Gallery
Re-Gearing questions involving front end

In a 4x4 truck,say someone wanted to re-gear it, such as putting in 4.10 gears in the rear, wouldn't that mean that the front wheels are spinning at a faster rate than the rear wheels?(in 4x4)

This thought just popped into my head, and I don't know too much about the subject, so there is probably something I'm missing.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
you have to regear the front and rear diffs to the same ratio or else you're going to cause a lot of damage
Old 06-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
PWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Oh I see. I didn't realize people were re-gearing the front, along with the rear. It makes much more sense now. Thanks for the answers, btw.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Well....

You CAN NOT run with two different sets of gears in the front & rear. The gears need to be the same, or you're most likely going to destroy something (tcase).

**some people might say you can run different gears as long as they are close in ratio. But - for the sake of learning and doing it right - you should always run the exact gears front & rear.

That number is the amount of revolutions the driveshaft turns (pinion gear) to every one revolution of the wheels (ring gear). So...if the rear wheels are 4.10 ratio and the front is only 3.73 - then yes....the rear will spin faster than the front. However - if the rear is 4.10 and the front is 4.56 - then the front will spin slower than the rear.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
As everyone has said - equal ratios.

Some people will tell you you can get away with close ratios (i.e. 4.10 at one end and 4.11 at the other). I would invite them to do whatever they like with their trucks, mine is going to be geared the same front and rear.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #7

Yeah I mean I'm not currently in the process of re-gearing, but maybe in the future and I think I would definitely do equal ratios. Doesn't seem to be a reason not to. With 33"s, would a re-gear even be needed for moderate off-roading?(I.E. no serious rock crawling, just trails and climbs and desert kinda stuff)
Old 06-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Most people seem to agree 33s cause minimal power loss for a 2nd gen V6 so regearing isn't "necessary" unless you want that power back.

The Taco's gear range is plenty capable of any offroading you'd want to do without significantly (SAS, etc.) modifying it. If you're wheeling so hard you need, as in must have no matter what, new gears, you may as well go head and get new axles, cage the thing, etc.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #9

Yeah, probably nothing too crazy. Just trails around the Southern California area. Thanks for your help, jandrews and Janster.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, the 2nd gen v6's push 33's no problem. I'm running 35's on stock gears at the moment, and though there is power loss, even with that large of a tire the truck still drives fine. A regear will still be in my trucks future though.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #11
Jraugust will become famous soon enough
Name: Jeremie
Jraugust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
Yeah, the 2nd gen v6's push 33's no problem. I'm running 35's on stock gears at the moment, and though there is power loss, even with that large of a tire the truck still drives fine. A regear will still be in my trucks future though.
Im glad that someone seems to see my point... Ive got a 2004 tacoma with 35's, but its got a 4 cylinder in it with the stock gears. Although there is powerloss the only time i can tell its affected is the freeway at 75 and if im in real thick mud. I plan to regear but the truck does fine, and looks good on top of it
Old 01-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #12
Hacksaw engineer
Trapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud ofTrapper6speed has much to be proud of

Trapper6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Also 4.10 are stupid expencive, Lift get 35s then gear to 4.56s.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:08 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper6speed View Post
Also 4.10 are stupid expencive, Lift get 35s then gear to 4.56s.

Dont 4.10's come stock in some tacomas?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #15
Weird, my truck came with 4.10's stock but its a 2.7L