Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Truck Died On Freeway

Old 06-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
dmigod is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
dmigod's Tacoma Gallery
Truck Died On Freeway

My 2007 Tacoma 4X4 died this morning while driving 70 MPH in the fast lane on my way to work. All lights came on the dash and the engine just died. Coasted to the side with the truck still in D. Checked under the hood, battery cables etc looked in place. Tried to start truck and it turned the engine over but would not catch. Towed it to my Mechanic. Anyone else had this issue? I searched first but could not find an answer. Thanks in advance. I have loved my truck until today. 41K miles. Alll service up to date. Last 40K service done by Lodi Toyota in CA.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
shitty keep us updated.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
You're my boy blue
Blue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Dylan
Blue's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
dam, that sucks, do you know anyone with a scangauge? check all the fuses too, and make sure your ECU is intact with no wires hanging off
Old 06-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
OCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Damn. 1st welcome to tw. Second, did you hear any noises or see any smoke? If all lights came on and truck turned but still didn't catch its probably your fuel pump. There are three components to ignition air, fuel, and a spark. Sound like you have air and spark but no fuel.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
EEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Stefan
EEtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Since it just died when you were on the road I'd look at the fuel system. Something may have made its way in there and clogged the lines or filter. Did the truck throw any codes when you tried to start it?
Old 06-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
dmigod's Tacoma Gallery
The truck showed nothing when I tried to restart except for the red battery light stayed lit. I had it towed to my frieds shop and I will post up what he says this afternoon. Thanks for the welcome and for the assistance.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
OCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedOCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
OCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmigod View Post
The truck showed nothing when I tried to restart except for the red battery light stayed lit. I had it towed to my frieds shop and I will post up what he says this afternoon. Thanks for the welcome and for the assistance.
Im thinking it's your battery then.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #9
just_hurri is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
just_hurri's Tacoma Gallery
I had similar case when timing belt tensioner bearing let go.. I had over 100k on her though. Hopefully your problem is not so drastic as mine was.

Post up when you find out!
Old 06-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #10
There go my nipples again!
Dilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shawn
Dilsky's Tacoma Gallery
If it turns over, the battery is still good.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
EEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really niceEEtaco is just really nice

Firefighter:
Name: Stefan
EEtaco's Tacoma Gallery
A bad battery wouldn't cause the truck to fail going down the road would it?
Old 06-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #13
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds very much like a bad alternator to me. Technically, your battery isn't really in use when the car is running, your alternator is. It turns over because you have battery power. Just my guess.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #14
Rand Paul 2016
Chad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Chad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
maybe a bad alternator
x2. My father had to have his alternator and radiator changed on his 00. Truck would turn over but would not fully start.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #15
dogbite is a jewel in the roughdogbite is a jewel in the roughdogbite is a jewel in the rough
dogbite's Tacoma Gallery
It'll run on the just battery with a blown alternator, at least for a little while 'til you drain the battery.

With the modern computers though an aging dying battery can strand you like that. It's still got power, but the voltage isn't enough to run the computer so it never starts. At least I've seen that in some other vehicles, mostly Dodge minivans.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #16
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, this sounds really weird. Subbed to hear what it turns out to be.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #18
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
If the engine slowly sputtered and then died, it is probably fuel related.
If it quit instantly, it is most likely something in the electrical system.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #19
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroCooper View Post
If the engine slowly sputtered and then died, it is probably fuel related.
If it quit instantly, it is most likely something in the electrical system.
Yup. Which is precisely why I think it's an alternator.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #20
dmigod's Tacoma Gallery
My guy is too busy today. Hopefully he can look at it tomorrow morning