Notices

Clutch or Transmission Problem???

Old 06-23-2010, 12:17 AM   #1
Elderly Gentleman - Junior Member
S-Runner '01 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jerry
S-Runner '01's Tacoma Gallery
Clutch or Transmission Problem???

I'm having an intermittent problem shifting my '01 S-Runner 5spd manual. Sometimes it feels like I don't have any clutch. About 1 in every 7/8 times I try to shift into 1st gear, I have to shut the engine off to put it into gear. When that happens I also can't put it into reverse or any other gear either.
After I stop, shut off the engine, put it into 1st gear and restart the engine it usually works perfectly for 2 or 3 shifts and then it starts going bad again.
Sometimes it is real hard to pull it out of 1st and equally hard to put it into 2nd. I usually don't have much trouble with 3rd, 4th or 5th.
An advisor told me that the problem was with my clutch master/slave system so I replaced both, bled the system and it worked perfectly for about two days and then started to screw up again.
The clutch doesn't slip or grab; although it does seem to have a rumble feel from about 25 to 29 MPH.
Another advisor said that the problem could be with the tranny being low on gear oil or that the gear oil was needing replacement so I completely drained and refilled the tranny with 75/90wt gear oil. This didn't do anything to help the problem either.
And yet another advisor says that the problem could be with the syncros in my transmission. I'm just about to the point of replacing my flywheel, clutch and transmission but I hate to spend all that money so I'm looking for advice. (Free Advice)
jj
Old 06-23-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
Blowin by em sideways
xroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ramon
xroller's Tacoma Gallery
CLUTCH! I want pics of my little brother! (s-runner)
Old 06-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
Not Dead But Definitely Dying
FreeHeel is on a distinguished road
FreeHeel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sometimes it is real hard to pull it out of 1st and equally hard to put it into 2nd.
Sounds like the syncros to me.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
Blowin by em sideways
xroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shedxroller is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xroller's Tacoma Gallery
nah. it's a clutch. a clutches main thing is engange and disengage a transmission. If it was just in one gear it's more than likely a syncro. All gears it's a clutch.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Not Dead But Definitely Dying
FreeHeel is on a distinguished road
FreeHeel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If it was just in one gear it's more than likely a syncro. All gears it's a clutch.
Agreed. Generally the syncros go out in gears you downshift into the most.

Quote:
Sometimes it is real hard to pull it out of 1st and equally hard to put it into 2nd. I usually don't have much trouble with 3rd, 4th or 5th.
^^^To me, this sounds like syncros

Quote:
About 1 in every 7/8 times I try to shift into 1st gear, I have to shut the engine off to put it into gear. When that happens I also can't put it into reverse or any other gear either.
^^^And this sounds more like a bad clutch. Maybe he's got issues with both...
Old 06-24-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
Blowin by em sideways

xroller's Tacoma Gallery
Good eye bro. I must have skipped over that 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear thing.