Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

PL5300 Review

Old 06-25-2010, 07:25 AM   #1
Local Man
bigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bigburrito's Tacoma Gallery
Angry PL5300 Review

This is for 09 w/ backup camera. I installed it last night, super easy. Everything came apart easy enough, all the holes/screws lined up fine. then I tested the handle and lock mechanism before I screwed the tailgate cover back on. it worked fine, ok.

Then I tested it with everything cleaned up and put back together. Worked fine, ok.

Go to pick up my gf at the airport. Gate opens, throw her stuff in the back. Get home 30 mins later the "Pop n Lock" has changed its mind. Now it is just "Lock". Thankfully I was able to jimmy my tonno cover off to get her clothes and laptop out.

Ease of install- 10
Directions- 9
Durability-3
Value- 0, so far

I give durability 3, because the handle worked thrice before it broke. The tailgate is now permanently locked shut. Ive already attempted locking/unlocking/shimmy/shake/yelling with no results. Tonight I will jackhammer the pos off and see what the problem is. Hopefully it is an easy fix.

I will report back on my findings and update this post.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah there have been several threads in the last 2 months or so complaining about the PL 5300. Sorry you didn't see those before you bought it.

I have a Dynolock powered tailgate lock. Very happy with it. Opens and locks with the key fob.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
Local Man
bigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yeah, i seen some of the bad reviews, but also seen some good ones. was hoping for the best.

it sounds like there was some kind of weak spring issue which had been fixed. perhaps i got one of the pre-fix models.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has issues with the lock cylinder....
Old 06-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
Local Man

The culprit turned out to be the little plastic connectors that attach the actuator rods to the handle mechanism. one of them was slightly deformed (probably from when it was removed from original handle) and had slipped out of its hole. a few zip ties later and we are back in business. if i get super ambitious i might order some new clips, but it works for now. plastic clips suck.

also of note- the screws that hold the plastic tailgate peices together- are screwed into plastic(not metal nuts). each time you take apart and put back together the tailgate, it gets weaker. the peices will never fit as securely as new once they are taken apart. another thumbs down for the tailgate design. did i mention plastic clips suck?

finally to conclude with a general rant, thing like this should be standard from the factory on a 30k dollar truck, or an option at the bare minimum. right now there are 3 different extra keys i have to carry around- gas cap key, tailgate key, spare tire key. why these do not lock or have the option to lock is beyond me. its a general pain in the rectum with all the extra keys. it should be 1 truck, 1 key, 0 worries.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
texaspatriot is on a distinguished road
texaspatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy My own PL5300 Issues

I noticed that after a few days of use, the handle progressively got harder to use. Then finally it stopped unlatching the left side.

No lock issues here. It always locked and unlocked. Subsequent disassembly of the tailgate cover confirms. No issues with the rods slipping as also mentioned. They are snug in the holes. I am able to engage the left latch by pulling the rod toward the center, it only needs a little bit more pull.

What I notice is there's a lot of play in the paddle which extends into PL5300, which is molded with the lift handle. This paddle pivots downward as the handle is raised, and presses down a rotating piece of metal which the rods are attached to (the rods go inward to unlatch the gate).

This paddle does not push down far enough, it's as if the rotating piece of metal has slipped, I see about 1/2" of free space, and that accounts for the handles sudden freeplay which did not exist before.

Bad design? Probably.

We called PopNLock today and were told it would be a few weeks and replacements parts would be made available, not sure if it's a part to repair it, or a completely new PL5300. Their person's explanation was that it's been a major issue and that parts were being retooled.

I would avoid the PL5300 until this problem has been resolved.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
eguiney is on a distinguished road
eguiney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspatriot View Post
I noticed that after a few days of use, the handle progressively got harder to use. Then finally it stopped unlatching the left side.

No lock issues here. It always locked and unlocked. Subsequent disassembly of the tailgate cover confirms. No issues with the rods slipping as also mentioned. They are snug in the holes. I am able to engage the left latch by pulling the rod toward the center, it only needs a little bit more pull.

What I notice is there's a lot of play in the paddle which extends into PL5300, which is molded with the lift handle. This paddle pivots downward as the handle is raised, and presses down a rotating piece of metal which the rods are attached to (the rods go inward to unlatch the gate).

This paddle does not push down far enough, it's as if the rotating piece of metal has slipped, I see about 1/2" of free space, and that accounts for the handles sudden freeplay which did not exist before.

Bad design? Probably.

We called PopNLock today and were told it would be a few weeks and replacements parts would be made available, not sure if it's a part to repair it, or a completely new PL5300. Their person's explanation was that it's been a major issue and that parts were being retooled.

I would avoid the PL5300 until this problem has been resolved.
I experienced exactly the same problem and discovered the same issue as you. My offer was for a replacement. I declined as I saw no need to replace a piece of crap with another piece of crap.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
Ancient or so i'm told
64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed64Wildcat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denis
64Wildcat's Tacoma Gallery
Don't waste your time with the replacement springs,i put it in and the lock worked for a week then shi!t the bed again!
I'm going to be getting a Dynolock soon!

Denis
Old 07-08-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
eguiney is on a distinguished road
eguiney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64Wildcat View Post
Don't waste your time with the replacement springs,i put it in and the lock worked for a week then shi!t the bed again!
I'm going to be getting a Dynolock soon!

Denis
My thoughts also