Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

0W-20 in a 1GR-FE?

Old 06-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
0W-20 in a 1GR-FE?

I was flipping through my owners manual this morning and noticed that it calls for 0W-20 engine oil?

I thought our engines were supposed to be using 5w-30?
Old 06-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
For the FJ, they specify that grade to get the mpg rating it has.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
. If its not too much trouble, how does oil vicosity affect mpgs? Im assuming the more viscous it is, the more energy is consumed in moving the pistons which means a loss of MPGs? So less viscous translates into more mpgs?
Old 06-28-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The crank creats the most drag in the oil. IIRC, the thinner the oil, the easier it is for the engine internals to spin, thus giving better economy.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Hi
Makes sense but arent I sacrificing protection at that point? I just think its weird that they would prescribe 2 different oil weights to the same engine. I mean if 0-20 is sufficient why not market the Tacoma with higher MPGs by prescribing it 0-20 oil. I know Tacomas tow but FJ towing capacities are over 5klbs too, not a huge difference.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
Makes sense but arent I sacrificing protection at that point? I just think its weird that they would prescribe 2 different oil weights to the same engine. I mean if 0-20 is sufficient why not market the Tacoma with higher MPGs by prescribing it 0-20 oil. I know Tacomas tow but FJ towing capacities are over 5klbs too, not a huge difference.
In my opinion, I belive you are sacrificing protection. I have no proof of this though.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, why risk it?
5w-30 in and watch how you use the throttle.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
Hi
Damn. This is stresssing me out... Should I go with common sense or what the automakers tell me? LOL
Old 06-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
Both tow, but Tacos haul, which is where the real stress is. Think about carrying 80lbs on your back or in your arms vs. pulling it on a handtruck. That extra stress is probably why Toyota recommends a slightly heavier weight for the Taco.

Honestly, I think you'd be hard pressed to kill either vehicle using either weight.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Both tow, but Tacos haul, which is where the real stress is. Think about carrying 80lbs on your back or in your arms vs. pulling it on a handtruck. That extra stress is probably why Toyota recommends a slightly heavier weight for the Taco.

Honestly, I think you'd be hard pressed to kill either vehicle using either weight.
I agree. At operating temp there isn't much difference between the two. I would run whatever Toyota wants me to.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #11
anamouse is on a distinguished road
anamouse's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota recommends 0 wt 20 oil or 5 wt 20 oil in my 2009 4 cyl tacoma and that has me worried.

I live in a hot climate and asked the dealer if I could move up to 5 wt 30 oil, and told them I wouldn't mind loosing a little mileage to get a little better protection and perhaps a little longer engine life.

They told me I could not put 5 wt 30 oil in my engine because the oil in the 09 engine does more than just lubricate the engine, it also moves actuators, and if it was a heavier weight oil it will not let the engine operate properly.

Bottom line, I'm stuck with 5 wt 20 and can't do anything more to protect the engine more. I sure hope it doesn't result in a short engine life.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
BuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckNakedBooda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BuckNakedBooda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamouse View Post
Bottom line, I'm stuck with 5 wt 20 and can't do anything more to protect the engine more. I sure hope it doesn't result in a short engine life.
Throwning in some zMax can help you out. I have used it in all of my vehicles for the last 20+ years...

I purchase the 32 OZ bottles of zMax. They can be used in your oil, gas and transmission.

I don't buy the kits that you see in stores such as Auto Zone and Pep Boys with the different colors of zMax.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #13
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamouse View Post
Toyota recommends 0 wt 20 oil or 5 wt 20 oil in my 2009 4 cyl tacoma and that has me worried.

I live in a hot climate and asked the dealer if I could move up to 5 wt 30 oil, and told them I wouldn't mind loosing a little mileage to get a little better protection and perhaps a little longer engine life.

They told me I could not put 5 wt 30 oil in my engine because the oil in the 09 engine does more than just lubricate the engine, it also moves actuators, and if it was a heavier weight oil it will not let the engine operate properly.

Oil flow is just as important as oil viscosity when it comes to protecting your engine. If your oil is too thick, it won't flow properly through the engine. Having said that, the earlier 2.7s used 5w30, so I doubt running it in the new 2.7 would be a problem, but why risk it. 5w20 will protect your engine fine.

Here's some great research on oil that has been posted many times on TW. It's a long read, but full of info.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php...tor_oil_basics
Old 07-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #14
Cranky Old Bastard
Dudley is on a distinguished road

Name: David
Dudley's Tacoma Gallery
You may want to go here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/ and read the oil course. It may lower your stress factor. I used to be a subscriber of the thicker is better school of oil selection. Maybe not so much now. Apparently oil viscosity numbers become closer the higher the oil temperature. The trick is to get it to flow at cold temps.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:57 AM   #15
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
I used it in my 09 Mobil one 0-20 full syn.
My 2010 still has Factory oil in it and I have the free change deal so I am not sure when I will be switching on the new one.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #16
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
I am running 0-30 amsoil sig series with a mann filter.......oil gets changed every year or 35,000 miles......filter every six months
Old 07-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #17
Peru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud of

Peru's Tacoma Gallery
GM has many years of data to prove that the 5w20 and 0w20 are providing adequate protection. All the other manufacturers are warming up to the idea as can be seen in the recommendations from several high quality manufacturers (Honda, Toyota, et al)

As was posted before oil flow rates are playing a role

All in all for heavy duty applications in hot environments or lots of idleling will stress the oil more but those conditions were also included in the data GM has developed so it is fine -- I guess...
Old 11-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #18
Balien is on a distinguished road

Balien's Tacoma Gallery
I found this chart that allowed 0w20 sythetic in the 1gr-fe v6 engine and goes exclusivly to it in 2011, 2012. It supposedly came from toyota canada but I can't find it on their web site directly. I think thats how they managed to change the fuel economy slightly. This is confusing as it is directly wrong to the other chart that doesn't allow it in the V6 engine. Perhaps it's the cold weather up here in Canada. not sure. Anyone got this oil put in at the dealership?

http://pdfcast.org/pdf/toyota-oil-recommendation

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...BBaaF-5hL_7qSQ
Old 11-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #19
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricky
Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf69 View Post
I am running 0-30 amsoil sig series with a mann filter.......oil gets changed every year or 35,000 miles......filter every six months
It would scare me to run oil that long lol, even if that's what the manufacturer says is okay
Old 11-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #20
Cranky Old Bastard
Dudley is on a distinguished road

Name: David
Dudley's Tacoma Gallery
VVTI

I believe that Toyota recommends the lighter stuff as opposed to the 30wt because of the VVTI technology. Oil weight apparently can affect cam timing responsiveness. The oil pressure driven servos that control cam timing are oil weight sensitive.