1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gulping noise at start-up?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Dudley, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Jul 22, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    Dudley

Dudley [OP] Cranky Old Bastard

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 Access Cab
    I have a 2010 2.7L Access. In the mornings when it is a little cool out I crank the engine and it goes into fast idle. After a few seconds I hear this weird gulping noise (kinda like a big shutter closing) and the engine idles down some. What the heck is that?:goingcrazy: This is the first vehicle that I have ever owned that made that noise.

2. Jul 22, 2010 at 11:20 AM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    Mine does it too and it seems to be something with emissions. Most responses to this are in the form of(another vehicle forum):

"Yes, part of the noise is the air pump (which replaced the pre-cat in the uppipe in MY06 and up), and also the ECU is programmed to run the engine extra hot at start-up to minimize the time it takes to reach operating temps in cats, thereby reducing emissions."

As always if concerned go to the dealer! I say save your time and just ignore it. Welcome to the world of "everything on my car is electronic."

3. Jul 23, 2010 at 4:53 AM
    Dudley

Dudley [OP] Cranky Old Bastard

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 Access Cab
    Thanks. Guess the days of tinkering with these things is completely over. You have a problem, call a computer programmer. Figures it has something to do with emissions. Can't wait for the new E15 gasoline they are trying to cram down our throats. I understand that could cause serious problems. :mad:

Products Discussed in

To Top