1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY: Gen 2 Carbon Cabin Air Filter

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by trd09, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Jan 28, 2011 at 1:51 PM
    trd09

trd09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    NW Ark
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Pro 6AT
    First DIY writeup.

My 09 has 30k on its original cabin air filter. I took it out and it looked nasty. Pine needles fell out, etc. See the pic...

So I went to Autozone to buy a replacement and hoped I could get something carbon or charcoal to help take care of odors. They only had a replacement STP filter for $13.

I went to Home Depot and purchased the home filter that's adjustable for $10. It will be able to make many more filters in the future.

After installation, the flow may be decreased a bit, but I don't have the climate control on "high" that often. But the air smells great!

Total tools needed: scissors
    Total cost: $10

First step is removing old filter. Remove glovebox by opening it, removing the black "shock" on the right from the bottom tab, then lowering and pulling out.

You will see two tabs holding the door to the filter. Press down on each of the tabs and the door will swing open. Filter slides out. (You can see this in the last pic).

As far as creating the replacement filter, the pics should suffice...

DSC_0142.jpg
    DSC_0143.jpg
    DSC_0144.jpg
    DSC_0145.jpg
    DSC_0146.jpg
    DSC_0147.jpg
    DSC_0149.jpg
    DSC_0150.jpg
    DSC_0151.jpg
    DSC_0152.jpg
    DSC_0153.jpg
    DSC_0154.jpg
    DSC_0155.jpg
    DSC_0156.jpg
    DSC_0157.jpg
    DSC_0158.jpg
    DSC_0159.jpg
    DSC_0162.jpg

2. Feb 19, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    7A7ER

7A7ER FLYNN LIVES!

Member:
    AL
    Vehicle:
    '05 Radiant Red Tacoma XCab PreRunner TRD
    Removed Step Bars, Hood Visor, OEM Bed Mat, Window Tint, Fog Lights Anytime, BFG All-Terrain KO2s, Removed Mud Flaps, Add A Leaf Recall, Color-Matched Grill and Bumper& Plasti-Dipped Badges!
    Totally Easy and Just like you prescribed! Found the exact filter set at Lowes for 10 bucks and just followed your picture guide. Very Cool, good pictures man, thanks for the write up!

Still have the squeak in my fan motor, so before I button it all back up, I'm gonna take the fan motor apart, again, and pry the fan wheel off like they said in another thread and get some bearing grease under there.

Ahhhh...I love it when a project comes together!
    :cool:

3. Mar 19, 2011 at 11:36 AM
    PPower05

PPower05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Perry
    Ranson, WV
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5
    Saw your thread a couple weeks ago... My truck has 20000 on it now, and purchased the same filter! Thanks for the idea, doing it this afternoon! Great idea!

4. Jun 27, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    nut

nut she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |
    Doing this today!

5. Jun 27, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    nut

nut she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |
    Works great. Made a :sandwich: with two pieces of the plastic though. I dont notice any real difference in flow rate. Seems quieter? Im happy with it, plus I have enough filter to make at least 6 more!

Edit: you can smell the difference! Smells a lot cleaner in the cab!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  6. Jun 27, 2013 at 12:28 PM
    mattgecko

mattgecko The LED Lighting Guy. MattGeckoLEDs.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB O.R. 4wd TRD Super Charged
    Thanks for the write up OP. Headed to Lowes..

Products Discussed in

To Top