1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ignition Issue.. upon shutting down Truck

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by KOMA, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Mar 28, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    KOMA

KOMA [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Cambridge, On
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD
    Got an 06' Tacoma, V6, 4 door.... First time Tacoma Owner, first time ever joining a form... lots of great info... I love this site :)... OK, Both the fog lamps and the trailer harness are after market. At this moment the fog lamps seem to be the real issue with the ignition. Upon shutting down (key back and out), the truck still runs for a little bit longer (10sec - 1min) and then finally shuts down (by the way, this issue has always been intermittent). When it shuts down this way mind you... the dash lights remain "on" as if the key is in the "on" position (but not started). I unplugged both the fog lamps and the trailer harness.... the problem went away. I then decided to plug in one thing at a time to diagnose... and 2 days after my fog lamp fuses and relay were put back in, the problem came back.... It happened 4 times that week. I unplugged the fog lamps and tried the trailer harness by it self and exactly one after (and so far has only happened once) that same ignition issue came back. Now I'm back to both unplugged and am going to drive for another 2 weeks to see what happens. but so far this never happens with both unplugged (fingers crossed).

Both items were installed by previous owner.....

Anyone with the same problem? any Ideas?

2. Mar 31, 2011 at 1:08 PM
    KOMA

KOMA [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Cambridge, On
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD
    Well 2 days ago I actually pulled the bulbs out to see what the previous owner installed. Something I never thought to do. Turns out he had installed '9005' bulbs (high beams type lights on some vehicles) drawing 1.4amps more per bulb then the OEM 9145 or H10's. I bought the 9145s and installed them and put my fuse and relay back in. 2 days so far, no issues .. fingers crossed.

3. Apr 4, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    jackwithcorona

jackwithcorona Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Eastern Mass
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB SR5 4x4
    bestop supertop, rubber bed mat, weathertech floor mats
    any update on this? you got me curious

4. Apr 4, 2011 at 1:51 PM
    teamfast

teamfast Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    BFG AT TKO2s 34 x 10.5 x17, Leer 550 Tonneau cover, weather tech digi fit liners, Viper 5901 remote start/security, 2" fr spacer, 3" TC AAL, All Pro IFS skid plate, Trans skid plate & Transfer Case skid plate, 12" roof mounted flip down dvd player, In channel vent visors.
    yes that is a strange issue I hope it is fixed, that has to be annoying.

5. Apr 4, 2011 at 2:41 PM
    jackwithcorona

jackwithcorona Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Eastern Mass
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB SR5 4x4
    bestop supertop, rubber bed mat, weathertech floor mats
    yeah especially since im gonna pull the trigger on this mod once the weather improves, and i always seem to fuck SOMETHING up lmao

6. Apr 5, 2011 at 3:50 AM
    KOMA

KOMA [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Cambridge, On
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD
    Actually, yes. It seems to have cleared it up. I think the 9005s were drawing way too much current. Upon shutting off the key, it was either back feeding, or the ecm was not seeing the voltage references it wanted to causing something to malfunction (in this case, the ignition) it is a weird problem but now its day 6, and still no problems. 9005s are highbeams... 9145/H10s are the fogs for the tacomas. From what I've researched, this is a common thing people do for brighter fog lamps. Well it might work on older trucks, but it could mess up voltage references the ecm wants to see causing something else to mess up because its drawing more than it needs to... Then again, it could have just been a simple back feeding.

Products Discussed in

To Top