Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Technical Chat (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/)
-   -   Ignition Issue.. upon shutting down Truck (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/148475-ignition-issue-upon-shutting-down-truck.html)

KOMA 03-28-2011 02:52 PM

Ignition Issue.. upon shutting down Truck

Got an 06' Tacoma, V6, 4 door.... First time Tacoma Owner, first time ever joining a form... lots of great info... I love this site :)... OK, Both the fog lamps and the trailer harness are after market. At this moment the fog lamps seem to be the real issue with the ignition. Upon shutting down (key back and out), the truck still runs for a little bit longer (10sec - 1min) and then finally shuts down (by the way, this issue has always been intermittent). When it shuts down this way mind you... the dash lights remain "on" as if the key is in the "on" position (but not started). I unplugged both the fog lamps and the trailer harness.... the problem went away. I then decided to plug in one thing at a time to diagnose... and 2 days after my fog lamp fuses and relay were put back in, the problem came back.... It happened 4 times that week. I unplugged the fog lamps and tried the trailer harness by it self and exactly one after (and so far has only happened once) that same ignition issue came back. Now I'm back to both unplugged and am going to drive for another 2 weeks to see what happens. but so far this never happens with both unplugged (fingers crossed).

Both items were installed by previous owner.....

Anyone with the same problem? any Ideas?

KOMA 03-31-2011 01:08 PM

Well 2 days ago I actually pulled the bulbs out to see what the previous owner installed. Something I never thought to do. Turns out he had installed '9005' bulbs (high beams type lights on some vehicles) drawing 1.4amps more per bulb then the OEM 9145 or H10's. I bought the 9145s and installed them and put my fuse and relay back in. 2 days so far, no issues .. fingers crossed.

jackwithcorona 04-04-2011 01:12 PM

any update on this? you got me curious

teamfast 04-04-2011 01:51 PM

yes that is a strange issue I hope it is fixed, that has to be annoying.

jackwithcorona 04-04-2011 02:41 PM

yeah especially since im gonna pull the trigger on this mod once the weather improves, and i always seem to fuck SOMETHING up lmao

KOMA 04-05-2011 03:50 AM

Actually, yes. It seems to have cleared it up. I think the 9005s were drawing way too much current. Upon shutting off the key, it was either back feeding, or the ecm was not seeing the voltage references it wanted to causing something to malfunction (in this case, the ignition) it is a weird problem but now its day 6, and still no problems. 9005s are highbeams... 9145/H10s are the fogs for the tacomas. From what I've researched, this is a common thing people do for brighter fog lamps. Well it might work on older trucks, but it could mess up voltage references the ecm wants to see causing something else to mess up because its drawing more than it needs to... Then again, it could have just been a simple back feeding.