1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help steering problem

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Ptowntaco, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Apr 7, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    Ptowntaco

Ptowntaco [OP] Camburg :)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryce
    Petaluma Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner TRD
    Tint, Socked, Deck Plate mod, Camburg 2.5 coils, Camburg UCA, 5100's in the rear, Custom Deaver leaf pack, Micky Thomson Classic Locks, BFG KM2, CB
    The other day me an my friend replaced my steering rack bushing. Right after we where done my power steering was really hard. We saw that air go into the line so we flushed out the power steering. This made it a little easier to turn the wheel but still a big problem... When you are in a turn an let go of the steering wheel it will not snap back to center on its own. You have to pull it back to straight by hand.

I went an talked to a mechanic an he said that the caster can be off? I dont know what that is exactly i understand it but i dont know how it works on my tuck. I am not the best mechanic so maybe someone can help me out into understanding how it all works.

I think i am just going to take it too a shop an have them fix it. Unless its a simple fix so anyone who has any input that would be great!

Thanks, Bryce :D

2. Apr 7, 2011 at 5:32 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    To fully get rid of the air, hold it against the stops repeatedly.

Toe is controlled by the tie rods, camber is how much the top of the tire is in or out compared to the bottom of the tire (leaning vertically in/out) Caster is a measure of where the pivot point is on the steering; it's a measure of how far back is the lower ball joint compared to the top of the upper ball joint. Imagine a caster wheel, it follows the direction of travel.

Caster has no effect on a stationary vehicle!

3. Apr 8, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    When stationary, the steering shouldn't come back to center by itself. When rolling, it should.
    If everything worked before you did work on it, and now it's messed up, go back over your work. You messed something up. Wrong parts? Tightened wrong bolt? Who knows what you'll find;)

4. Apr 8, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    skytower

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Who said it wasn't? It wasn't specified. I was covering all the bases:D

Products Discussed in

To Top