1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brake Noise

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Kper, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Apr 24, 2011 at 6:28 AM
    Kper

Kper [OP] New Member

Member:
    Happy Easter everyone.

I'm here because I'm trying to help a friend. She owns a 2006 Tacoma 4x4 and is having front brake noise. Before she came to me she had another "friend" throw pads on it while breaking a lug in the process and it's still making noise. Now he brushes her off... probably a good thing for her.

I verified the noise which is worse in reverse with brakes applied but is also present moving forward with brakes applied in cold weather. I was going to buy good quality aftermarket pads and rotors until I discovered TSB BR005-07. It lists a kit required to complete the TSB that shows 2 rotors, 4 "non-reusable" clips and grease but no pads. The clips are what's in question here. We were going to simply put pads and rotors on it but now I'm wondering what these mysterious "non-reusable" clips are? Is this something only available in the TSB kit? Has anyone had this noise described in the TSB and fixed it with aftermarket parts?

Thank you.

2. Apr 25, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    Kper

Kper [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ok... has anyone had the TSB performed with success?

3. Apr 25, 2011 at 10:52 AM
    sparkystaco

sparkystaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sparky
    SE Wi
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 dc trd ofrd
    3" lift? A.R.E cap 285/70/17 moto metal 955 17x9
    could you describe the noise its making?

4. Apr 25, 2011 at 11:19 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    I don't know about the tsb. Thouroughly removing foreign material and old anti-squeal compound from the points where the pads contact the pistons and mounting points and reapplying anti-squeal has always worked for me. A thin coat where the rotor meets the hub helps too.
    I have used this, with good results, on my and customer vehicles: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...S4K7_nid=GS7LJKRT46gs4JS4WF0WC6glP4NC0NJKPJbl

5. Apr 25, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    Kper

Kper [OP] New Member

Member:
    Sparkystaco, the noise is somewhere between the groan you might hear just as the car comes to a stop or as you creep forward at a stop light and the squeal you might hear from the disc brakes of old, i.e. from the 70's/early 80's. It's nothing like I've heard before but certainly pad vibration on the rotor.

Skytower, I have that same product in my toolbox and use it religiously.

The TSB fits the problem to a "T" but what she's battling is she's worried that the Toyota parts won't fix the issue because a service writer told her it's not guarranteed and the cost is almost twice that of new aftermarket pads & rotors. She hasn't been able to find out what these mystery clips are that the TSB includes, either.

I have offered to give her the good friend discount (no labor) but for some reason she's afraid to make a move since this other friend already cleaned her pockets... sorta, and the noise came back weeks later with only a pad replacement on unturned rotors. Personally, I never, ever put pads on without a fresh rotor surface - either new or turned.

6. Apr 25, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    Kper

Kper [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for moving the thread.:)

Products Discussed in

To Top