1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Brake Adjustment

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by fs0002, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Apr 26, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    fs0002

fs0002 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Francis
    I have a 2006 Tacoma 4x4
    on my old Tacoma I use to adjust the rear brakes by pulling a rubber plug
    from the rear of the drum and then took a screw driver clicking up the adjuster. Does the 2006 Tacoma have this rubber plug to remove for adjusting the brakes, I can't find one on either side.
    Also are these rear shoes self adjusting? if so how do you do it?
    Thanks

shvy likes this.
  2. Apr 27, 2011 at 5:38 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I'd say you'll get a better adjustment by doing it yourself. Self adjusting doesn't seem to work very well in my experience, although I may not be doing it right. They're like other drum brakes. Pop out the rubber plug and use a flat blade screwdriver to adjust the click wheel inside.

3. Apr 27, 2011 at 7:46 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    The plug is on the top of the backing plate, as opposed to most others that have it on the bottom of the plate. But what I've used to get mine adjusted is the parking brake. "Supposedly" just backing up should cause the self-adjusters to kick in, but it doesn't seem to work that way on mine. I back into parking spots and my garage all the time, but at 15K, an adjustment was definitely evident (more weight transfer forward when coming to a stop).

I find a reasonably empty parking lot, then get moving a few mph, and SLOWLY apply the parking brake. Did this a few times and braking was much better. Note that you should apply the parking brake slowly as, on mine anyway, it was very touchy between slowing it down and locking up the rear wheels. Amazing how loud and attention-getting a set of locked up rear wheels in a parking garage is ....

I'm not sure if just cycling the parking brake while stopped would have the same effect, or if motion is required. I might try cycling it next time.

4. Apr 28, 2011 at 5:32 PM
    fs0002

fs0002 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Francis
    I got the rubber plugs off but could not find the correct position to sit the screwdriver on the spindle to click up. just felt like a empty hole on both wheels, is there a trick where to place the flat head screwdriver in to get it to adjust?

5. May 17, 2011 at 6:58 AM
    sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe They are more like guide lines.

Member:
    All Over
    Vehicle:
    Silver and simple
    Non
    That is something I would liek to do as well. I feel that the rear brakes need adjusting on my truck too. I am just not sure of how to do this?? I will try the parking brake thing though.

Products Discussed in

To Top