1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

unconventional mpg increases

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by ChewbacaTW, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Apr 27, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    ChewbacaTW

ChewbacaTW [OP] My progeny will be awesome!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    K&N air intake, custom exhaust, Powerslot Brakes, urethane steering rack bushings
    I know all the conventional MPG increases that people use:

Changing driving habits,
    Keeping your fluids changed,
    cleaning the air sensors,

as well as some of the unconventional ones:

using a power conditioner in the cigarette lighter,
    putting those magnet things on the fuel lines,

But what about other unconventional things like heating the fuel for example?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEiwWVY2j_8&feature=feedf

2. Apr 28, 2011 at 7:05 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    AC by pass mod, shuts off the compressor when any Defrost setting is selected. Not sure that is possible in AZ during the summer, but here in WI its saved me some gas for sure..no need to run the compressor everytime the defrost is on. Give it a search its on here somewhere and very easy to do.

3. Apr 28, 2011 at 9:02 AM
    96Taco

96Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2014 DBL CAB Tacoma

4. Apr 28, 2011 at 9:49 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    You forgot, limited slip will improve your mileage
    Using synthethic oils rated for fuel efficiency will improve MPG
    Correct tires with correct tire pressure.
    Speed and accessories mounted on the truck.

5. Apr 28, 2011 at 10:06 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.

What?:confused:

6. Apr 28, 2011 at 10:22 AM
    Norcan

Norcan What we don't have we make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Elora, ON Canada
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    Bakflip F1, BakBox, Sportwing Colour matched door mouldings, Weathertech floor liners, Toyota running boards,Toyota Hood Deflector,Pop N Lock power tailgate lock, Custom Otterbox defender mount for IPhone 4, Blu Logic Large button kit, BonGiovi DPS, fog light on with parking light low beam and high beam mod, TRD Exhaust, Muth heated signal mirrors, Liquid Metal Rhino Wheels in Black!, Redline Elite hoodlifts, EZ down tailgate,
    It should be left stock. Unless you want to buy a new compressor. The A/C system is lubricated by oil in A/C system. If you don't run the system for let's say 6 months (Oct-April) the compressor may seize. It also helps dry the air in the cabin to clear your windows faster.

Not saying your wrong, but region you live in and replacement cost of the compressor should be considered. Toyota will not warrenty your compressor if it fails due to this mod. beware

7. Apr 28, 2011 at 11:16 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Correct. If anything, an LS diff eats a bit more fuel, as the friction plates require a little more power to turn when engaged.

8. Apr 28, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    ChewbacaTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    K&N air intake, custom exhaust, Powerslot Brakes, urethane steering rack bushings
    I figured they were just voodoo. I only meant to use them as examples. Like another one that I heard of that I'm positive would screw up your lines is adding acetone to your gas. Again only an example but I thought maybe someone might have heard of other stuff. I started this post, merely an academic discussion.

9. Apr 28, 2011 at 5:27 PM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    finding a way to use the exhaust heat to heat-up the intake air temperature during low-power engine operations (example: highway driving.). This would result in better vaporisation of fuel which would produce a more efficient burn. Most don't know, but lot of your fuel economy losses during winter are due to bad fuel vaporisation and NOT ethanol (and other factors too...). Ethanol content will reduce energy density of fuel by less than 5%.

http://www.chevron.com/products/tips/fuel-school/

10. Apr 29, 2011 at 3:04 AM
    ChewbacaTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    good suggestion... my buddy and I were discussing something that some people do with vegetable oil for biodiesel. The vege oil is too viscous so they use a contraption that cycles the engine coolant around a section of the fuel line in order to make it flow better.

I was thinking that if you did something like that with a gasoline fuel line then it would heat the gas closer to the optimal burning temp of 350 degrees.

I was also wondering about whether or not you'd have to start fiddling with the fuel management in the computer. If you are sufficiently heating the intake and the fuel to achieve a better combustion wouldn't you have to decrease the pressure in order to keep from getting a mixture that's too rich?

11. Apr 29, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    http://www.fuelsaving.info/unburnt_fuel.htm

http://www.fuelsaving.info/atomisation.htm

12. Apr 29, 2011 at 8:42 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,

So what your saying is....If they only had a system of heating the throttle body, or part throttle combustion chamber operation....wait a min!!! I belive they do! The "EGR" and the Coolant lines which heat the TB....FWIW, Fuel econ loss in the winter months is due to colder, denser air, along with fuel with less specific energy.

13. Apr 29, 2011 at 9:22 AM
    ChewbacaTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    02 Xtra Cab TRD off road
    Why would the fuel be instantly cooled? I mean I know that it will cool if the air it hits is cooler than the fuel temperature but the idea of heating the fuel is to increase the total input temperature of the system. It won't cool as much as it would if it weren't heated and that's the point.... to make it easier for the fuel to vaporize.

14. Apr 29, 2011 at 3:07 PM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    ok guys thanks for the heads-up. That was just an idea I though would have been good in theory.

At least one person thought the same thing:

http://www.metrompg.com/posts/wai-test.htm

15. May 1, 2011 at 10:07 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    I save gas by asking my wife to get out and push

16. May 15, 2011 at 4:42 PM
    rose

rose New Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma
    As far as shutting down the refrigeration compressor during the winter months; not the worst idea, but the compressor does need to be run once and a while "to protect the compressor shaft seal." What typically has happened in the past, is that if the compressor hasn't be run for long periods of time, the shaft seal doesn't receive lubrication, and eventually starts leaking out freon. Then when the system is out of freon, it could seez up due to possible moisture intake, but most likely the high and low cut out pressure switches will keep the compressor clutch from kicking in and running the system at all, or it will kick in and out quite rapidly.

P.S. - Someone on the sight, helped me repair my temperature and directional read out (solder problem), and for that I am very greatful. Thank You!

17. May 15, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    brannman

brannman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD
    i don't see why you need a "mod" to not use the AC. just push the button and it turns off....seems simple enough to me

18. May 15, 2011 at 8:11 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    Buy a prius , go 50 , get skinnier tires, kick the trim n rear seats out, go live on a country road with no red lights , cut a leg off to save more weight , date anhorexics, and you still wont likely break 120 mpg drafting a semi , illegally.

Best way to save gas for me, bike to work, live closer to work for when you dont, I'm 4 miles.
    Honsetly , we pick the life we want, it costs fuel , there is only so much room to complain. If you go 80 mph on a modded truck travelling 60+ miles each way, and your wife drives the suburban..... we chose that life Its only going to get worse in the coming years as far as cost of fuels go. Miracle mpg gains , sheesh, Iv'e seen em since the 70s, I'm sure they go back to the model T, theyre not there, if they were they'd be all over google an youtube, and we would ALL have them.

ps, there used to be motorcycle races for mph, I think the record was 500+mpg

19. May 16, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    Old Soul

Old Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    not to many, love it the way it is
    acetone only works to increase mpg when using non ethanol treated gasoline. This used to work but now almost all gas has ethanol in it.

coating(or making from scratch) the entire engine and exhaust system with ceramics and using hydrogen as fuel is the wave of the future for cars.. a little electricity and water will create good burning gas(hydrogen). We just need to have some better batteries that are not heavy and last forever before hydrogen takes off. the cost of water (potable water)when this happens will be extreme no doubt..

20. May 21, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Doubtful. Hydrogen has many problems beyond making it. First, there's no way you're going to generate enough hydrogen using the car's electrical system. The power required to create enough hydrogen is much greater than the car will ever be able to generate. You'll use much more power than you would if you just ran the car off a battery instead. It'd be more feasible to make it an electric car than a hydrogen one.

http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/08-03-12/

Products Discussed in

To Top