1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Time to start engine

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by mlspence, May 23, 2007.

1. May 23, 2007 at 10:36 AM
    mlspence

mlspence [OP] Member

Member:
    Saint Joseph, Missouri, USA
    Vehicle:
    07 blue crew cab
    Retractible tonneau, running boards, tailgate lock,
    This is my first Toyota so I don't know if this is normal or not. I notice that I must crank the starter on my 2007 Tacoma with 4.0 V6 much longer than I did on my Ford and Chevy full-sized V8 trucks. It hasn't caused any problems other than I still ocassionally stop cranking before it starts running. Also, unless I overlooked it, I don't seem to have a cargo light to light the truck bed? Do they not put them on the fully loaded Tacoma's anymore? I haven't had it on the road but my drive to work and back is getting me 18-19 mph which is what was presented on the sticker (18-21). It has about 3200 miles on it with a tonneau cover. Although, I didn't see any change in mileage, as some said I would, once I added the tonneau.

On another point, I've been really impressed with the traction! I could not pull my small fishing boat out of the water with my Ford and Chevy full size without spinning or putting it in 4x4. This truck does it with no problem in 2 wheel drive! I guess it may be the limited slip but it is really impressive. If I have known it was going to be this sure-footed, I might have gone with a 4x2 and got a little more gas mileage. But overall, I've been really pleased with it.

2. May 23, 2007 at 12:35 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Glad you are happy with the truck.

I cant understand why those stupid bastards did not put a bed light on a fully loaded truck. It ticks me off evertime I think of it. I'm sure they saved it for the 2008 model year.

Re. extended cranking, speak to your dealership. Your timing may be retarded like Georgie. :D

3. May 23, 2007 at 12:42 PM
    mlspence

mlspence [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 blue crew cab
    Thanks. maybe I'll check with the dealership on the starting. don't want them to mess up the gas mileage though.

4. May 23, 2007 at 1:07 PM
    TRDeity

TRDeity Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDpro
    I heard it mentioned that they can reflash your computer to fix your crank time, I actually have the same issue but am learning to live with it, but I will ask about it too. I have a 4x2 and am getting the same MPG as you, actually I'm averaging 17.8 and about the same amount of miles.

5. May 25, 2007 at 4:20 PM
    Spyder327

Spyder327 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 X-Runner
    Aquamist 2D meth/water injection kit, URD Exhaust, DT Long Tube Headers, Hood Struts, and lots of other miscellaneous stuff...
    For the most part it is normal for the newer tacomas to take a little longer when starting up...

unless it takes a REALLY long time, i wouldn't be concerned.

6. May 25, 2007 at 6:14 PM
    coreyredken

coreyredken Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Georgia, Mount Airy
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    Westin Stainless Steel Oval Side Bars!
    When i first bought my truck.. I noticed it taking a tad longer to start. but now i never notice it . I don't even pay it any attention anymore ... No big deal.. Everything can't be the same.. if it was... how boring would that be? lol

7. May 29, 2007 at 5:16 AM
    mlspence

mlspence [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 blue crew cab
    Thanks for all of the responses. I'll probably just get used to it taking slightly longer to start. Apparently, it is fairly common and doesn't seem to hurt anything. I hate to let the dealership mess with it. That was a primary reason for going Toyota - hoping to be able to stay away from the service shop.

8. Nov 22, 2009 at 6:49 PM
    Cavender76

Cavender76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint Cavender
    Mobile, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5
    Removed Window Sticker
    I have the same trouble takes about three sec to start my truck. The dealership says they can fix it tuesday I will post then the results.

9. Nov 28, 2009 at 6:32 AM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    Def. longer to start than my Ford.Another guy mentioned pausing for a sec. or two after you turn the key on before you crank it.That seems to help.After I had the truck a few mos. it became a non-issue.

10. Nov 28, 2009 at 6:43 AM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    Holy Thread Revival Batman!

11. Nov 28, 2009 at 6:43 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Thats a good thing. It shows the search feature is still working :)

12. Nov 28, 2009 at 6:46 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    lies!!!!!

13. Nov 28, 2009 at 6:47 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    :annoyed:

Products Discussed in

To Top