1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stuck ARB locker..

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by sandman29306, May 25, 2011.

1. May 25, 2011 at 7:08 AM
    sandman29306

sandman29306 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Chattanooga TN
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner DC
    Icon COs and rear resis, Deaver leafs. ARB locker in rear. ARB front bumper...Pissed at Gadget for abandoning the Rotrex 3.4 supercharger.
    First time starting a thread, but search came up empty.

Went offroading in my 2001 prerunner with lift and ARB rear locker for a couple hours. Got back on pavement and locker is stuck engaged. Been that way for two days. I talked to ARB technical and disconnected the airline. No change. Advisor said that to unlock it shouldn't require an ARB installer, just a good shop.

The shop has to pull it out. Its my DD and I really don't want a non-authorized shop troubleshooting it. I asked them to reinstall my stock equipment. It has O ring issues anyway. I am gonna take the unit to authoorized dealer and take care of both issues at once.

Would anyone do something different? Thanks for any input guys.

2. May 25, 2011 at 7:33 AM
    sandman29306

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Chattanooga TN
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner DC
    Icon COs and rear resis, Deaver leafs. ARB locker in rear. ARB front bumper...Pissed at Gadget for abandoning the Rotrex 3.4 supercharger.
    Hey man. Thanks for the reply. No dryer on the line. Never even heard of one. Is this something that ARB sells? Im hoping its something simple. Guess I gotta pick a shop to go to now.

3. May 25, 2011 at 7:37 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    Or you gould go to a dry system a 20oz C02 tank will lock and un lock an ARB about 150 to 200 times before a refill.

4. May 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    sandman29306

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Chattanooga TN
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner DC
    Just got home from the shop. Guy said there was plastic in the gears causing it to not unlock but that the gears didn't look damaged and should be rather easy to rebuild. I have been looking at exploded diagrams but need to keep looking. Looking at the unit, I don't see anything obviously damaged or torn up, but I may not know what to look for.

I'm just glad I kept my stock open diff and picked it up on the way. I'll let you know how the rebuild goes. Gonna shoot an email to corporate ARB and see if they have a recommended shop around here. Hell I might ship it to them and let the pros rebuild it / re-O ring it.

Thanks for the help. That CO2 deal sounds sweet.

5. May 25, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Where did plastic come from ?:confused:

6. Oct 7, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    sandman29306

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Chattanooga TN
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner DC
    Old thread update.

I sent the locker back to ARB Technical. Repair bill was $207 and included a B type clutch gear, B type piston, B type bonded seal, a screw, 8 mm locking tab, and a bearing. Price above included labor and shipping from WA to north GA.

I got 100K out of this unit before it failed on me. Guess I can't complain.

Now to find a decent shop in the southeast to reinstall it. Having a pure open diff sucks. Spinning tires in the front yard is kinda embarrassing.

7. Oct 7, 2011 at 10:09 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I think this is the first ARB problem I ever heard of... and to re-ask what BlueT asked... where did the plastic come from?

8. Oct 8, 2011 at 9:12 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    did you u use all the time ???

9. Oct 8, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    sandman29306

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Chattanooga TN
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner DC
    David K and BlueT, I have no idea about the plastic and hate to sound ignorant amongst you more educated technical chaps, but that's the only answer I got for ya. I should have gotten it from the shop that swappped it out or at least snap a pic.

And to Manwithoutaplan I didn't use it all the time, about twice a month in the afternoons trail riding. Nothing extreme. I was alsolutely sure to make all driveline changes w no movement. It is what it is.

10. Oct 8, 2011 at 11:29 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    This actually happens quite often, we get this sometime where I work. They are in the process, maybe even done and R&D'ing the new design which does not use plastic IIRC from what I heard.

Products Discussed in

To Top