1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad Throttle Lag

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by BRP27, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Jun 21, 2011 at 6:26 PM
    BRP27

BRP27 [OP] When I grow up I want to be just like Me

Member:
    So far south in Texas my feet are in salt water
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    3 in Ultimate ToyTec, set @ 2.5 in. AAL PINCH Weld Mod ( beat the pinch weld over inside the fender) Painted the pinch weld on bottom of cab Black Hi Lift Knock off
    04 Tacoma, manual 5 speed, SR5, V6

Problem description

Press the accelerator pedal and truck does not accelerate or accelerates slowly. Feels like the truck is going to stall or die. Press the pedal all the way down and it starts to get power. At times it is best to just pump the throttle pedal and it will accelerate. Does not do this all the time and seems to be worse on the trip home from work, but I have had it do this in the morning. Does this when you slow down and then try to accelerate, not every time and runs good at cruise speed. Again does not do this all the time. But enough to be dangerous in traffic.

What I have checked
    In the service manual I have done the Throttle Body on Vehicle Inspection, check for throttle linkage is free, inspect throttle control motor for operating sound, inspect throttle control motor resistance, position sensor resistance, pedal sensor resistance . All within range. I didn,t check the accelerator pedal position sensor using the Hand-held Tester because I don't have the tester.

I thought it was the Throttle Position Sensor but it is within range at 1.6 ohm, Range is 1.2 to 3.2 ohm, The other sensor resistances are good.

Any one seen this? What is next ? Replace throttle body assembly?

2. Jun 21, 2011 at 6:29 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    Clutch problem? :notsure: How does your clutch pedal travel feel?

3. Jun 22, 2011 at 5:35 AM
    BRP27

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    3 in Ultimate ToyTec, set @ 2.5 in. AAL PINCH Weld Mod ( beat the pinch weld over inside the fender) Painted the pinch weld on bottom of cab Black Hi Lift Knock off

I was supprised to read in the service manual (link below) that I did have a throttle control motor. I can hear the motor running when you follow the service manual manual procedure. The manual has you turn on the ignition switch listen for the motor and move the throttle butterfly and listen to the motor change pitch.2001-2004 Toyota Tacoma Factory Service Manual When have I done any Maintenance?, I change the oil regularly. I changed the spark plugs 6 months ago, and cleaned the throttle body about a year ago.
    Clutch is good, grabs good no slipping

4. Jun 25, 2011 at 5:51 PM
    BRP27

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    Update
    As a double check I unpluged the throttle control motor again to check the throttle control motor to check the resistance per the manual. The resistance checked out per the specification. I forgot to plug it back in and drove off in the truck, had a check engine light and it would idle and run at full throttle only. I plugged it back in and reset the computer to clear the check engine light.

The problem I am having is simular but not as bad and no check engine light. So it appears that the problem may be an intermittent problem with the throttle body. They only sell the throttle body and not the sensors. That part costs over $1000 retail and is only a dealer part. I have found it online for around 700.

I will live with the the throttle lag for a while and wait and see if i throw any codes. If it keeps getting worse I may just spend 700 but dont want to spend that kind of money when i am not sure what the problem is.

5. Jun 25, 2011 at 6:08 PM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    could it be something else besides the TB. You said all the resistances read good. What about the fuel pump or injectors. could cause it to lag if its not getting the proper amount of fuel when you hit the pedal.

6. Jun 26, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    BRP27

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    It cold be the pump or injectors but it runs fine with the throttle at wide open. So that seems to rule out both the pump and injectors. When I get the throttle lag I can floor it and it pulls hard without any lag. It only has the lag at mid range throttle and only once or twice on a 40 mile trip. Sometimes it runs fine without any problem.

REV04 likes this.
  7. Jun 28, 2011 at 5:16 PM
    Taco Sos

Taco Sos Well-Known Member

Member:
    Culpeper, VA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma DC TRD 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s in front, 265/75/16 BFG A/T, Grey Wire Mod, Deck Palte Mod, Tint, Clarion Head Unit, Infiniti Speakers, Dual 4 channel amp
    From what you have described my truck is doing the exact thing. I have an 01 V6 Auto. It all started when I read on here that people hose out their engine bays without any problems. Naturally I have that problem now. Im gonna try plugs cause im sure it needs em anyways and I cleaned my MAF sensor cause i had it act kind of the same way before (but it threw a code then).

8. Jul 4, 2011 at 3:49 PM
    BRP27

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    I pulled the intake rubber between throttle body and the MAF lose just enough to spray sea foam into the throttle body with the engine running. I was careful to keep it off the MAF. And I am running sea foam in the gas tank. I am still getting some throttle lag but it seems to be better, but has not been long since I did this.

This is a lot cheaper than a $700 throttle body, and I cant prove it is the TB. But if it is the TB I think it would be a worn spot on a potentiometer probably at a spot where the engine is at about 2500 RPM, because the truck runs at 2500 a lot.

REV04 likes this.
  9. Jul 17, 2011 at 5:42 PM
    BRP27

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    Sea foam in the tank for a while and dont fill up at low volume gas stations. The problem appears to be poor quality gas. And Sea Foam is great. I am putting in dirt bikes, jet ski and tractor. The ethanol in the gasoline is crap.

REV04 likes this.
  10. Jul 26, 2011 at 6:22 PM
    BRP27

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    it has been 2 weeks or more and the truck runs great after several sea foam treatments

Glad I did not buy a throttle body

REV04 likes this.
  11. Jul 29, 2011 at 2:49 PM
    Hikeco

Hikeco New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    01 4-Runner
    BRP,
    Is your truck still running ok? I have a very similar problem which has been going on for quite a while. I was ok after some StaBil and some other potent Yamaha treatment then the issue returned. Then after an induction service at Toyota it went away again for a while but has now returned. I posted a thread on Toyota Nation because I was unable to find any symptoms of my problem, now I see this one today. My post was long so I'll spare you guys, I was just being very thorough. Here is the link in case anyone would like to read it:
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=387658
    If you do decide to read it please let me know your thoughts, ideas. It would be much appreciated. I am at the point of having to make the choice of installing a throttle body. Don't want to ship out all the money if I don't have a 100% guarantee on it.

12. Jul 30, 2011 at 8:56 PM
    BRP27

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    Hikeco
    The sea foam has worked so far, but I am not sure why. I read the post link, the discription is very simular to what I was seeing. I would hold off as long as I could on buying a throttle body, it is just crazy expensive and Toyota is just throwing parts at the problem.

Try sea foam it cant hurt, worked for me.

And read this link and try what the 5th poster suggests, pump the throttle 0-100 % 100 times. If the problem is the TPS this procedure will/could clean the TPS potentometer and fix the problem.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/168680-cant-figure-hick-up-out.html

REV04 likes this.
  13. Jul 31, 2011 at 1:47 PM
    Hikeco

Hikeco New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    01 4-Runner
    BRP,
    Thanks for the info, and the link. I will check out the link when I have a few xtra mins.:)

14. Aug 3, 2011 at 2:24 PM
    Hikeco

Hikeco New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    01 4-Runner
    OK, I did the 100 pumps, hope that helps. Haven't had the truck problem again since toyota tested the TPS and said the throttle body was bad. I think I've gone about 150 miles so far. I will be waiting till the last minute to change it believe me.

15. Oct 3, 2011 at 12:44 PM
    BRP27

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    it has been 3 months since I pumped the accelerator 100 times. I have not had any problem with throttle lag since, I did this. So I am saying this problem is fixed. Must have been the TPS all along.

16. Oct 5, 2011 at 6:12 PM
    Hikeco

Hikeco New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    01 4-Runner
    Mine is doing good too, although I bought the Seaform but never have used it yet. I was waiting till it had the problem again to use it. Maybe something was loose and got better when they tested the TPS. Don't know, just hope this time it doesn't come back.

17. Dec 25, 2011 at 1:07 PM
    BRP27

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    5 months and I am convinced that the 100 pumps on the accellerator fixed the problem.

18. May 6, 2013 at 12:10 PM
    budshupe

budshupe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bud
    lakeside ca
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma trd
    wtf happened to the other pages? I know theres more than this

19. May 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    BRP27

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    This was all of this post. There are other posts on the subject

20. May 12, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    foamgun

foamgun New Member

Member:
    sw pa.
    Vehicle:
    2013 tacoma
    my 2013 is doing this also but not alot more llike i have 2000 mi on it and its done this like 5 times ,what do y mean by pumping gas pedal 100 times?when its parked or in neutral when its running?

Products Discussed in

To Top