Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Technical Chat (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/)
-   -   Tacoma running lean with TRD cold air intake fix (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/164989-tacoma-running-lean-trd-cold-air-intake-fix.html)

ottomastiff 07-02-2011 02:22 PM

Tacoma running lean with TRD cold air intake fix

VId I made for people having issues with the 2nd gen CAI and running lean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfMpeTdseMU

G scott04 07-02-2011 02:25 PM

Excellent information!

Erad 07-04-2011 02:27 PM

Modification for 2nd gen trd cai

Question: Does this modification only apply if you have the s/c, or is this for N/A engines as well?

ottomastiff 07-04-2011 06:05 PM

To my knowledge it applies mainly for the Cold air intake. but its always good to look at the whole picture.

whippersnapper02 07-04-2011 09:41 PM

I wonder if this works. Gadget...where are you? Lol.

Erad 07-06-2011 11:39 AM

Hey Otto,

After cutting part of the tube out have you gotten a lean code yet? Or has it been stable so far? I've been wanting to get the trd cai but with problems of it running lean, been hesitating getting the cai.

ottomastiff 07-06-2011 04:49 PM

Its running fantastic. I've put it through the paces as well over the 4th. Everything is great.

I don't know if you'll need a reflash if you put in just a cai. but it is working great for me now.

Good luck!

Hepdawg69 07-06-2011 06:24 PM

Awesome info!! Like others said been hesitant on getting the TRD CAI because of the lean issues. This helps me want to get it now, my s/c I know wants it ; )

Lucario Runner 07-06-2011 06:28 PM

Interesting.....

Grande 07-06-2011 06:37 PM

yea but hes got a super charger, he probly had to get bigger fuel injectors, which dumps more gas, more gas means u need more air, so if the thing was blocking whatever he was explaining, it would caused it to be more lean, Air and Gas ratios is very important as how u tune them, lean is more gas than air, rich is more air than gas, u need to have a certain amount of both to hav the best combustion possible.

but i dont get why a N/A would be lean with a Intake.

i maybe be wrong tho

Lucario Runner 07-06-2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grande (Post 3400910)
yea but hes got a super charger, he probly had to get bigger fuel injectors, which dumps more gas, more gas means u need more air, so if the thing was blocking whatever he was explaining, it would caused it to be more lean, Air and Gas ratios is very important as how u tune them, lean is more gas than air, rich is more air than gas, u need to have a certain amount of both to hav the best combustion possible.

but i dont get why a N/A would be lean with a Intake.

i maybe be wrong tho

Lean means to much air, Rich means to much fuel. Both N/A and F/I need to have a good A/F ratio in order to have the most performance.

ottomastiff 07-06-2011 06:56 PM

I did mention my build. there are bigger points that come with the super charger as lucaro mentioned. The plastic piece was starving the engine of air.
After cutting it off and letting the cai do its thing. everything came out peachy.

Lucario Runner 07-06-2011 06:58 PM

Do you have a way to monitor your afr's? I'd be interested to see how it differentiates from the 1st gen TRD.

ottomastiff 07-07-2011 10:58 AM

I dont have a way to monitor my afr, atm

chris4x4 07-07-2011 02:19 PM

Rather than cut off that much plastic, Wouldnt it be better to drill the plastic out thats blocking the openings? That way youre not loosing as much material that might be used to securley attach the peices together.

whippersnapper02 07-07-2011 02:45 PM

How about just don't buy the whole crummy intake?

Lucario Runner 07-07-2011 03:12 PM

Some people will buy it at the dealer without knowing much if anything about it. If they then find TW at least there are a couple of fixes for it.

ottomastiff 07-07-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 (Post 3404517)
agreed...............Id just ream that out, and use finger/screw driver to align the holes whenever putting it back together.

It was just done as toyota intended, there is a groove that runs the circumference of the tube to cut.

It doesn't of course mean that drilling holes isn't a bad idea, but it is a little more work as you need to take the time to align it and bore it out to the right size. The other thing is i would not know how much shift there would be through out time. Holes = exact position.

Cut off lets things shift with no diminishing flow.

Just some thoughts.

ottomastiff 07-07-2011 05:18 PM

Oh and woot! my first sticky haha

ottomastiff 07-07-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris4x4 (Post 3404457)
Rather than cut off that much plastic, Wouldnt it be better to drill the plastic out thats blocking the openings? That way youre not loosing as much material that might be used to securley attach the peices together.

I have the piece that was cut off, it does not reach over to the other side of end of the connecting end, which means it adds no value to being held securely.

The tube in question sits snug in the connecting rubber piece, but is not a major factor in securing things together.

The fasteners are on the ends of the connecting rubber tube with a little lip to keep it secure. So the part cut off again adds no value to it being secure.

Sorry if this isn't very clear. I can post some pics later and clarify.