1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Alarm/Remote Start for $200ish???

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by tacobox, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 6, 2011 at 10:16 AM
    tacobox

tacobox [OP] Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS

Member:
    I'm looking to get an alarm/remote start for my truck but I don't know a whole lot about security systems. I really can't decide which so I ask the help from TW. So far, the 2 that have caught my eye are theAutopage C3RS915LCD and the Viper 5901. I also really like the viper 5902 with the 2-way color fob, but its abit more than I want to spend but if its that much better, I'm definatly willing to toss out the extra cash.
    If there are any others in this price range please, suggest them.

2. Sep 6, 2011 at 10:22 AM
    Us3r

Us3r Reading...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Socali
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma Std. 2RZ-FE 2WD
    Axle wrap mod (Shackled), 140 Amp Alternator & Wires, HID Headlights, Brush Guard Grille, Hella 550 Driving Lights. |Saving:Total Chaos.|
    IMHO,

Remote starts are very much useless... and aside from that fact, it increases the chances of your vehicle being stolen.

If installed correctly and brain is hidden, maybe not as much. But what generally happens is the alarm is installed in a very generic, generalized place, (by the drivers foot board). When adding a "remote start function" to an alarm - You'll have wires (larger gauge) going straight to your ignition.

If someone wants your vehicle, like really bad, they will get it.All you can do is prolong the time it takes to get away with your car. A remote start alarm just has that much more wires allowing the idiot to find the brain quicker and disables it.

Horn installation is VITAL as well as ignition wiring. <---- Pay attention

I use to do stealth alarm installs for people. I've done an rx7 that's been broken in to 3 times and was found a few blocks down the street.

STEALTH alarm install. (hide the brain) Mask all colors of wires going to ignition. (I normally change the wires all to one color and color code the very end of the plug) I've gone as far as to switch the pin layouts and wire colors of some vehicle.

In general, I really don't recommend remote starts as it adds a quick and easy path way to have your vehicle stolen.

my 2cents

edit: Imagine auto starting, some low life disables ur cut off switch and drives off with your shit after breaking your steering lock. Awesome and Epic

3. Sep 6, 2011 at 10:28 AM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    But he didnt ask your opinion on whether or not to get one.
    Op, I have had viper, compustar and python. I liked the compustar best. Around $325 for parts and install

4. Sep 6, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    Us3r

Us3r Reading...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Socali
    Vehicle:
    Axle wrap mod (Shackled), 140 Amp Alternator & Wires, HID Headlights, Brush Guard Grille, Hella 550 Driving Lights. |Saving:Total Chaos.|

What I mentioned are FACTS in automotive security.

and I didn't say he shouldn't. I gave him more information to make a better educated decision.

to each its own.

edit: to me the point of a security system is to secure my vehicle, not make it easier to get stolen.

5. Sep 6, 2011 at 10:58 AM
    tacobox

Member:
    Thanks for your opinion but I'm not trying to make my truck unstealable cause that's not possible. But that fact is, I didn't ask for security system facts, I asked for a good alarm/remote start for $200. But thanks for you useless posts.

Now back on topic
    And turftaco, thank you. I've heard good things about the compustar too. Totally forgot about them till you mensioned it.
    Keep em comin

6. Sep 6, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    Us3r

Us3r Reading...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Socali
    Vehicle:

Not a problem Buddy! :cool:

Figure people like to protect their investments. :rolleyes:

7. Sep 6, 2011 at 11:14 AM
    2009Silver

2009Silver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    WeatherTechs Bed Extender Bed Mat 3" Lift Spidertrax Clarion DVD HU Overhead Monitor
    :popcorn:
    Subscribed.. I want to get one this fall...

8. Sep 6, 2011 at 11:24 AM
    Frostbyte

Frostbyte Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Utah
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD OR Manual
    SOLD - 03 Black SR5 4x4 TRD OR RIP - 07 Radiant Red SR5 4x4 TRD Sport Fabtech 6" lift, 33x12.50.18 Toyo M/T on All black XD Hoss wheels

if someone wants your vehicle, they are going to take it whether it has a remote start, or not....

9. Sep 6, 2011 at 11:34 AM
    I Liquid I

I Liquid I Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    06 BSP DCLB, 17 Inferno TRD Offroad DCSB, 06 SW ACLB
    Too many mods to list

How about instead just politely thanking him for the experience he shared with you.

With what he posted, you'd be able to find a more secure alarm, making note of the weaknesses he posted.

10. Sep 6, 2011 at 11:52 AM
    colder

colder Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab TRD Sport
    That isn't really how thieves work, I don't think.

People looking to thieve anything (not just cars) are looking for quick and low-risk "targets of opportunity". If your truck presents any difficulty or additional risk of being spotted or getting caught, they move on. If it's parked in a well-lit area and people are around, they won't try it. If you're parked in a dark parking garage in the middle of the night, then there is some elevated risk.

I saw one list of most commonly stolen vehicles AFTER adjustment for # of that make/model registered, and it was the Jeep Wrangler at #1 - probably just easy to gain entry to without arousing suspicion.

The most common vehicles stolen otherwise are Camry's, Accords, Civics, etc. They aren't distinctive. They present extremely common targets for a thief who is well acquainted with the process of stealing that particular make and model. Often these aren't professional thieves, though there are sophisticated car theft rings out there (particularly in border states). They are often some loser who learned "how to steal a Civic" from someone else, and tends to stick with what he knows.

If thieves are looking for trucks they tend to steal American full-size trucks, later models are good because they contain parts that aren't manufactured anymore and are generally easier to steal than newer ones. Plus there's a more abundant market for the parts from an F-150.

Anyway. Just what I learned from some reading I did once.

It's not that I think the OP is dumb for getting an alarm. I just don't think "If they want your vehicle they will take it" is totally true. They have their own motivations and calculations they do around it. They follow rational processes. You can guess which car on your street might be more attractive.

11. Sep 6, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    TacoTabe

TacoTabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Northeast PA
    Vehicle:
    '93 pickup

That's what insurance is for. As you stated, they want it, they'll take it.

OP, be responsible with your choice of parking locations, don't leave anything valuable in plain sight, etc. and get a remote start! I'll be getting one as well (once I get that far down my priority list of mods:rolleyes:)

12. Sep 6, 2011 at 8:49 PM
    tacobox

Member:
    Yet Another useless post. And I was polite unlike you and this garbage you posted. I could've just called him a "fucking idiot" and posted some childish picture
    PHP:
    .... but I didn't.:rolleyes: Its guys like you and us3r that destroy sites and cause people not even to want to post up. Look at ttora. Asses like y'all just looking to stir the pot with negitivity and insults. Luckly I don't care and it rolls right off. All I asked for was suggestions on what to buy, not to be mothered, judged or insulted about it. Keep your dumb shit outta my threads unless you actually have something constructive to contribute, which I doubt that would ever happend. So grow up and keep to trolling.

Mods, please clean this thread up cause it has the potential to be very informative for someone looking to buy a security system and even better, a remote starter of those hot/cold days. I apologise for the language and the bs some tards like to post on good threads.

13. Sep 7, 2011 at 4:44 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Civility...........tis a bitch, ain't it.

14. Sep 7, 2011 at 7:48 AM
    Us3r

Us3r Reading...

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Socali
    Vehicle:

dude, where the hell did I insulted or judged your ass. Constructive? I gave u some information on remote start and you blew this shit up.

your 30?

Hah, since I don't see where the insults n crap are. you asked for suggestion on what to buy and I provided info so you can look.

I guess I provided negativity and insults.

Lot's of name calling and I ain't the one yelling.

Yeah, mods, clean this up as OP requested.

15. Sep 7, 2011 at 8:34 AM
    I Liquid I

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    Too many mods to list
    Actually no. Its peeps like you that destroy the possibility of good sites to be even better, when you get help and then in turn act in a childish and ungrateful way. You make the helpful people, not care about helping in the future.

Also, how the hell is telling someone who posted a lot of good information about what you asked that his post was useless being polite?

Sure, I may have gone over the line in how I originally said what I said, mainly because I really do think you acted the way I called you, but if there was any cleaning to be done, it should have been of people with the attitude you display.

Edit: BTW, nice going in reporting me for calling you an idiot, then going and calling me a retard.

16. Sep 7, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Nothing about those posts was useless. While the pic and verbage were indeed out of line, it has since been addressed making the subject matter moot.

Secondly, you said yourself that you don't know a lot about security systems. Information was provided to give you a better understanding from a former installer. Just because he didn't specifically suggest which one to buy was no reason was no reason to turn it around on him.

17. Sep 7, 2011 at 9:21 AM
    tacobox

Member:
    You posted an answer to a question that wasn't asked. I don't care about what you think about remote starts. All I wanted to know which is the best. If someone steals my truck because of a remote start, oh well I'll start over with the insurance money Thinking if you hide the brain will keep a vehicle from getting stolen you are sadly mistaken. They could just drag it on a flatbed and poof its gone and some hidden item isn't going to make the whole truck invisible. If you would have just posted what the thread asked for we wouldn't be to this point so bravo to you. Maybe someone should unstealth your brain cause it seems like to keeping you from doing the simple task of Q&A. So your answer is no remote start.... got it thanks for your input.

Yeah I'm in the wrong here.:rolleyes: If people actually read questions and answer what was actually asked we might be able to help each other instead of name calling and bickering. Maybe its a PR language barrier. Now because of you and us3r this thread is fucked so bravo to you aswell. I'm def above all this so y'all 2 have a ball posting answers to questions that were never asked.

18. Sep 7, 2011 at 9:24 AM
    tacobox

Member:
    Just delete the whole thread cause it can go nowhere but down from here

19. Sep 7, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    I Liquid I

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    Too many mods to list
    Really? A PR language barrier? IM I NOT SPEAKING ENGLISH? :mad: Way to be above it all!

As for your original question. I'm hating myself for helping someone like you, but Viper 5901 is the way to go.

Edit: Reminding myself not to pull a Samuel Jackson and call him a motherfucker repeatedly. :rolleyes:

20. Sep 7, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    i have the 5901 then upgraded remotes to the color 5902 one...its a great alarm...:D

[​IMG]

i stepped it up a bit with the extra cell phone module a couple of months ago as well...:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top