1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Has anyone installed a lower billet grille

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by wormhole7, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Jun 11, 2007 at 6:27 PM
    wormhole7

wormhole7 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
    I have a 2006 double cab and just bought an upper and lower billet grille black in color.
    The instructions tell me to take off the bumper to install the lower grille, so I thought I would ask if anyone has done something similar and if so, is this something that one person can do. How much does the bumper weigh? Also an option is to paint the area behind the upper grille flat black for a better look. Can this be done without damaging the cooling system? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

2. Jun 17, 2007 at 9:47 AM
    wormhole7

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
    I went ahead and installed both the upper and lower billet grille and the bumper was pretty easy to remove and only weighs about 15 pounds tops.
    Don't think I'll paint the area behind the upper grille black.

3. Jun 17, 2007 at 9:55 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    hey...where did you find a black billet grill? i've been looking everywhere for one and cant find it. i also need the full 5 pc set though.

4. Jun 17, 2007 at 11:09 AM
    wormhole7

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
  5. Jun 17, 2007 at 11:19 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    oh, ok. i'm looking for the billet bar grill. just a style i like

6. Jun 19, 2007 at 4:44 PM
    wormhole7

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
  7. Jul 1, 2007 at 8:30 AM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
  8. Jul 1, 2007 at 9:50 AM
    wormhole7

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    I stand corrected.
    Removing the bumper...
    You are correct on that point as well, the directions stated that you don't have to remove the bumper, but they suggested that you do to make it easier to drill the holes and place the flat bolts on the screws.

9. Jul 3, 2007 at 11:54 AM
    DirtJumper14

DirtJumper14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OR
    5100's, BDF grills and light bracket, big 3 upgrade, ATH bed braces, snugtop xtra vision shell, (bed, shell, hood, rock, front, rear, footwell, glove box, center console led lighting), MESO Gasshole, MESO dome and map lights, Flyeyez center console light, custom fuse panel, TRD CAI, toyota bed mat, 2013 black carpet, 2015 side mirrors, BedRug, AJT key fob, ultraguage, 8 cadillac horns acdf, pop n lock tailgate lock, energy suspension bushings, spicer greasable ujoints, Rigid lights everywhere, kenwood stereo, led tube taillights (red), 2018 T4R trail wheels, rokblok mud flaps, TRD skid plate, RCi gas tank skid plate
    Wormhole!!

Did you get that from eAUTOWORKS or did you get it from another retailer. Just want to find the best deal. I think that looks great. I am honestly not a fan of the standard billet type grill and this is sharp. Thanks man!!

10. Jul 3, 2007 at 3:12 PM
    wormhole7

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Thanks, and yes, I did get it from eAUTOWORKS. You might google search "grillecraft" and see if you can find a better deal. Might be
    worth a few minutes to check.

11. Jul 3, 2007 at 3:14 PM
    DirtJumper14

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OR
    5100's, BDF grills and light bracket, big 3 upgrade, ATH bed braces, snugtop xtra vision shell, (bed, shell, hood, rock, front, rear, footwell, glove box, center console led lighting), MESO Gasshole, MESO dome and map lights, Flyeyez center console light, custom fuse panel, TRD CAI, toyota bed mat, 2013 black carpet, 2015 side mirrors, BedRug, AJT key fob, ultraguage, 8 cadillac horns acdf, pop n lock tailgate lock, energy suspension bushings, spicer greasable ujoints, Rigid lights everywhere, kenwood stereo, led tube taillights (red), 2018 T4R trail wheels, rokblok mud flaps, TRD skid plate, RCi gas tank skid plate
    Thanks alot. It really looks sharp. I think it would look better like that especially on my Speedway Blue. Did you install the lower as well... I can't really tell from the pic, my flat screens picture quality leaves something to be desired.

12. Jul 3, 2007 at 3:16 PM
    DirtJumper14

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OR
    Also, I forgot to ask. Did you remove the stock inner piece (cut it out) or does it lay over the existing? Thanks again!! Andy

13. Jul 3, 2007 at 9:14 PM
    wormhole7

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    No prob, Check out the instructions...
    http://tuneshops.org/index~method~article~article_id~200.htm
    They do a blue truck and it looks awsome in my opinion.
    I did cut out both the upper and lower center piece. That is an "option",
    It will fit over the existing grill. It was a little tough to start cutting on my new truck :eek:

14. Jul 3, 2007 at 9:17 PM
    wormhole7

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Oh, I did install the lower grille as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top