1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Limited Slip help....any ideas?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by k2rider, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Sep 15, 2011 at 10:26 AM
    k2rider

k2rider [OP] Member

Member:
    North County SD
    Not sure if this is the right place for this question.

I just bought a 2011 TRD CCLB. The dealer had pre-installed a Ready Lift, 17x9 Pro Comp wheels and I now have 285/70R17 Toyo Open Country AT tires as well.

My problem is there is this ONE on ramp that I take every day to get on the freeway. It's a sweeping (not a 90 degree, sharp) right turn that also banks right before straightening out. The type that could be really fun in a sports car...you get the idea.

Unfortunately for me, when I am maybe 60% into the turn, the right front end 'shudders' and the truck wants to pull back to the left a bit. At the same time, the car starts beeping and the limited slip symbols flash on the dash for 2-3 seconds. The 'shudder' feels and sounds like when your anti-lock brakes kick in. It all goes away once the ramp straightens out.

I'm guessing that the larger tire is rubbing on something but I'll be darned if I can find it. It doesn't help that it only occurs on this one on-ramp. That being said, I can't think of another downhill, sweeping to the right, banked to the right ramp I take.

Any ideas? I'm taking it in on saturday but unless it's something obvious, I don't know how they might be able to replicate the problem since the ramp is nowhere near the dealer.

2. Sep 15, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Your VSC is engaging .

As said above the skid control ecu needs to be reset

3. Sep 15, 2011 at 11:36 AM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Fleshlight and an old Farrah Fawcett poster.
    x3^^^

Simply put- VSC uses the ABS system. You're hearing/feeling the ABS system actuating to slow the vehicle down and get it back in control.

4. Sep 15, 2011 at 1:35 PM
    k2rider

k2rider [OP] Member

Member:
    North County SD
    Thanks, I hope it's that simple. the only part that worries me is I'm not going that fast and I'm not *out* of control so there is no reason for it to engage to get me back *in* control. I appreciate everybody's insight and advice. :D

5. Sep 15, 2011 at 1:43 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    It thinks you're out of control because based on stock tire size, the speed differential from side to side is different with larger diameter tires. Get it reset and you'll be fine. Don't you love when your truck thinks for you? :rolleyes:

6. Sep 15, 2011 at 2:33 PM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Fleshlight and an old Farrah Fawcett poster.
    Yeah. Not put you in panic mode but you should be worried. I've heard and read some interesting horror stories from guys when their VSC kicks in at the wrong time. Hopefully the dealer steps up.

Products Discussed in

To Top