1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto Door Locks

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by big69bob, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Feb 1, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    big69bob

big69bob [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 Prerunner
    Leather seats Navi
    Asked the dealer to program my auto door locks to lock when the truck starts moving (5 or 10 mph) and to automatically unlock when I put the truck into park. They said it was not possible to program it that way! Really??? Driven alot of new vehicles and they all do that. Is this true?

What a pain in the butt to find the little unlock button to let everyone out of the truck when I park!

2. Feb 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    No way to program them on the Tacoma. It isn't a passenger car or a SUV.

3. Feb 2, 2012 at 2:51 PM
    big69bob

big69bob [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 Prerunner
    Leather seats Navi
    Thanks Dexterdog...if thats my only gripe about this truck I think Im OK. Really love my truck!

4. Feb 20, 2012 at 8:20 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Some trucks lock when the shifter is put into drive and unlocks when placed in park.

5. Feb 20, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    pancho

pancho Go home Nubbs, street lights are off!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pancho
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    18 Cement OR 4x4 DCSB
    Black out emblems. TRD Pro grille.
    Back doors you do.

6. Feb 20, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    pancho

Member:
    First Name:
    Pancho
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    18 Cement OR 4x4 DCSB
    I know the 04 Tundras limited do. Find out the wiring for that. Ill check if my dad will let me "investgate" on his truck for the way to do it. :cool:

7. Feb 20, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    pancho

Member:
    First Name:
    Pancho
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    18 Cement OR 4x4 DCSB
    You're my possibility ;)

8. Mar 30, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    wlandrum

wlandrum Member

Member:
    Pasco, WA
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma DC/LB, Mag Gray, TRD Sport
    Any luck in getting the doors to auto lock?

9. Mar 30, 2012 at 9:54 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    There's gotta be a way to do it, it's just involved which is why no one has done it yet. You'd need to get creative with your wiring so whatever wire becomes live when you shift out of park, trips a relay to make the doors lock. If you spend enough time studying the wiring diagram for the Tacoma, I'm sure it's possible.

10. Mar 30, 2012 at 9:57 AM
    mcdowell

mcdowell My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
    My F-150 did. Miss that

11. Mar 30, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    My Silverado did also :D

I've never heard of one that unlocks when you put it in park though... Not sure I'd want that feature either.

12. Feb 22, 2013 at 11:56 AM
    JoCoQS

JoCoQS This until I can afford a REAL truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Cherokee
    I realize this subject has been talked about a ton but I own a '12 TRD DCSB and wanted to touch on this subject. My door locks used to automatically lock when I started driving, at around 10 mph or so. I didn't like this especially when I finally stopped I would have to unlock all the doors (usually with the door lock switch on the driver's door) to use any door but the driver's door. I can't count how many times I exited the truck and went around to the passenger side to unload groceries, or whatnot, only to discover the doors on the passenger side STILL locked. What a PITA. Then I would have to go around to the driver's door to unlock all the doors using the door lock switch or hit the unlock button on the key FOB twice. Another PITA!
    I, too, was hoping I could program the doors to auto-lock when I put the transmission in drive and auto-unlock when I put the transmission in park. I found a post on TW that described how to perform a similar "programming", although it wasn't written specifically for a 2012. I followed the write-up exactly and now not only do the doors not auto-lock like they used to they have been "un-programmed" from auto-locking at all. They no longer auto-lock after about 10 mph. I took my truck to the only friendly Toyota dealership service center I can find in my area and the techs gave me an incredulous look when I told them the doors used to auto-lock but now don't. The look they gave me was one that I was lying to them. I asked how the doors originally auto-locked and their answer was that they didn't. They also told me the ONLY two items programmable on the 2012 are the seatbelt chimes (on/off) and the speedometer (mph/kph). Hopefully someone on here can explain how I can program the door locks to auto-lock as desired (off in park and on in drive) and if that CAN'T be done how to get the auto-locks back to the original factory behavior (auto-lock when moving around 10 mph). Of course now I can't find the write-up but if I recall it went something like this (although I'm sure I have one or two of the steps wrong): With key in ignition and driver's door closed; open driver's door and remove key from ignition. *Within 30 seconds complete the following* Close driver's door and insert key into ignition. Turn ignition from off to on (do not start) 5 times, ending with key in the off position. Open and close driver's door twice. If ignition on for auto-door lock is desired leave driver's door open and remove key from ignition. Supposedly programming was complete at that point. If you desire ignition off for auto-door lock then close driver's door then remove key from ignition. Programming complete. I'm sure I don't have that written exactly as it was in the write-up but now my doors don't auto-lock at all, EVER. Surely someone (smarter than me) has figured this one out.

13. Feb 22, 2013 at 3:17 PM
    JoCoQS

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Cherokee
    I found the steps I performed on a different blog although I swear I found this on TW when I tried it before. Anyway here are the steps I tried:

1. Open the driver's door. Remove the key from the ignition switch.
    2. (Complete these steps within 30 seconds)
    A. Insert the key into the ignition switch.
    B. Close, then open the driver's door 2 times.
(SHUT - OPEN - SHUT - OPEN)
    C. Turn the key from LOCK to ON 5 times, ending at ON
(LOCK - ON - LOCK - ON - LOCK - ON - LOCK - ON - LOCK - ON)
    3. Programming option (select one of the following).
    A. [Ignition controlled lock ON] Close the driver's door.
    B. [Ignition controlled lock OFF] Close the driver's door twice, leaving it closed.
(SHUT - OPEN - SHUT)
    4. Turn the key to LOCK. The programming is complete. If programming did not occur, start over.

Since it didn't work the first several times I tried it I figured I might as well try several times more. If it works on my '12 I'll let you know.

14. Feb 22, 2013 at 7:12 PM
    12DblCab

12DblCab I don't know what to write here

Member:
    South
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport "Pyrite Mica"
    I wonder if there are any similar door lock switches with auto lock in other Toyota models that could be swapped out. I recently saw another thread where someone found fog lights from a Sequoia or something that fit the Tacoma perfectly.

15. Feb 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM
    joesal23

joesal23 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Kyle, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab short bed base model
    i had a different question about keyless entry. i never had keyless entry programmed. i want to buy the keyless entry remote off Amazon to save money from the dealership. i noticed on another site that sells the remote stating that this will not work unless the vehicle already had keyless entry programmed. has anyone programmed keyless entry themselves? i have a 2009 double cab tacoma.

16. Sep 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    mgratton

mgratton Yoda fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB SR5 4x4 w/Tow Package
    redinKS,

Did you ever get it to work?

mikeg

17. Sep 10, 2013 at 5:48 AM
    JoCoQS

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Cherokee
    mgratton,

I never did get the door locks to operate the way I would like (Lock in Drive; Unlock in Park) but they are again operating as they did originally (autoLock at around 10 mph). I can't recall how I got them operating again, sorry. I am so disgusted all the doors can't be programmed to unlock with a SINGLE click of the key fob that I think I chalked this crappy feature down as one Toyota really fu##ed up on.

18. Sep 10, 2013 at 7:32 AM
    mgratton

mgratton Yoda fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the reply.

Personally, I don't mind the double click to unlock all the doors but I do wish that the doors would lock while the truck was in drive and unlock when you go back into park. Most of the vehicles I've had for the last couple of decades did.

mikeg

19. Sep 11, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    JoCoQS

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Jeep Cherokee
    mgratton,

I would prefer if my locks locked in Drive and unlocked in Park over what they do now. Very poor feature in the usability category in my opinion. And since I worked in a Human-Machine Interface (usability) job for 3 years I think I know a little something about it.

20. Sep 13, 2013 at 5:37 AM
    mgratton

mgratton Yoda fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    Yes, the Tacoma is a good truck but Toyota did drop the ball on some minor features that are common in many vehicles these days such as auto locks and automatic headlights.

mikeg

Products Discussed in

To Top