1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'm installing a new clutch kit in my '96 4x4

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by 4bnbad, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Feb 5, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    4bnbad

4bnbad [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Bullhead City
    Vehicle:
    1996 tacoma 4x4 v-6
    17" rims lifted flamed shell
    Is any one aware of a new lubricate for my 5 speed & transfer case? I've never changed this oil only checked for full. Now that these two assemblies will be sitting on my garage floor I thought a good time to drain & install some trick synthetic oil? Thoughts please.
    BTW, THE ORIGINAL CLUTCH WENT 170,000 MILES. That's why I keep buying Tacomas. Thanks for your input. Bill simper fi Bullhead City AZ.

2. Feb 21, 2012 at 8:11 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    No expert, but have a 95 v6 4x4 I just changed the fluids on. No big deal to do.

I read extensively and there were a few choices out there. I used Mobil 1 75w/90 GL5 in the transfer case. Decent price for synthetic and easy to find at the local auto store. Used the same in the rear diff and front diff.

In my owner's manual (may have changed for yours) it says to use only GL4 in the gearbox. Other's posted that later it says you can use GL4 or GL5 gear oil. To be safe I went with GL4 synthetic. From what I read, GL5 may have additives that will eat softer pieces in some gearboxes (guess any bronze or copper etc.) so to be safe I went with the GL4.

After reading quite a bit and for local availability, I went with Redline MT-90 gear lube. It was the correct weight, GL4 and many said how good it was. I went to the Redline website and went to the area that allows you to search for local dealers. That is how I found mine locally. Think I paid $12.99 a quart for it which is very comparable to other synthetics.

The Redline I got came in quart bottles and you need one of those cheapo pumps to fill the gearbox. I needed one anyway for the front diff so got one for $8 at O'Reilly autoparts that does both quart bottles and gallons.

Review wise of them since they have been in. Well, can't really say on the diffs as did not have any noise etc. from them to start with. Just nice to have a new and good oil in there as the old stuff was pretty dark.

Gearbox wise with the Redline it seems the shifts are a bit smoother. Used to be a bit sticky going into gear, but now seems to just notch right into gear. Pretty smooth and (my box has 241,000 plus miles on with not the best care previious owners perhaps) has quietened down the box a lot too.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Cheers

3. Feb 21, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    Stubbs95tacoma

Stubbs95tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Wichita
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    6 Inch Lift
    we have the same truck... :cool: I hope it isnt grey

4. Feb 21, 2012 at 8:20 AM
    davidpick

davidpick NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    Weber 32/36, RV Cam, LCE exhaust headers, Desmogged
    redline mt-90 is my recommendation as well. put it in my 2000 tacoma 4x4 manual transmission and really liked the performance.

5. Feb 22, 2012 at 4:53 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Stubbs95tacoma:
    Another survivor truck then. Seems like all I hear is about another early one getting crushed due to frame recall etc. Can’t imagine how many are probably left now.
    "we have the same truck... [​IMG]I hope it isnt grey"
    Nope it’s white with the grey/blue interior. Would have maybe liked a different colour than white, but then I’ve grown to like it as it tends to hide the loads of door dings on it lol. Guess really only downside to the colour so far is I wish they still made a spray touch up paint for the 045 code. Custom cans are so expensive! Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack 4bnbad, and we now resume regular programming……:)

6. Feb 22, 2012 at 8:18 AM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    I just got mine in Nov., and since its so cold up here I have a garage do a standard lube service on it till it warms up, since I don't drive alot right now, but when it warms up I am going to change it all out with redline. I ran redline in my stang 5spd for many years and it always shifted smooth! esp at stoplights. and i could tell a big differance after i switched.

7. Feb 22, 2012 at 8:21 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
  8. Feb 23, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    4bnbad

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Bullhead City
    Vehicle:
    1996 tacoma 4x4 v-6
    You must have some very large Metric allen head 1/2" drive socKets like 12mm to remove drain plug. I bought at AUTO ZONE $14++

9. Feb 23, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    4bnbad

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Bullhead City
    Vehicle:
    1996 tacoma 4x4 v-6
    NO PROBLEM, I wasn't sure how to extract pilot bearing in the end of crank shaft. you tube that, very ingenious guy pumps full of wheel bearing grease that uses a 3/8" extension & hammer the grease won't compress so bearing pops out you just gotta see it I'll let you know how it works.

10. Feb 23, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    4bnbad

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Bullhead City
    Vehicle:
    1996 tacoma 4x4 v-6
    I bought my '96 in Durango Co in '96 stock tOYOTA PURPLE PEARL RARELY SEE THIS COLOR ordinary light grey cloth still looking good repaint once about to do again clear coat peeling now.

11. Feb 24, 2012 at 4:38 AM
    hetkind

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I have a blind bearing/bushing puller on a slide hammer, and it does a FAST job on pilot bearings. I really got it to change "lifetime sealed" front wheel bearings on my BMW motorcycles however.

The grease trick work IF you have the right drift to match the input shaft diameter. A small lathe would be helpful there...

Howard

12. Feb 25, 2012 at 6:15 AM
    4bnbad

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Bullhead City
    Vehicle:
    1996 tacoma 4x4 v-6
    Howard, I've never seen the correct tool for this task so I was very impressed by the lads resoucefulness. Where did you buy this tool you have? "blind bushing puller never even heard of this tool but it's obviously needed from time to time.

13. Feb 27, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    hetkind

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    try www.tooltopia.com and look for blind puller kit, the OTC brand is one of the best.

Howard

14. Feb 27, 2012 at 10:16 AM
    hetkind

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    Here try this line for the puller...one of my passions is restoring and maintaining classic BMW motorcycles and vintage Dodge trucks, so we have three 80's vintage BMW airheads, and three 60's vintage Dodge Trucks, a Town Wagon, a M37 Military Power Wagon and a 68 Dodge D100 short bed utiline pickup, with holley, headers, glass packs and stage 1 manifold.

The right tools make a terrible job into a pleasant afternoon in the shop.

http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-4581.aspx

15. Feb 28, 2012 at 5:08 AM
    4bnbad

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Bullhead City
    Vehicle:
    1996 tacoma 4x4 v-6
    wow that tool is over $200 I think I'll do with the grease plan, thanks for tip I thought I was aware of most tools my budget is in stress as it is this isn't possible at this time.

16. Feb 28, 2012 at 8:12 AM
    hetkind

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    I think actual price is in the $129 range, it has already paid for itself...you can get a dedicated pilot bearing puller, just a small internal puller for under $20 at the flap.

17. Feb 28, 2012 at 8:15 AM
    davidpick

davidpick NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    Weber 32/36, RV Cam, LCE exhaust headers, Desmogged
    i picked up a blind bearing puller kit from harbor freight for $60. used it for my motorcycle wheel bearings and had all four out in under 10 minutes. might be worth checking out. make sure the ID sizes will work.

18. Feb 29, 2012 at 5:21 AM
    4bnbad

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Bullhead City
    Vehicle:
    1996 tacoma 4x4 v-6
    David, Thanks for tip Harbor freight comes through again.
    I clicked on the link a member sent me and the price from link was $201.00
    I thought well how often you going to use that thing Bill Nope not today but your info in sweet thanks for help.

19. Mar 1, 2012 at 3:14 PM
    Dustrider

Dustrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hillsboro Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 4x4 2.7
    are you getting a new flywheel ? or just sanding the old one in place

20. Mar 2, 2012 at 6:05 AM
    4bnbad

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Bullhead City
    Vehicle:
    1996 tacoma 4x4 v-6
    i'VE NEVER ABUSED THIS 4X4 SO I DON'T ANTICIPATE NEEDING A LATH TURNING TO CLEAN UP BUT WILL IF I'M WRONG TOO MUCH WORK TO HAVE TO DO TWICE.
    i BOUGHT A TRANS JACK FROM HARBOR FREIGHT. i CHANGED OUT A 4L60E WITH THIS $92.00 JACK SWEET ONE MAN JOB.
    My buddy that usually helps me too busy I'm gonna have to do this one myself
    I only have one arm that actually works may be a challenge. Bill
    airplane crash. broke back messed up the brain.

Products Discussed in

To Top