1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Water pump problems?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by lefthand6, May 14, 2012.

1. May 14, 2012 at 12:16 PM
    lefthand6

lefthand6 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mal
    Seattle/North Bend/Snoqualmie Valley
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner V6
    Hey y'all. So, I bought a 98 V6 prerunner a few months ago, with 175xxxish miles on it. A few weeks ago, I started noticing a strange rattling or grinding sound coming from the belts and pulleys. I took it to a family friend who's a GMC tech, and he seemed to think the noise was probably the water pump, but couldn't be sure without totally taking it apart, plus he said he doesn't deal much with toyotas cause he works at a cadillac dealership. He told me to keep an eye on the noise, and watch the coolant level and any leaks that i might notice in the mornings. Well, everything was seeming alright until last week, and suddenly I start noticing some leaks in the mornings when I first go out to the truck. After a few days, the leak starts getting worse, and I notice my coolant reservoir has dropped to about only half an inch. Buy some coolant, fill it back up, and start setting up appointments to get the water pump replaced. Today, the leak has gotten far worse, I've been refilling the reservoir whenever it hits about the mid point, and that's happened about 3 times in the last couple weeks (including earlier today). When I filled it up today, it's almost as if it made it worse, because now it visibly leaking pretty constantly (stopped about half hour afterwards), and left a much larger puddle. I'm taking it in tomorrow night, but still gotta use it to commute today and tomorrow. Does this sound like a bad water pump, or am I totally off? and if I make sure I keep coolant in it, should it be alright for the next couple of days?

Thanks for helping out a new jack!

2. May 14, 2012 at 11:07 PM
    CrutchfieldDarren

CrutchfieldDarren Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    Sounds like the water pump leaking from the weep hole. I had to replace the water pump on my 3.4 00 tacoma when I changed the timing belt at 125,000 mi. because of that. You should be able to see where the bottom radiator hose connects to the water pump. If the water is coming from above that hose, running down from the water pump, that's your culprit.

Be ready to replace the timing belt, and I would replace the tensioner and idler as well.

Watch for overheating if you drive it.

3. May 14, 2012 at 11:12 PM
    CrutchfieldDarren

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    Forgot to mention what could be the source of your grinding sounds. That sounds like the fan bracket/ idler aka: false water pump. Not sure if you can get that aftermarket yet? I had to get one from a pull a part/ salvage yard, this was several years ago.

Mechanic will need to isolate the source of the noise but this is could be the source of the rattling/ grinding.

Best luck!

4. May 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
  5. Jun 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    grandpajoe

grandpajoe New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Wife's truck
    I need to replace the water pump, timing belt, etc on my 03 tacoma 3.4 engine. What does it take to hold the crankshaft pulley secure enough to break the bolt loose. I have looked at the manual drawings of the SST tool. Any suggestions on how to build something that will work? Do you know the diameter and threads of the bolt holes in the pulley for attaching the holder. Thanks for any help

6. Jun 8, 2012 at 7:41 PM
    Ryanv

Ryanv Toyota Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    15 4Runner
    breaker bar on the left frame and bump the engine. DON'T let it fire or an old drive belt wraped around pully with a chain wrench and pipe work also. no need for sst

7. Jun 9, 2012 at 7:32 AM
    CrutchfieldDarren

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    I made a crank tool for my old 3.4, but didn't really need it. Pretty sure the holes are m8x1.25 or 1.5.

I would suggest an Aisin brand pump if you have time to wait on one. When I did the water pump and timing belt on mine I used my 1/2 impact and got the crank bolt loose fairly easy after removing the radiator.

Best luck!

8. Jun 9, 2012 at 10:45 AM
    koco

koco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco
    Around $26,000 worth of unleaded in the fuel tank.
    Ebay has the parts kit for like $150. Aisin (oem) water pump, idler pulleys, and mitsuboshi (oem) timing belt. Just add a Kuzeh thermostat, fipg gasket maker, toyota red coolant and some labor.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top