1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steer me straight - Please

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Nick54, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Jan 12, 2013 at 8:57 PM
    Nick54

Nick54 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...

After wheeling I noticed my steering wheel was off center to the left so Itook it in for an alignment to find out that my toe had changed. There were nodamaged parts, nothing broken - where and how did the change occur? What are your thoughts?

2. Jan 12, 2013 at 9:18 PM
    Jeffvt0508

Jeffvt0508 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4x4 trd offroad
    Ome 887s, dakars, lr uca,sliders, konig countersteer,
    X2

3. Jan 12, 2013 at 9:30 PM
    SalemCBR

SalemCBR Oregon's #2 TW rep

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Elock PreR
    Deck plate, all time auxillary, black billet, xeon bulbs, sockmonkey decals, and lots of back to black.
    Mine's off too now :(

4. Jan 12, 2013 at 9:34 PM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    you just knocked something off, no biggie, as long as nothing is bent or broken, but, you may want to think about whatever you hit to do that, and maybe try to avoid doing that again

5. Jan 12, 2013 at 10:07 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...

As you may have noticed, I'm from Ohio- not exactly the wheeling capitol of the good ole US of A. I have yet been able to find a shop that is willing to learn how to adjust camber with Light Racing UCA's. Well I did have a Firestone Lifetime Alignment and due in part to their stubbornness’, not willing to listen to even the techs at Specialty Products, they refunded my money and sent me on my way.

Nevertheless, I'm just interested in understanding where the change in geometry takes place when no parts are damaged.

6. Jan 12, 2013 at 10:39 PM
    koco

koco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco
    Around $26,000 worth of unleaded in the fuel tank.
    The threaded part of the tie rod could have slipped; it is adjustable.

I had one of those "lifetime" alignments. Eventually, they will find a way to get rid of you.

7. Jan 12, 2013 at 10:44 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Are all the alignment cams on the lower control arm mounts still in the same place?

8. Jan 12, 2013 at 10:47 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Ya cams are good, no broken tabs no caster adjustment needed.

Well according to the alignment tech, toe was the only adjustment needed.

9. Jan 12, 2013 at 10:49 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Pretty strange then.

I hope the steering shaft didn't jump a spline tooth... When the rack is centered, is the steering wheel centered?

10. Jan 12, 2013 at 11:07 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I don't know the answer to that however if it were, would it have been corrected after the alignment? If not, I will check tomorrow.

Products Discussed in

To Top