1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

K&N Cold air intake - Has anyone actually experienced prolonged issues?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Toyota Tacoma, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Jan 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Toyota Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Suspension: -Bilistien 5100's all around -Add a leaf -Firestone ride rite air bags Performance: -K&N cold air -Borla cat back Stereo: -Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit -Kenwood 1400 shallow mount 12'' sub in custom box -Alpine 1100 amp -Alpine 400 4 channel -4 energy component 6.5's Wheels/tires: -17x9 with 4.5 backspacing XD hoss rims with 33'' bfTreadwright gaurd dogs and spidertrax spacers Looks: -Satoshi grille made by myself -Hood, front bumper, grille, roof, tailgate and rear bumper plasti-dipped. -BHLM -eyelids -matted out tailights -Tacoma bed mat Small mods : -Trailer 7 pin replaced and moved into bumper beside licence plate -Removed mud flaps -Repainted frame/lower a-arms, skid and rear diff/housing with por15 -Led bulbs -Interior lights replaced with blue led's -Beep on lock added
    I have been researching the k&n cold air lately and keep coming upon these threads and statements assuring everyone they are no good and will cause harm.

I nor agree or disagree with these statements and accusations but.....

Has anyone had problems proven to be associated with the filter ? Increased oil consumption, low compression, scored cylinder walls etc? :confused:

Iv seen charts on silicon levels and such but is it enough to actually cause harm during average use?

I know the oil will gum up the MAF from time to time but its an easy fix with electronic cleaner spray.

Thanks!

2. Jan 15, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    Super Black Taco

Super Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grayson
    Redwood valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD SPORT 4x4
    OME 885 1/4 spacers,Dakars, 3* shims,Light Racing UCA BHLM,Wicked Flow Muffler, JL sub, Alpine amp, URD Short Throw Kit, U-Bolt Flip kit, 285/70/17 hankook mt
    I had it for 3 years or so. Never had a problem.

3. Jan 15, 2013 at 6:45 PM
    Johnsredline

Johnsredline Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Las Vegas
    Barcelona Red- Method Double Standards, Flowmaster Exhaust, K&N intake, black headlights and raptor style grille, ICON stage 4 suspension, allpro sliders
    I've ran a K&N for a year now and havent had any issues. The tube is dust free, MAF is clean, and it runs like a champ.

I honestly think all the bad talk of the K&N intakes is from people who improperly oil their filters. K&N has been around a long time and doesnt seem like they have issues in other filters (quads, dirtbikes, go-karts, etc).

4. Jan 15, 2013 at 6:53 PM
    Jeffvt0508

Jeffvt0508 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB 4x4 trd offroad
    Ome 887s, dakars, lr uca,sliders, konig countersteer,
    I ran K&N for 4 yrs on my old truck never had a problem.. installed on my 2010.. and less than 10k and my MAF was messed up.. K&N at fault? I can't say for sure.. but I did remove it..and saw that my charcoal filter was soaked in oil.. ( I never recharged it prior to this date was brand new..)

5. Jan 16, 2013 at 5:19 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Toyota Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Suspension: -Bilistien 5100's all around -Add a leaf -Firestone ride rite air bags Performance: -K&N cold air -Borla cat back Stereo: -Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit -Kenwood 1400 shallow mount 12'' sub in custom box -Alpine 1100 amp -Alpine 400 4 channel -4 energy component 6.5's Wheels/tires: -17x9 with 4.5 backspacing XD hoss rims with 33'' bfTreadwright gaurd dogs and spidertrax spacers Looks: -Satoshi grille made by myself -Hood, front bumper, grille, roof, tailgate and rear bumper plasti-dipped. -BHLM -eyelids -matted out tailights -Tacoma bed mat Small mods : -Trailer 7 pin replaced and moved into bumper beside licence plate -Removed mud flaps -Repainted frame/lower a-arms, skid and rear diff/housing with por15 -Led bulbs -Interior lights replaced with blue led's -Beep on lock added
    Yea the MAF is the only issue I have seen directly related to the CAI and it only takes 10 minutes to clean.

Products Discussed in

To Top