1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oils

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Drew C, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Jan 21, 2013 at 7:13 AM
    Drew C

Drew C [OP] Member

Member:
    Sorry, I know this has been discussed a million times but I figured what the heck...

I have been doing my own oil changes for a while on my tacoma (2010 TRD Sport), using one of the Mobil synthetics (I get what walmart has when I go, last time it was the extended performance). Lately, for some reason I have a hair up my butt to try amsoil. Don't know why, probably the search for something better (eventhough what I'm currently using is just as good). So, the questions - any real difference between the two? Does anyone do longer intervals between changes? Doesn't seem to make sense to pay the extra $$$ and not increase the service interval, might as well stay with Mobil. Also, what about amsoils differential fluids, any better than mobil syns (to justify the price)?

PS - i did use the search function, did find some helpful stuff.

IMG_0346.jpg

2. Jan 21, 2013 at 7:19 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You need to do oil analysis in order to extend your intervals no matter what oil you use. You can work with a place like Blackstone Labs to analyze a sample to start and see how the oil/engine is holding up. Then you can decide from there if you want to leave oil in there.

There are a few folks who are running Amsoil w/ the Amsoil filter set up and they leave it for a long time.

3. Jan 21, 2013 at 11:42 AM
    Drew C

Drew C [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks for the reply. I checked out Blackstone and ordered their kit. Will check it when I'm about to change it next time.

Products Discussed in

To Top