1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Axle Blown. Cost of repair?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Mr. Biscuits, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Feb 2, 2013 at 3:30 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Mr. Biscuits [OP] gentleman and a scholar

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    okay so I've had a feeling something just wasn't right with the rear axle. took it to the shop to have a look see and sure enough there was fluid dripping from both rear drums, mechanic said basically the whole axle would have to go, save the housing; bearings, shafts, drums, seals. today being Saturday the part shop wasn't open so he'll call me Monday with an estimate.

my questions are how much should this entire repair cost me? how "safe" is it to drive with this issue? is there any upgrade I might as well get while these parts are being replaced? is there any DIY that might curb what I assume to be a costly repair?

2. Feb 2, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    Ryanv

Ryanv Toyota Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    15 4Runner
    If the axle seals are done you need new seals bearings o-rings, and shoes not sure of parts price in the us. Labour should be around 5-6hrs. I wouldn't drive too far like that, oil and brakes are a bad combo

3. Feb 2, 2013 at 4:12 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I always balk when someone say you need to replace everything save the housing. I have only once seen an axle shaft that needed to be replaced in a Tacoma once. Is there a noise? Or just leaking?

4. Feb 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM
    Ryanv

Ryanv Toyota Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    15 4Runner
    I've seen a few axle shaft that have needed to be replaced when doing axle seals, axles were fine when they came out of the truck tho.

5. Feb 2, 2013 at 4:16 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    If it's just leaking at the backing plates you probably just need new axle seals and diff fluid change.

6. Feb 2, 2013 at 4:16 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    put in new bearings and seals and brake shoes. good to go I would think.

7. Feb 2, 2013 at 4:17 PM
    Ryanv

Ryanv Toyota Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    15 4Runner
    Also unblock you vent

8. Feb 2, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    If the outer seal is leaking, this is what's needed.

9. Feb 2, 2013 at 4:26 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Find another shop (one that doesn't want to screw you) I'd see if a High School shop class couldn't help you out.

10. Feb 2, 2013 at 5:12 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    - OME suspension - Custom front/rear tube bumpers - 33x12.5r15 BFG KOs - Deckplate mod + AFE reusable filter - Aero Turbine 2525 exhaust, chopped before leaf spring - Toyota Horns emblem by Diaz Fabrication - Pioneer stereo and new speakers + 10" sub - camper shell
    I have a mysterious squeal that loves to pop up and disappear at random... as well as the emergency brake light coming on under heavy acceleration and off once cruise speed has been achieved (don't know if it's related)

11. Feb 2, 2013 at 5:13 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    enjoying the feedback! keep em coming. thank you :D

12. Feb 2, 2013 at 5:22 PM
    Ryanv

Ryanv Toyota Technician

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    15 4Runner
    Check your brake fluid level, for the squeal is it when breaking, certain speed, front of vehicle or rear?

13. Feb 3, 2013 at 10:12 AM
    Mr. Biscuits

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    not a specific speed just 5+. and it's from the rear...passenger? I don't know it's hard to listen to something from the cab. I think it's either the carrier bearing or axle bearings. no amount of braking, accelerating, or high revving affects the squealing once it pops up. it just sticks until I stop moving or it decides it has bothered me enough for the day. that being said I'm not closed to the chance it is the brakes, only that braking doesn't affect it

14. Feb 3, 2013 at 9:01 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Having rear brake shoes soaked in axle fluid from a leaking seal will cause said noise. Very common. As for your brake warning light, that could be coming from several things. I would first check to be sure your brake fluid level is correct.

15. Feb 3, 2013 at 9:46 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I had not heard of oiled shoes causing a noise. But I don't wrench for a living either (not on cars anyway).

OP, I would get a second opinion. "Everything but the housing" scares me. Brake drums rarely get replaced unless they have grooves worn into them or are so out of round they can't be turned true.

From what BamaToy is saying (he should know), you may just need new axle seals.

On most Toyotas, there are two things that will turn the brake light on: low fluid level, and the parking brake handle. I've had the light act like you describe, all that was needed was a bit of fluid.

16. Feb 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    I've had the seals replaced twice and they used different brands to make sure the first one wasn't just shotty design. taking it in tomorrow to another shop to get a second opinion. sounds to me like I have low fluid! because I'm obviously not pulling the handle :eek:

17. Feb 4, 2013 at 5:51 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Make sure they check for a clogged axle breather. It's happened to me on an older Toyota truck. I lost an axle seal that way.

18. Feb 4, 2013 at 7:30 PM
    Mr. Biscuits

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    I did get buried to the frame in mud once....guessing it might have clogged up the breather. I guess I should do the breather extender mod after this is all over?

19. Feb 8, 2013 at 9:53 AM
    Mr. Biscuits

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennen
    Eugene, OR
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner TRD V6
    update, not that anyone cares, but I figured I'd let you guys know that YOU (love this site) were correct as it was only bearings and seals. differential fluid was surprisingly clean. all fixed.
    so thank you!

20. Feb 8, 2013 at 1:13 PM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    ^This.