Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Technical Chat (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/)
-   -   Problem with ABS (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/263751-problem-abs.html)

lookitsBRYAN757 02-17-2013 08:15 AM

Problem with ABS
 
So on Monday I took my 07 taco to the dealership where I bought it and where my warranty is. I'm getting ready to go on a long drive and wanted to get an oil change and alignment. They then found a bad wheel bearing. So they replaced the bearing and hub. Upon test driving it after the repair they noticed the ABS light was on. The only light that's ever came on is the maint reqd light. So they take it over to the Toyota dealership and they can't get any communication between the scanner and the ecu. They're saying they might have to replace the whole ecu. Has this happened to anyone else?

Tacoma Mike 02-17-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookitsBRYAN757 (Post 6453253)
So on Monday I took my 07 taco to the dealership where I bought it and where my warranty is. I'm getting ready to go on a long drive and wanted to get an oil change and alignment. They then found a bad wheel bearing. So they replaced the bearing and hub. Upon test driving it after the repair they noticed the ABS light was on. The only light that's ever came on is the maint reqd light. So they take it over to the Toyota dealership and they can't get any communication between the scanner and the ecu. They're saying they might have to replace the whole ecu. Has this happened to anyone else?

Could have stretched the sensor wire or damaged the tip.
As far as not reading the ecu, it does happen however, we have been having a few issues with connecting to them from time to time. I have had to reboot the scan tool and then it would read. I doubt if you have an ecu problem after a bearing replacement and THEN an abs lamp on.

IgnorantlyAlberta 02-17-2013 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They probably messed up the abs sensor when replacing the bearing. I did this when i replaced mine.
Attachment 196283
Fragile, expensive little bastard.

lookitsBRYAN757 02-18-2013 01:30 AM

Yeah I hope it's nothing to serious I just want my truck back they got me in a yaris :/ thanks for the info

650H1 02-18-2013 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookitsBRYAN757 (Post 6457359)
Yeah I hope it's nothing to serious I just want my truck back they got me in a yaris :/ thanks for the info

thats like a street legal go cart dude... fun cars to hammer the fuck out of, especially when its not yours :p

lookitsBRYAN757 02-20-2013 04:27 AM

Yeah not when the thing takes two years to get up to 80

lookitsBRYAN757 02-21-2013 04:34 PM

So if anyone was wondering what was going on today I was told that the speed sensor on the same wheel bearing and hub that the first dealership worked on the wire was pulled and snapped but they don't see and connection between that wire being pulled to the other two wires that were supposedly "cut."

IgnorantlyAlberta 02-21-2013 05:52 PM

That sucks.
Sabotage??
Where was your vehicle being serviced before this issue?
It sucks cause when a bearing goes you can bet the sensor will be done as well so its an extra cost.
However when you have someone cutting wires youve got other problems.

lookitsBRYAN757 02-22-2013 05:55 AM

I took it to the dealership that i bought it and i have a warranty. And I really can't do anything about it because the shop that I got my radio installed at went out of business and I can't find the receipt anywhere. But they're trying to tell me that those wires being cut had nothing to do with the lights coming on. So basically what I feel like is when I've brought my truck in before that this wasn't there before. I got that radio installed the very next day after I bought the truck.

BamaToy1997 02-22-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IgnorantlyAlberta (Post 6478329)
That sucks.
Sabotage??
Where was your vehicle being serviced before this issue?
It sucks cause when a bearing goes you can bet the sensor will be done as well so its an extra cost.
However when you have someone cutting wires youve got other problems.

ABS sensors are typically only replaced when they fail, due to the high cost. I have never worked in a shop where the sensor was replaced with the bearing, unless if was a complete unit. Too expensive otherwise.

lookitsBRYAN757 02-22-2013 06:11 PM

Yeah so now they said it is the reductor. They have to now do everything over including the bearing and hub, speed sensor and reductor...

IgnorantlyAlberta 02-23-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 (Post 6481263)
ABS sensors are typically only replaced when they fail, due to the high cost. I have never worked in a shop where the sensor was replaced with the bearing, unless if was a complete unit. Too expensive otherwise.

Just what Ive seen with both my bearings.
One shit the bed and destroyed the sensor and I believe the other was wrecked from excessive heat. Either way when I had to replace the bearings the sensors were done too.

BamaToy1997 02-23-2013 07:43 AM

I believe the term they should have told you was the reluctor, not the inductor. I assume they will be doing all of this at no additional cost to you?

lookitsBRYAN757 02-23-2013 08:25 AM

Yes reluctor stupid auto correct. But yeah they are doing it all over again at no charge to me.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:25 AM.