1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stainless Steel Brake lines vs longer OEM style replacements

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Enders Taco, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Feb 21, 2013 at 11:13 AM
    Enders Taco

Enders Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Hampton Roads VA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4x4 6SP
    All Pro APEX Front Bumper, All Pro Sliders, Icon Coilovers with rear shocks and add a leaf pack, URD short shifter, Pioneer X930BT Nav with Polk speakers
    I'm buying a set of AP expo springs and have been told I need to do something with the rear brake lines. My first thought was get some nice SS ones. However, I really didn't know alot about them so I started reading up. I did NOT like what I read.

1) Hard to inspect for wear
    2) need to be REPLACED every 18-24 months
    3) primary issues are cheap(ly fitted) fittings that allow dirt to get between the metal outer and the Teflon tube inner
    4) commonly fail on sport sedan applications.

So, I got to thinking. Given where the lines are in my truck, I'm pretty sure if I took something bad enough to damage/destroy my OEM lines from between the top of the axle and the undercarriage of the truck, that it would still damage the SS lines too. I like to wheel. I am not a hard core rock crawler, desert runner or baja racer. I am left thinking that the sensible choice would be to get longer OEM style brake lines instead of the SS ones. Am I missing something? :confused:

(and yes I searched first. All I found were comments on installation and very few on the tech aspect of benefits) :cool:

2. Feb 21, 2013 at 11:28 AM
    EDJY

EDJY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR MT
    I always found improvement in motorcycles and atvs when I switched to SS lines. I don't know if you can find stock extended length lines, but we all know those work very well and hold up with normal use. Might as well go with the proven method. Car brakes are a little more important than my dirt bikes.

3. Feb 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Wasn't aware of them needing to be swapped every 2 years.......where did u find the info at?

Just curious, because nobody ever gave me a heads up when I bought and had em installed 3yrs ago.....or, 4yrs ago.

mahaloTaco likes this.
  4. Feb 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.
    I don't know if it's ever really a necessary item rather than a nice to have. A lot of people claim better pedal feel/stiffer brakes since the stainless shouldn't expand as much though I don't think a stock brake line that's still serviceable is going to expand that much since they are engineering for the application. I personally didn't notice a huge difference but for $100 with the Goodridge group buy on here I figured why not.

As far as the replacement on SS I couldn't tell you yes or no but even rubber lines need replacing at a certain point. Maybe flushing the fluid a little more often to keep less moisture in the lines would help but I'm not sure, never seen anything about a replacement interval like that.

I was also wondering about this.

5. Feb 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    TherealScuba

TherealScuba Sober Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    99 Single Cab 4x4
    I've never heard of the SS lines needing to be replaced except from a random failure.

I've had my rear SS line for about 4 years now. Never had an issue.

As long as you flush your brakes every 30K like recommended you will be fine.

Out of the thousands of people I know running them I have never heard any downfalls to them. Most are DOT rated (ours are).

6. Feb 23, 2013 at 8:10 AM
    Enders Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Hampton Roads VA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4x4 6SP
    All Pro APEX Front Bumper, All Pro Sliders, Icon Coilovers with rear shocks and add a leaf pack, URD short shifter, Pioneer X930BT Nav with Polk speakers
    There wasn't a lot of info it there on them except on car forums. Read one huge post from a NSX guy who posted about a failure. Another Honda guy posted that his wife had a failure, with sporadic mentions of failures on scion, Miata, VW, Porsche, and a variety of other forums. Except for the Honda guy it was all failures at the fittings or the connections. The Honda guy was a line rupture.

The prescribed remedy is periodic replacement at a shorter service interval than the OEM part. I'd rather not have a random failure with my daughter in the truck, or when I need them on a trail.

Perhaps I'm over thinking this.

7. Feb 23, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    BrewDawg

BrewDawg Active Member

Member:
    costal and rocky mountains Canada
    Vehicle:
    silver streak access
    dude really? your talking like your on the highway with a plug in the sidewall good god bleed that beautifull ss line and roll proud! change those pads on a regular basis ya

8. Feb 27, 2013 at 5:40 AM
    Enders Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Hampton Roads VA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4x4 6SP
    For others wondering, I checked around for anyone that makes OEM style brake lines in different lengths and was unable to find ANYONE. Factory makes them and ships them. So, instead of trial and error, I just ordered the SS ones.

mahaloTaco likes this.
  9. Feb 27, 2013 at 7:08 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    ur gunna be fine....enjoy the truck, and enjoy all the mods, no matter how small some may be.

10. Mar 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    ^^^^ I agree with this 100%.

One of the reasons SS lines are honestly better than factory rubber lines is that the SS lines do not expand under pressure. ANY expansion under pressure means that more fluid is needed to maintain the same amount of braking force. This means more pedal. Now granted, we are talking a small amount, but it is there none the less.

11. Mar 22, 2013 at 1:24 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hmm... When I did my regear I just used vice grips to pinch off the rubber brake lines and that worked just fine. I would think if they were steel braided inside this would have ruined them...

12. Mar 22, 2013 at 3:21 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I always warn against pinching off any brake line when doing repairs. You can cause internal damage to the rubber, and premature failure. Not that it happens every time mind you, but it is a risk.

13. Mar 22, 2013 at 3:27 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah I especially don't recommend using vice grips to do that. We had a guy blow out a wheel cylinder on the trail and used a c-clamp to pinch it off so he still had brakes once. They aren't so jagged at least.

For me I will likely be going to longer brake lines anyone so longevity isn't a huge issue for me.

14. Jan 22, 2015 at 10:42 AM
    DSMJRV

DSMJRV Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Corona, CA
    Srry for this revival, but if you want a longer stock style line for the rear you can just double them up.. since it has one female end and one male it is really simple to do and will give you tons of room for travel.

15. Jan 22, 2015 at 11:07 AM
    ONEBAR

ONEBAR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Englewood, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 White TRD OR
    Its actually 2 female ends. Also at that point you might as well buy SS lines. Not sure how much stock lines are but I doubt you will be saving much money. Also extended lines are only 2-4 inches longer so doubling would be an excessive length.

16. Jan 23, 2015 at 9:53 PM
    DSMJRV

DSMJRV Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Corona, CA
    oh yeah 2nd gen, you're right..

Products Discussed in

To Top