1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Chirping Sound in my 2005 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by TacoGuy171, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Apr 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM
    TacoGuy171

TacoGuy171 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 TRD
    Hello i have a 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport SR5 4x4, 4.0L 6 Speed Transmission with 67,000 km's. I am hearing a high pitch squeak or a 'chirping' sound after a few minutes of the engine running. The thing is when i push the clutch down after about an inch or so of clutch depressing the chirp goes silent and goes away? Anyone Know what this would be and details on it? Would be much appreciated, Thanks

2. Apr 6, 2013 at 1:28 PM
    just2wd

just2wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    California
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Off Road
    throw out bearing

3. Apr 6, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    TacoGuy171

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 TRD
    How much is a throw out bearing?? Not very mechanically inclined with vehicles or trucks

4. Apr 6, 2013 at 1:36 PM
    just2wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    California
    Vehicle:
    the part is about 70 bucks..camelback Toyota parts oem

5. Apr 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM
    just2wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    California
    Vehicle:
    the transmission is going to have to be dropped to change this

6. Apr 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM
    TacoGuy171

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 TRD
    Transmission will have to be dropped so that takes some time eh like labour cost wise, dam.. was hoping it was an easy lubricant fix i could do myself but if i do that the chirp will be gone forever?

7. Apr 6, 2013 at 1:50 PM
    just2wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    California
    Vehicle:
    Labor maybe like 100 bucks don't pay too much .. when we changed mine at my house it took about 3hours

8. Apr 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM
    just2wd

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    California
    Vehicle:
    my chirping hasn't came back I bought the oem part I didn't trust after market.. from my experience don't press the clutch if you don't need to for long periods of time like at a stoplight

9. Apr 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Book time is something like 5 hours on a 4x4. Around here, going rate is now 95-100 an hour.

OP needs to read the throwout bearing thread before he makes his decision. There's a TSB/OEM approved repair, and there's an aftermarket repair. There have been positive reviews on both.

If the clutch hasn't been replaced yet, now is the time.

Throwout bearing thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/17819-throwout-bearing-again.html

10. Apr 6, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    TRD6Speed

TRD6Speed senior member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    885x with 5100s and top plate spacer for full 3", RCD extended 5100s in rear, dakars, flip kit, LR UCAs, tint, shorty antenna, in channel rain guards,BHLM, blacked out emblem, OEM side steps, weathertechs, debadged, rear diff breather
    going back on monday to try and have them "fix" it again. Dealer wouldnt put in URD kit.....I asked.

Super annoying and makes my truck sound cheap.

I had mine done about 20k ago......it will come back.

11. Apr 6, 2013 at 2:08 PM
    TacoGuy171

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 TRD
    Yeah it is super annoying and does make it sound cheap thats why its irritating me so much lol, So at 100 dollars an hour if i can find a place that cheap at 5 hours thats quite a bit to replace a 70 dollar bearing.. And for it just to come back is there a fix that will make it a permanent fix?? also joes you think i should replace my whole clutch now? I dont know when it was replaced or if it has been replaced only 66,000 km's on it but i bought it used not too long ago few months ago. Also if i dont replace it what could happen? any damage i mean?

12. Apr 6, 2013 at 2:14 PM
    TRD6Speed

TRD6Speed senior member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    885x with 5100s and top plate spacer for full 3", RCD extended 5100s in rear, dakars, flip kit, LR UCAs, tint, shorty antenna, in channel rain guards,BHLM, blacked out emblem, OEM side steps, weathertechs, debadged, rear diff breather
    I've heard good things about the URD kit.....if the dealer wont fix it under my 100,000/5yr warranty I will most likley(after cussing out the dealer) buy the URD kit and when I have my clutch done have it installed by my mechanic.

Since you are dropping the tranny and cracking it open its a good idea to do the clutch as well. If you havent had it done it prob is still the original clutch. I know mine is not original.......was done by previous owner. I wont let the dealer do the clutch cuz they wanted an obscene price.

13. Apr 6, 2013 at 2:18 PM
    TacoGuy171

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 TRD
    URD kit is the throw out bearing and other parts ? making it a permanent fix? i just want to make sure it is done right and i replace this bearing and then the chirp just comes back after a while you know, want to make sure it is good to go permanent. and yeah mine could be probably is still original but anyone know what could happen is i leave the throw out bearing squeaking like any major problems or what will happen?

14. Apr 6, 2013 at 2:32 PM
    TRD6Speed

TRD6Speed senior member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    I cant help you on the specifics of the kit....I believe tho it upgrades the sleeve or quill its called. Sorry.....i am not a super smart truck guy lol....just another guy with the same lame problem:eek:

Its my understanding the the URD solves it permantly..........while I ve heard of some people going the dealer route and being all good.......I and others have had it come right back after about 15 to 25k miles.

Im going the dealer route cuz im covered still with the extendo warranty I got......but honestly......you're prob better off getting the URD kit if you are not covered. Just my thoughts. Like I said.....if they wont do it for free....I'll be buying the URD kit or trading the fucking truck in.

as you can tell....the noise is pissing the living shit outta me :D

15. Apr 6, 2013 at 2:38 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2

Mine was replaced due to the same problem at 50K miles. Toyota changed the entire clutch. This was before the TSB, so at 64K now I am holding my breath. I think the reason they did the whole clutch is because there has been some talk of mismatching components on the trucks that have this problem. Meaning one manufacturer for the clutch cover, a different one for the bearing.

There have been pics posted of worn clutch cover/ pressure plate from the bearing vibrating against it. Another reason to at least be prepared for that possibility.

I try not to buy parts until I really need them. But if I am going to pull a transmission, or pay someone to pull a transmission, I only want it done one time.

There is more than one member on here reporting 30K miles or more put on a chirping clutch. So, it's not likely to fail completely in the short term, but it's always possible.

16. Apr 7, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    TacoGuy171

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 TRD
    Yeah trdspeed i have heard the outside sleeve or whatever it is called bell housing? Also recently read it isnt the throw out bearing that causes the problem but it is what is squeaking but it is the sleeve or bell housing that warps or cracks the throw out bearing and causes it to wobble when it is spinning i guess?Thats where the chirp comes from, So replacing just the throw out bearing after a while will come right back i guess, and TSB is that a safety recall or what does it stand for again? So if it is a TSB would toyota do it for me under warranty? Im not original owner of the truck i bought it used but usually recalls are covered no matter the owner or if you are the first owner or not,truck has 67,000 km's on it now. and joes you suggest just replacing everything while in the transmission since its out?

17. Apr 7, 2013 at 7:37 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    If I was dealing with this problem right now, I would have the TSB parts installed (bearing, clutch fork, clutch slave cylinder). If my clutch disc and pressure plate were still original, I would replace them as well.

I'm sure the aftermarket sleeve kit would work too, but I feel like Toyota has spent a lot of time and money producing the fix, and it should work just fine, and still be OEM parts, which I generally prefer. Remember, they still build this transmission, they have a good reason to want it fixed for good.

18. Apr 9, 2013 at 2:30 PM
    TRD6Speed

TRD6Speed senior member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Well I went in on monday morning at the dealer where I bought the truck. Of course the noise wasnt there when I pulled into the bay so I was worried. I saw my truck being driven around the parking lot and asked if we could go for a ride(me and a head tech). Once I got in I had him pull over and I played hiim some vids off my cell phone when the noise was really bad. He immediatley turned around and dropped me off......15 min later....tah dah! TSB parts ordered and my truck is getting fixed.

Looks like they only replaced the TOB last time but this time it appears I am getting the entire TSB done. I wll know more later this week when they call me back to schedule service. Now I gotta see if I wanna replace the plate and discs too.

Will post another update when there is one.......hoping this is the permanant fix I sought originally:cool:

19. Apr 17, 2013 at 9:24 PM
    Russeleven

Russeleven New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RW
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    06 4WD SR5 6 Spd 4.0L
    I had my truck chirp and squeak almost the entire 6 years I've owned it. I have records of 4 different warranty repairs changing belts, idler pulleys, belt tensioner, nothing solved it. My theory, Toyota knew the clutch bearing was the problem and didn't want to spend the money on this expensive repair. The mechanic I took it to this morning diagnosed the problem in about 2 seconds, albeit he's old school and pushing 70. The noise came back with a vengeance when I moved back to Utah, and it was downright embarrassing watching people turn their heads and it wasn't to check out how cool I am! :rolleyes: I found TSB T-SB-0365-10 and see the clutch bearing kit has been expanded to the 2005-2012's (T-SB-0186-12) as well. I just bought a new clutch kit and finally found this was addressed by Toyota after years of this annoying squeak. It goes away when the clutch is replaced so this is finally the answer, I absolutely love my truck and fixing this would be incredible. I hope my shifting between 1st and 2nd gear improves, it really was grabby, and it makes sense if the clutch bearing wasn't releasing properly. Allso at higher RPMs shifting to 3rd when cold would result in a grind, I'd have to let the RPMs go down before going into 3rd. I also have a helluva time putting it in gear, especially reverse on a cold morning. Sadly I have 112,000 miles. I'm at least going to try and get the parts given to me, they'll probably tell me to take a hike but I'm going to try. I don't want them to do the work because I want the whole clutch assembly replaced based on my mileage and not wanting to mess with this for another 100,000. I'll let you know what happens and the result of the new clutch after this weekend I hope!

20. Apr 18, 2013 at 6:26 AM
    hladun

hladun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma

Products Discussed in

To Top