Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Technical Chat (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/)
-   -   Fix for Squeaking Clutch (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/272427-fix-squeaking-clutch.html)

hladun 04-09-2013 09:53 AM

Fix for Squeaking Clutch

I have made a modification that stopped the squeak on my 08 clutch.

First the disclaimer. This will fix the squeak (noise) that stops when the clutch is slightly depressed. This will not cure a damaged TO bearing or transmission input tube, but I think it will prevent these failures from happening in the long run. If you do a lot of towing you might not want to do this because the fix reduces the clamp pressure of the clutch.

You need to get a mid 90's clutch MASTER cylinder from an F150. Inside you'll find a spring and collar. Remove and disassemble your slave cylinder and replace the spring with the F150 spring and collar. The collar fits on the peg of the piston that had the Toyota spring on it. It will be a bit of a struggle to reinstall the slave cylinder because the spring pre-loads the TO bearing.

The spring you need should be about 3" long, 5/8" ID with a rate of 5 to 7 lbs/in.

Many other vehicles (my experience with Porsche, Jaguar, Volvo, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, and Ford) have pre-loaded TO bearings and I've never had squeak problems with their clutches. Bearings don't like to run lose and/or slipping.

romafern 01-10-2014 11:27 AM

Got video?

hladun 01-10-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by romafern (Post 7986324)
Got video?

No video, but when you get the Toyota slave cylinder apart it's pretty obvious.

P.S. I did this about 2 years ago and to date no squeak and no problems.

gearcruncher 01-10-2014 03:21 PM

I like your fix . Hope it lasts forever but i doubt it .
Your spring upgrade shouldnt reduce plate loading . The release bearing is constant design meaning it always turns but your pressure plate is responsible for the clamping force between the friction disc and flywheel . unless the total travel of the release bearing has changed ?

EDIT : After reading the FSM , I retract what I mentioned here as I wasnt aware at the time .
The release bearing is designed as NON constant . The Tacoma does not use a self adjusting clutch.
Feel free to pm me even if you dont trust me:D

hladun 01-10-2014 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearcruncher (Post 7987662)
I like your fix . Hope it lasts forever .
Your spring upgrade shouldnt reduce plate loading . The release bearing is constant design meaning it always turns but your pressure plate is responsible for the clamping force between the friction disc and flywheel . unless the total travel of the release bearing has changed ?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. The total travel of the release lever (release bearing) is unchanged. All that happens with the stronger spring is there is sufficient force on the release bearing to keep it turning with the pressure plate fingers without slipping/vibrating/chattering when the clutch is released (pedal up).

hladun 06-21-2014 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of the fix. This is the slave cylinder and its internals. You replace the weaker spring (upper in photo) with a stronger one that I described (lower in photo). The Ford collar I talk about fits the new spring to the green piston. That's it problem solved!