1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dehydrator Issue? 2012 Supercharged TX PRO

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by MJ slasher, May 6, 2013.

1. May 6, 2013 at 7:23 AM
    MJ slasher

MJ slasher [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    Dallas, TX (Princeton)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX PRO Supercharged
    20% tint all around, Bug Shield, painted (Not dipped) badges, roof rack, step tubes. TRD Supercharger
    I need some help.
    Yesterday my 5 year old son was playing around the front of my Tacoma, he said "Daddy your truck is making a weird noise" I walked over to check, what I heard was the piece in front of my radiator, looks like a black spray can and has a hose connected to it. It was humming, like there was power running to it. The funny thing is, there was no key in the ignition.

I started to get worried. I started the truck really quick and shut it down. The noise was gone.

Next I turned the key on, the noise was heard with power to the truck, I figure thats normal. With the key on it there is also a sound of water or coolant moving non stop, never ends, through the hoses on the driver side, near the front corner of the engine. Maybe that water sound is normal?

Regardless I know the humming was coming from this Dehydrator. I went as far as to disconnect it, unplugging its wiring connection, turned the key on and and no hum. Im sure the humming is normal with the key turned on but why would it have been stuck, making noise without a key in the ignition at all?

ANy ideas why a truck without the key turned on would have power to this Dehydrator, I think thats what its called.

This is a new truck. 12,000 miles. Supercharger installed by Toyota at 5,000 miles.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  2. May 6, 2013 at 7:37 AM
    KingKoda

KingKoda Never Satisfied

Member:
    Palmetto
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD.S DCSB 4x4
    Boosted TRD/URD All Terrain Sleeper w/ Sockmonkey Decals Worth +666HP
    Normal, at least I am 99% sure because I am supercharged and my truck makes weird electric pump noises and it sounds like coolant circulating long after I have turned it off. It's random, sometimes it will come on about 5 min after I shut the engine off and sometimes I'll head to the garage to grab a drink hours afterwards and hear it on or hear it come on and run for about 3-5 minutes.

I used to worry about it - now I don't anymore. Very noticeable in a quiet garage. Less than 11K on my odometer, supercharger installed before 10 miles on truck. I like to think of it as my truck snoring while taking a nap.

3. May 6, 2013 at 7:41 AM
    jester156

jester156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumberland, RI
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4. 3.0l Duramax
    its because the radiator pump is tapped into the emissions fuse in the box which runs a pressure test on the fuel system every so many hours. There is a fix out there to use a different source of power but I have not looked too deeply into it.
    the only downside is if the truck sits for a long them the battery may begin to drain

4. May 6, 2013 at 7:43 AM
    MJ slasher

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    Dallas, TX (Princeton)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX PRO Supercharged
    20% tint all around, Bug Shield, painted (Not dipped) badges, roof rack, step tubes. TRD Supercharger

What about the humming of the Dehydrator without a key in the ignition? You ever heard that? My truck had been parked and turned off for hours when my kid noticed it was humming.

5. May 6, 2013 at 7:44 AM
    MJ slasher

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    Dallas, TX (Princeton)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX PRO Supercharged

Jesus, what a shit design. Sorry, just saying. It will for sure drain the battery.
    Does this happen with all Taco's, or is it because I have a Supercharger?

6. May 6, 2013 at 7:47 AM
    KingKoda

KingKoda Never Satisfied

Member:
    Palmetto
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD.S DCSB 4x4
    Boosted TRD/URD All Terrain Sleeper w/ Sockmonkey Decals Worth +666HP
    Yeah, no key in the ignition. I believe only those supercharged with the external electric coolant pumps for the S/C'r

I wouldn't worry about the battery too much. If you are going to let your truck sit for weeks without driving it, or you let your truck sit for extended periods without cranking the engine then you should probably be using a tender or unhooking your battery to begin with. Daily or every other day driver, or even going on vacation for a couple weeks, I wouldn't worry. Now, if the battery is 4-5 years old, you'll know when it gets down in life and just replace it as most people do.

7. May 8, 2013 at 4:00 AM
    jester156

jester156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumberland, RI
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4. 3.0l Duramax
    The truck by design run the EVAP system every few hours. The design of the SC is in such a way that the coolant pump is tapped into that fuse so as it gets power, the pump runs.

8. Nov 29, 2015 at 6:33 AM
    Dirtboyz

Dirtboyz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spanaway, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCSB trd sport 4x4
    Front bilstein 5100 with OME 884 w/trim pack, 17" fuel trophy wheels wrapped with 32" toyot open country m/t, bakflip fibermax tonneau cover, Avec 30" led light bar behind lower grille, marathon seat covers in max 5 camo pattern, trimmed front and rear mud flaps, more to come.
    I know this is a very old tread but I have looked everywhere and cannot find an answer. I have a 14' non super charged but I do have the towing package with the trans cooler and I noticed the other day that after a decent amount of time of the truck being off I heard this and noise. Like a humming sound. Kind of like a pump or something has kicked on circulating fluid or something. Hope this tread isn't to old so I do not have to make a new one but is this normal. My guess is yes for some odd reason but I'm not 100% sure. Thanks for any replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top