1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dumbed Down User Manual

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by didychuk, May 31, 2013.

1. May 31, 2013 at 8:36 PM
    didychuk

didychuk [OP] New Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 4cyl 4wd Tacoma
    Not sure if this should be in Technical Chat but I had no other soap box to stand on.

I recently bought a used 2010 4wd, 4 cal, access cab Tacoma and gave my 1997 4wd, 4cyl extra cab to my son. While looking through the user manual that came with the 2010 I was astounded at how simple and useless the books have become. Is this just me or has anyone else noticed the lack of any useful information in the user manual. I can't even find out maintenance frequency for changing spark plugs. Just how dumb does Toyota think users are?

Granted, there are idiots who may need the information in the simplest form possible but why is that the norm?

Thankfully there are forums such as TacoWorld that connects users that put their shoes on the correct feet.

2. Jun 1, 2013 at 6:43 AM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    Maybe you got shorted on the manuals, but my '12 came with a *library* of manuals. The regular user/owner manual that explained what all the pretty lights are and calls out bulb types, towing, jacking and other precautions, and lists fluid capacities.

Another one listed the maintenance schedule and when to inspect/replace/drain/fill things.

Another one for the Stupid Entune Radio (Lord knows I tried to get a truck without that POS).

And a couple more about warranty and other nonsense.

If you go to toyotaowners.com, I think you can download or search the other manuals that normally come with the truck.

3. Jun 3, 2013 at 6:48 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I agree. The manuals that come from the factory in new trucks have pretty detailed information on everything. It sounds like you got shorted on your purchase of the 2010.

Products Discussed in

To Top