1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuel System Cleaning

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by tomcat91783, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Jun 3, 2013 at 11:32 AM
    tomcat91783

tomcat91783 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Short Bed
    Blacked-Out Headlights & Fog Lights, LED's on side markers, turn signals, and brake lights, Hyper White's on Head lights and Fog lights, Rollbak Tonneau Cover, Weathertech Window Guards-Hood Deflector, Running Boards, LED Bed Lights
    I was informed by Toyota Mechanics that I need have my fuel system cleaned due to carbon build up; I am losing about 50-60 miles, so my question is; is this something I can do myself? I'd like to save $100-250 bucks if it's do-able.

2. Jun 3, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
  3. Jun 3, 2013 at 11:45 AM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    I like using the Lucas fuel cleaner once in a while

4. Jun 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    tomcat91783

tomcat91783 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Short Bed
    Blacked-Out Headlights & Fog Lights, LED's on side markers, turn signals, and brake lights, Hyper White's on Head lights and Fog lights, Rollbak Tonneau Cover, Weathertech Window Guards-Hood Deflector, Running Boards, LED Bed Lights
    Thanks, I take it that I follow the instructions as directed and that's it?

5. Jun 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM
    SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    Seafoam it! I was told the same thing when I had my transmission fluid flushed. Funny thing, I asked why they would check that when all they were doing was the flush - they said its based on mileage and not by actual checking. Anyway, I wasn't about to pay that. Just got a can of seafoam, put 1/3 into the line and the rest into the tank. Smoked like a bitch for a little! Have read on here that this treatment is no different than what they do - so for about $10 get yourself a can of seafoam and do it yourself! There are a lot of threads on here about seafom, too...

6. Jun 7, 2013 at 9:49 PM
    Mr.Jack

Mr.Jack Active Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    Remote Start, 4 Hella Lights, Brush Guard, Grey Wire
    Use a fuel additive with PEA and use water instead of seafoam to decarb the engine. Also clean your MAF sensor. Those 3 things and my truck purs.

7. Jun 7, 2013 at 9:59 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Very risky. Both are risky, water even more so.
    It is very easy to hydrolock an engine dumping a liquid into the intake... and using the power brake line does not supply the product to all cylinders.

Unless the engine is knocking and you are getting run-on after shutdown, the cylinders do not need to be de-carbonized.

Just run a good fuel treatment in the tank, change your plugs, clean the MAF, and clean the TBI butterfly.

8. Jun 8, 2013 at 4:52 AM
    Mr.Jack

Mr.Jack Active Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    Remote Start, 4 Hella Lights, Brush Guard, Grey Wire
    I agree. I'm just saying it can be done and with great results. I won't go into it here, but there is a ton of information on how to and the history of this method online.

9. Jun 8, 2013 at 5:04 AM
    TexasPreRunner

TexasPreRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Antonio/Houston,TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner
    I just add a bottle of techron every couple tanks and run higher octane fuel,and it get a constant 19-20 mpg and also change the plugs when needed

10. Jun 8, 2013 at 7:44 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    X2 on the techron

11. Jun 9, 2013 at 10:14 AM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Not true.

12. Jun 9, 2013 at 11:56 AM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    It's a myth that goes back to the 70s.

The ONLY thing the octane rating does is impact the fuel's resistance to detonation/preiginition. It is basically a slight elevation in the flashpoint, making the fuel harder to ignite, but once ignited, the flame front far exceeds the flashpoint and the fuel will burn.
    The spark is also more than hot enough to ignite the mixture, so there is no change in when the mixture ignites. The speed of the flame front does not change.

The higher octane reduces the potential for "pinging" because it is more resistant to igniting during the compression stroke on hotter areas of the head (or the plug tip), so it allows for higher compression ratios and more advanced timing, which causes higher cylinder temperatures that could ignite lower octane fuels before the spark occurs.

So yes... I disagree with "even the mods here" if they are saying that higher octane increases carbon formation. It is a myth from the time when engines were designed and tuned to be run on 95+, and as lead was removed from fuel in the 70s, they began to have problems with pinging and "dieseling" on shutdown due to carbon deposits causing hot spots. These were issues with carb'd engines and poor tuning causing carbon formations from improper mixtures.

I had a '69 Buick that was horrible about that.

13. Jun 10, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Gotta agree with Rich here. Octane rating does not affect carbon build up. I have disassembled plenty of engines in my career and the higher compression engines running higher octane did not have any more build up on the valves or pistons than the other engines.

Running too rich, or running poor quality fuel will increase carbon build up. I always add a bottle of STP fuel treatment every 5 tanks to keep my pistons clean. When my old engine spun a main bearing and I took it apart, the pistons were almost spotless, with no real build up, other than a small amount of surface carbon.

The best way to keep carbon build up down is to use good quality fuel with detergents, replace your air filter as recommended, and change spark plugs at proper intervals.

14. Jun 10, 2013 at 11:26 AM
    pavemobile

pavemobile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport SR5 PreRunner
    K&N Intake
    Redline SI-1, use a whole bottle for a shock treatment if you haven't used any fuel system cleaner in the past. Clean your throttle body...THOROUGHLY; it will be filthy on the backside; take it off if you have to. Get a can of Seafoam Deep Creep with the 180 degree straw and spray it in the throttle body after all is put back together with the engine running. You'll see how it works when you see a can in the store. After all that, run it hard for a while, let it cool and then change plugs. GTG

Fiesta346 likes this.
  15. Jun 10, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    mltaylo3

mltaylo3 Army Retired

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    14 Pre-runner DCSB TX Edition MGM
    HID foglights, PIAA halogens, extang trifold tonneau, weathertech floormats, Alpine sound system
    +1 Rich and BamaToy. Can't always trust what you see on the internet. Experience is the best teacher.

16. Jun 10, 2013 at 11:32 AM
    bwanamukubwa

bwanamukubwa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Good answer.

Products Discussed in

To Top