1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Service finds Oil in #4

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by crippledeg, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Feb 28, 2009 at 11:33 AM
    crippledeg

crippledeg [OP] New Member

Member:
    Keyport
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD Pre Runner
    Recent service found oil in my #4 Sparkplug hole. Due to the fact there is no oil retention ring, ie a O-ring to seal. The Toyota dealership looked for every possible option only to find no explanation besides an improper fitment or a bad cylinder head.
    As they try to thumb through the delicate pages of the warranty to find a solution. I figured I ask here before i'm stuck in between a rock and hard place.
    So has anyone heard or had this problem?
    It's a 2002 Ext Cab Prerunner Six cyl. 92,000miles

2. Feb 28, 2009 at 3:12 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to Tacoma World!

Did they do a compresion test? Maybe the oil is comming from a valve? FWIW, A friend of mine had oil in his #4 cyl. and it turned out the EGR valve was bad causeing oil to go into that cyl.

3. Feb 28, 2009 at 5:11 PM
    BUK 0H5

BUK 0H5 Still For Sale

Member:
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Silver 09 2.7L Manual AccessCab SR5 PreRunner
    Removed Mud Flaps, Suspension TSB, 5100's all around, JVC KW-AVX710 Head Unit with Metra surround.
    I can understand them doing a compression check to see if the piston rings were worn and letting oil get by but I can't see how oil in the cylinder could be caused by a bad valve. A bad valve seal (most likely the intake valve seal) on the other hand could cause oil to leak down the stem of a valve and eventually into a cylinder, but a compression check can not detect a bad valve seal. A compression check would not spot a bad EGR valve either, and I cannot see how an EGR valve would cause oil to get in the cylinders since it strictly deals with the exhaust system. Now if there was oil in all of the cylinders, or a lot of oil in the intake manifold as well then I would say there could be an issue with the PCV system (maybe you meant PVC valve instead of EGR valve). Look for oil on the back of your throttle body or in the intake hose. If you see oil in there then you either need a new PVC valve (I'm not sure where they are located or how the system operates on this engine), or you will probably have low compression an a few cylinders which is causing blow-by and the blow-by is causing pressure to build up in your crankcase and forcing oil into the PVC system. If there is no oil in the intake manifold or tube then my bets would be valve seal if compression is good in #4 or bad rings if compression is low.

Does the truck smoke when you drive or accelerate? Does it smoke a bit when you first start it but then stop smoking after you drive for a bit?

4. Feb 28, 2009 at 5:28 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I did mean the PCV. My Bad. I always like to see a comp test incase any exesive carbon has built up in that cyl.

5. Feb 28, 2009 at 5:41 PM
    BUK 0H5

BUK 0H5 Still For Sale

Member:
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Removed Mud Flaps, Suspension TSB, 5100's all around, JVC KW-AVX710 Head Unit with Metra surround.
    Compression test for excessive carbon :confused: Your going to have to explain that one to me.

6. Feb 28, 2009 at 5:49 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I was told that if there is exesive carbon on the piston, it would raise the combustion pressure......carbon build up from oil being burned..... Was I told wrong??

7. Feb 28, 2009 at 6:09 PM
    AUDITECH

AUDITECH Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION

Member:
    charlotte nc
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab prerunner
    none
    yes to much carbon will raise the compression but you are talking alot and the check engine light should have come on pointing to the problem causing the carbon build up. these engines almost run to hot and high compression to have carbon problems.

8. Feb 28, 2009 at 6:12 PM
    BUK 0H5

BUK 0H5 Still For Sale

Member:
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yes, that will raise your compression ratio, but a compression test does not show compression ratios. It only shows that you cylinder has the ability to compress air.

Products Discussed in

To Top